227. Continued... Here' the new direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my part, I'd rather not see most of these issues outside of the random stuff thread.

AP

I hear you. I'd just say that having a random stuff thread means all sorts of things get mixed up in the one thread. Personally, I'd like to see a random stuff forum where different threads can be raised.

This must have been Alex's intention all along, there's certainly nothing in the "your help needed..." thread that would have lead to this option....

It might work though.... Arouet, please hang around, even if it's mainly on the "fun" forum, rather than the "sterile, gently stroke each other" forum

There is no "gold star" here. This is a natural distinction between conversations about whether psi is genuine, and other conversations that accept that psi is genuine in order to continue.
If that's the distinction, then no one should be tagged "Associate," at least not yet. How do you know how I am going act in the Skeptiko forum?

~~ Paul

Arouet, please hang around, even if it's mainly on the "fun" forum, rather than the "sterile, gently stroke each other" forum

Hahahaha. I know there is a snyde remark in there, and if I allow myself to, I could feel slightly offended and highly patronised, but I just can't help but share that it made me laugh. Like being back in the playground. Thanks for that malf. :D

Hahahaha. I know there is a snyde remark in there, and if I allow myself to, I could feel slightly offended and highly patronised, but I just can't help but share that it made me laugh. Like being back in the playground. Thanks for that malf. :D

Imo :)

quit whining.

this is an opportunity gained. I've had you (and others) on ignore for three years. I think I'll find it easier to interact with you over in BvS... I think others will as well.
I am actually a bit shocked by this.
But apart from that, you missed an awful lot Alex, from all the non-proponents that ever posted on your forum he is the one most open to suggestions.
He just recently started several threads that tried to deal with long standing criticisms towards skeptics.
The respect he shows to just about everybody on your forum is nothing less then exemplary.
If he can not get your attention and respect, nobody on the skeptical side will.

This must have been Alex's intention all along, there's certainly nothing in the "your help needed..." thread that would have lead to this option....

It might work though.... Arouet, please hang around, even if it's mainly on the "fun" forum, rather than the "sterile, gently stroke each other" forum

It is quite possible that people gravitate to the debate forum. It wouldn't surprise me so see more than a few proponents on that board. But here's the part I think you're missing: We have had different experiences with this. Some of us have already been down that path, made a decision and moved on. In my case it was years ago. For me personally, that type of argument is all just a re-hash. It's all just arguing with people I can't learn from because they are less informed than I am. Frequently they try to mask it by simply doubting everything I say. If that kind of debate seems new and fresh to you, great! have at it!

I am actually a bit shocked by this.
But apart from that, you missed an awful lot Alex, from all the non-proponents that ever posted on your forum he is the one most open to suggestions.
He just recently started several threads that tried to deal with long standing criticisms towards skeptics.
The respect he shows to just about everybody on your forum is nothing less then exemplary.
If he can not get your attention and respect, nobody on the skeptical side will.

Things are not always as they appear to be.

If there was any one post that makes your interest in psi appear to be disingenuous, this is it. It could be translated as "If I cannot prevent conversations from happening, I don't want to be here any more."

There is no "gold star" here. This is a natural distinction between conversations about whether psi is genuine, and other conversations that accept that psi is genuine in order to continue.

AP

What on earth arer you talking about paqart? When have I ever tried to prevent conversations from happening?

Things are not always as they appear to be.

Craig, you've already been fooled by someone posing as me on the rational wiki. If you think there is something nefarious going on with me let's address it directly. From my perspective its laughable that you could think this but that's just because I know there isn't anything going on. But I recognise that you probably have some reason to think otherwise. So why not address it directly?

There is no banishment of dissent going on here. Debates are going to be in the debate forum, conversations that are explorations of the material go in the other forum. This is a natural division.

Sure, as long as the people participating in the conversation about exploring the material don't have any doubts about it.

This is Alex's site, he can do anything he wants with it. My impression is that there are people here who don't like to hear from any people who doubt their conclusions, and they've complained to Alex. Alex's explanation for the change is basically just to try it and see how it goes, which I can't really argue with. But the others here who are trying to justify it with actual reasons are not doing a good job.

Craig, you've already been fooled by someone posing as me on the rational wiki. If you think there is something nefarious going on with me let's address it directly. From my perspective its laughable that you could think this but that's just because I know there isn't anything going on. But I recognise that you probably have some reason to think otherwise. So why not address it directly?

Oh. This isn't anything I haven't told you before. I am not questioning your politeness. I just don't think you're the impartial consensus builder that you make yourself out to be. As others have pointed out, you go out of your way to defend the skeptical position on this board and based on your history, you don't seem to be open to the existence of psi . . . at all. You do nothing but question all the evidence over and over again.

You don't have the nastiness of many hardline skeptics, but I haven't seen any behavior I would call open minded either.

Regarding rationalwiki: The comment has been there quite awhile. Feel free to have it removed.

Oh. This isn't anything I haven't told you before. I am not questioning your politeness. I just don't think you're the impartial consensus builder that you make yourself out to be. As others have pointed out, you go out of your way to defend the skeptical position on this board and based on your history, you don't seem to be open to the existence of psi . . . at all. You do nothing but question all the evidence over and over again.

You don't have the nastiness of many hardline skeptics, but I haven't seen any behavior I would call open minded either.
But you're defining open-mindedness as "changing your mind." Why?

~~ Paul

What on earth arer you talking about paqart? When have I ever tried to prevent conversations from happening?

I'll speak up for you. I don't think you have prevented conversations, but I do think you have diverted them at times. There are worse offenders than you in that respect.

I really don't see what the issue is: there's going to be one forum where dyed-in-the-wool sceptics won't be allowed to divert discussion, and there's another where they can have at it. It's entirely possible that some proponents will like to venture onto BvS, and they know if they do, they'll have no grounds for complaint against sceptics. No need to use the ignore feature any longer: if you want your discussion to be minus the diversions, there's a place to go and certainly have them. We used to have the old forum Havens, but proponents got the raw end of the deal. Alex seems to me to be wanting the tail to stop wagging the dog.

You won't find many Web forums where people against the views of the host are given a place where they can freely express their views. Why you don't see it as a positive benefit is beyond me. You're just so used to being able to wag the dog on the old forum that you think it's a right. Actually, it's not. It's a privilege.

I'm not saying you did, but that your post reads that way. The only reason to complain about the more controlled conversation in the podcast forum would be that you want to interfere with it. This doesn't mean you would or that you want to, but that your message comes off that way. My impression is that there is some hyperbole in there somewhere.

AP

I'm not saying you did, but that your post reads that way. The only reason to complain about the more controlled conversation in the podcast forum would be that you want to interfere with it. This doesn't mean you would or that you want to, but that your message comes off that way. My impression is that there is some hyperbole in there somewhere.
And on this basis Arouet has already been tagged as an "Associate."

Can't you folks at least wait to add the scarlet "A" based on actual events?

~~ Paul

Last edited:

Can't you folks at least wait and add the scarlet "A" based on actual events?

~~ Paul
I've just been made associate to, if it puts me in the same category as you and Arouet, i will wear it as a badge of honor

Can't you folks at least wait to add the scarlet "A" based on actual events?

~~ Paul
I think that based upon your 12,000+ previous posts the moderators might just have a pretty good idea where you stand, how you argue and what your arguments are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back