Mod+ 243. SCOTT DE TAMBLE EXPLORES LIVES BETWEEN LIVES

Can you tell me how you managed to attach files? Is there a limitation on file sizes?

Well, attaching files is easy: there is a button called 'Upload File' right next to the button called 'Post Reply'. I don't know the limit on file sizes. The files I attached are textfile hence not very large. There is also a limitation on filetype however: I had to rename the file extension from .srt to .txt.

Well, attaching files is easy: there is a button called 'Upload File' right next to the button called 'Post Reply'. I don't know the limit on file sizes. The files I attached are textfile hence not very large. There is also a limitation on filetype however: I had to rename the file extension from .srt to .txt.
Thanks. I don't know how I've managed not to notice that before! :)

Hi Alex; Love your show. Discovered it about a year ago and have been catching up on previous pod casts. Wanted to share with you my experience on past life regression. I had one almost thirty years ago conducted by a pychic/channeler in Santa Barbara on the recommendation of a friend. I had some pointed relationship and confidence issues and it seemed like an interesting exercise. I also am a scientific minded analytic and although open minded, had the observing myself thing going on. When she was putting me through the relaxation exercise, my mind chatter was going on and on and I was pretty sure this wasn't going to work. After the first relaxation progression (start relaxing feet, continue up body, that kind of thing) I said, I know I'm still here in Santa Barbara (I was also expecting to "go" somewhere else) So, she put me through the relaxation exercise again. After that round, she asked me to look at my feet. I "saw" my feet in sandals on cobble stones and though "Yes, right, I'm in ancient Rome, Pahleeeze," so I rejected that one because it was so cliche I though for sure I was making it up. Then a was in some field somewhere with carts (these are just fleeting images and feelings, kind of dream like.) I'm rejecting one image after the other because they just seemed too predicable. Finally, I thought, just go with it, I'm paying her $50 (a lot for me at the time), so what if I'm making all this up, just go with it. So, I finally "landed" in a dark hallway in a crappy little house in some dark area. This was not like a motion picutre, but it also wasn't like a dream, and I got more impressions than actual images. As she was asking me questions, it took a long time for me to answer because it really did feel like hard work to pull up the answers. Kind of like your guest's description of a Polaroid developing. I also didn't get any details about where I was; probably some mining village, probably Eastern Europe, probably in the 1800s -- but what I really got was that I was an ugly, disappointed little woman in a little poor village with an indifferent husband that drank too much and angry children who wanted to get the hell out of the house. Not exactly your romantic past life! My sister and I dissected the story afterward (she was in there with me) and we actually did see a lot of correlations between my feelings here and what was going on there. Was it really a past life? Did I just suck it out of my imagination? Who cares! The "experience" just put certain things into context and I got something out of it. Haven't been hypnotized since then, but as I approach retirement age from my day job, this form of therapy intrigues me.

Hi all,

Does anyone remember On A Clear Day You Can See Forever? lol. For 35 years that is about the extent of my thoughts on reincarnation and hypnosis.

Then a few years ago (after a severe injury and NDE) a friend gave me Many Lives Many Masters by Dr Weiss and it was the first I had heard of this type of thing "for reals". And from there I ran across Life Between Lives and other works by Dr. Newton. Among dozens of other similar concepts. Of course at the time it seemed really curious and like I had been living under a rock for not already knowing about any of it.

I remember having thoughts back when that I should attend one of those conferences where Dr. Weiss gives group regression sessions, but did not really want to do a group thing. So I finally tried past-life regression therapy a couple years ago (with someone apparently very reputable) due to traumas and such beginning from childhood, and yes, had what appeared as memories, albeit quite boring. And also, as recommended by a gastroenterologist (at Johns Hopkins), I did hypnotherapy for attempts at "physical" healing ( http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120402124446.htm ) and it seemed to work okay at the time.

It can all seem very fascinating and, at minimum, it does seem to give the mind some interesting concepts to spin around!

Wanted to share with you my experience on past life regression........

That was an interesting account - certainly much more successful that Alex's experiment! I wonder if there is any hope of picking up on the immediate previous life - where it might be possible to corroborate some of the facts.

David

Enjoyed the interview with Scott De Tamble. Having just been certified in Quantum Healing Hypnosis and as a Psychic Medium I understand the perspective of being Hypnotized fairly well.

Alex, you're basing your experience with both Bruce and Scott based on whether or not you went under. Fact of the matter is only 1 in 10 usually go completely under. I myself cannot go completely under as when I do readings I use all of my senses to do the work that I do.

If you trusted the process trust what you see, feel, hear, smell and even taste while going through the experience I bet you would have had a better experience. It truly wasn't a matter of how good they were. It's a matter of you letting go and just trusting the process. I think Scott gave you enough information so that you knew what to expect in your session. If he's willing, Scott that is.. you should give it another go with a different perspective of how you will approach it.

It's like being in a daydream. Ever drive and not know how you got home? Ever watch a movie that you were so submersed in it? Same difference. Just enjoy the process and let it unfold before you. The process is amazing. I look forward to hearing an update.
Hi Irene... I totally accept that everyone is different... but not sure about the rest of what you're saying. I never like the "if you trust the process" kinda stuff. Bruce seemed like a flake, Scott did not. I gonna keep at the hypnosis thing and see what turns up.

But the process seems to me to really be one of letting go. If you are a person with a tightly integrated sense of ego, or your thought stream is really tightly wound, then you may need to learn to relax those a little before you can be really successful with this kind of thing. I also worked quite a bit on relaxing any preconceptions or expectations before the session. I don't know any of the details about how this works, but I think an empty mind is probably the ultimate jumping off point for this kind of activity.

But how do we know this!. we need a little science here or we wind up just swapping stories.

Also, I think understanding stage hypnosis is key to understanding the process. I'm always amazed when folks want to bracket stage hypnosis in a separate category.

Cool interview Alex.
I was giggling when you commented about Goldberg... I used to listen to him on C2C too and found him very "suspicious" to say the least. It's great to be super confident of your skills and abilities but he's was mostly bragging all the times. Turns out he's too much hat and very little cattle :D

I did have two experiences and a half with past lives ... :) Years ago I contacted a British psychic for a personal reading. He turned out to be an impressive guy. He sent back a long, detailed written report with all sorts of accurate feelings about me and my situation at the time.
A few months later I asked him to give me a past life reading. This works differently from an hypnotic regression, in that the client doesn't do anything. He receives the impressions of the past life that is most relevant to the current one and describes the main themes, characters and events that occurred.

I ended up doing a reading for me and one for my wife and again he didn't fail to impress both of us. It's not much about the story he told us, but the themes and struggles of the past lives did have a resonance with where we were at that time in our lives.

I then turned on the little skeptic hamster inside my head and let him spin the skeptical wheel at full speed but I couldn't find much room for debunking.

So this accounts for the 2 experiences. The last "half" is this.
I was listening to Dr. Brian Weiss interviewed many years ago on Coast To Coast while working at home. I was writing code at the computer and listening absently. At one point G. Noory asked to describe how the hypnotic induction worked and invited Dr Weiss to simulate the beginning of a regression for the listeners.

I started listening more closely as he was conducting this brief induction, closed my eyes, listened to the instructions: at the end of those he was asking to picture a door in front of me and imagining to open the door and describe the feelings and images that would follow.

Well... I did open the door in a light trance-state and I had an hyper-vivid experience, I found myself on the top of a hill near to large country house, I was very disappointed and angry. Someone (a lady) was coming towards me to calm me down and invite me back in the house. The imagery was crystal clear, the feeling pretty strong and I could see it like a movie going on for at least a couple of minutes. The clothes were definitely of another time, at least 2-300 years ago, the place reminded me of places in the south of where I live.

If I had any previous similar experiences I wouldn't have given much thought to this. But that was a first and it stayed with me for quite some time. To this day I have no idea what happened but I find it strange and I am inclined to count it as an half past life regression :)

cheers
wow... that's a great story Marco.

I'm still making my way through the interview, but I have admit that I am very skeptical of past-life regression and between-life regression (as well as hypnotic future progression). I tend to accept Ian Stevenson's view of hypnotic regression (and very much accept the validity of children's past-life memories). So far, De Tamble is doing nothing to allay my concerns. In my opinion, the first priority with something like this is to find some reliable way to verify whether anything real is being remembered--the same as with hypnotic regression used to recover alien abduction experiences. It's not enough to say that it is therapeutically useful; it's not enough to say that there are remarkable consistencies between accounts (neither of which have I heard De Tamble even say yet; so far he seems unconcerned with verification). You need harder evidence, in my view.

All that being said, yes, I did have two past-life regressions many years ago (when I was less skeptical about the subject). They were unfortunately a complete joke. I think I am part of the non-hypnotizable segment of the population. I can tell you that the failure of my sessions wasn't because of fear or resistance. I really wanted to remember something. I'm just not a good subject when it comes to hypnosis. I used to really bristle at being told it was because I had resistance. I would say "OK, let's both do a math test, and when you lose I'll tell you it was because you are resistant to mathematics." I hope I've let some of that anger go!

It helped when I started finding figures estimating what percent of the population cannot be hypnotized. I just did a quick search and found figures like 25% and 10%. Interesting that those figures are quite a bit higher than De Tamble's estimates of those who are unable to hypnotically access the between-life state.

I can share a funny story, though, from one of my regressions. I wasn't getting anything, so the woman guiding me through it suggested that I just say the first thing that came to mind, without any filtering--don't evaluate it; just say it. So I did. The result was that I was standing in a forest, dressed, if I remember, like a cross between Daniel Boone and the Tin Woodsman, and a flying saucer appeared and hovered overhead, and a door opened up and a big pile of dirty laundry was dumped out on top of me. She was trying to work out in her head if there was some way this could be a valid past-life memory, but I think even she gave up!
Hi Robert... I appreciate your skepticism. I definitely think there's something here, but it's interesting how it manifestes in such a scammy way sometimes. same with medium readings... I've had some great ones, so I know it's real, but I'd had some that sounded scammy. Not because the medium was scammy, but it's just seems to be the nature of this kinds of communication.

But how do we know this!. we need a little science here or we wind up just swapping stories.

Also, I think understanding stage hypnosis is key to understanding the process. I'm always amazed when folks want to bracket stage hypnosis in a separate category.

There is a more than a little bit of science that understands states of consciousness coming to us from Eastern practices of meditation. There are libraries full of it! I'm a bit flabbergasted you would think the idea of taming the monkey mind or the idea of loosening the grip of one's ego as an end to different states of consciousness are 'swapping stories.' This territory is mapped, again and again.

Hi Irene... I totally accept that everyone is different... but not sure about the rest of what you're saying. I never like the "if you trust the process" kinda stuff. Bruce seemed like a flake, Scott did not. I gonna keep at the hypnosis thing and see what turns up.

What I mean by trusting the process is, you've gone to two people who are highly qualified in their field of study. You wouldn't call a plumber to put a roof on your house.
Leave the judgements at the door and just let go and go through the experience. It's not what most people think being hypnotized is because of what the movie industry and shown.

I had a session yesterday with a woman that couldn't let go, every life she was shown it started with trees, well come to find out she was sick of seeing trees so she was resistant to what was unfolding before her. Now I have to do another session with her because she was fearful and didn't want to see more trees! :) That's all trust that Scott has 12 years under his belt and just maybe it could of gone way different.

There is a more than a little bit of science that understands states of consciousness coming to us from Eastern practices of meditation. There are libraries full of it! I'm a bit flabbergasted you would think the idea of taming the monkey mind or the idea of loosening the grip of one's ego as an end to different states of consciousness are 'swapping stories.' This territory is mapped, again and again.
I think stage hypnosis kinda flies in the face of some of this. some people ordinary people are able to go very very deep... your model would have to apply here. I don't think it does.

To this day I have no idea what happened but I find it strange and I am inclined to count it as an half past life regression.

Marco, agreed, fun story! It seems nice that some can put words to their stories. Any time I have tried, words drop away or sound too flat to even bother.

While I have had similar experiences as described by many it seems (also some through visions which appeared vivid, palpable, and pretty mind-blowing), at the time I had thoughts they would be significant somehow, but in retrospect, they have not. One vision was during a craniosacral appointment and rocked my socks, while the others appeared mostly during my own personal meditation moments (although I have never been a serious meditator).

If someone had told me 10 years ago all these experiences awaiting me, I would have laughed in their face. So, as far as "fitting some mold", I would be the opposite of what some may say is "practicing stilling the mind" or "deep meditator". More like, I am the nobody on the stage.

In my opinion, the first priority with something like this is to find some reliable way to verify whether anything real is being remembered

This is definitely why the stories we hear of those who know great detail about deceased (and documented) persons, but in no way knowable to them otherwise, are so alluring. Or, while some may not remember "who they were", they will know exact details about old villages or buildings they have never visited before. Makes it all seem somehow plausible.

Last edited:
I think stage hypnosis kinda flies in the face of some of this. some people ordinary people are able to go very very deep... your model would have to apply here. I don't think it does.

You are fixated on going into deep hypnotic trance when it is not required for this process.

How would you compare the state of consciousness required for this process with the one required for scrying, for example?

Hi Alex,
I'm not sure where you're going with this re stage hypnosis. Is it that one is aimed for laughs and the other is supposed to be serious paranormal stuff? I'm not sure the process is much different, just the intended outcome.

At our high school more than 40 years ago, we had an entertaining assembly with a stage hypnotist who beforehand asked for volunteers from the student body. My brother was selected. He said first, off stage, the hypnotist tested each volunteer for suggestibility and selected the ones who responded the quickest. Then during the program, for our amusement, he had them do a bunch of things like shiver because it was so cold, fan themselves because it was so hot, become ballerinas, I don't know what all they did, it was mildly embarrassing for them an hilarious to us. Afterwards, I asked my brother about it; he said he knew exactly what he was doing, could have refused any request the hypnotist made, but just didn't really care if he looked stupid and decided to go along with the suggestions.

So, not sure what science you're after regarding the hypnotic process -- although I really appreciate that science is what you are all about on your show -- since hypnosis has been pretty well characterized and is in wide clinical use.

I have to agree with some of the other commenters that if you (or anyone) had trouble being hypnotized, there's a good chance you got in your own way -- (no blame or shame, it’s a process) and agree with you that you need to keep practicing. I reiterate my point in my previous post-- let go of expectations, just go with it. You are not doing a scientific study here, you are having an experience. The chances of you being able to get anything verifiable is likely to be very slim, so don’t focus on that.

As an aside on this topic for you and the forum members: if you aren't familiar with it, you ought to check out Marge Rieder, Ph.D.'s 1993 books "Mission to Millboro" and the follow up "Return to Millboro" about a group reincarnation event of about fifteen people near lake Elsinore, Ca. who evidently used to live in a little town in VA during the civil war. It’s very compelling and the story reads like a novel.

Hi Alex,
I'm not sure where you're going with this re stage hypnosis. Is it that one is aimed for laughs and the other is supposed to be serious paranormal stuff? I'm not sure the process is much different, just the intended outcome.

At our high school more than 40 years ago, we had an entertaining assembly with a stage hypnotist who beforehand asked for volunteers from the student body. My brother was selected. He said first, off stage, the hypnotist tested each volunteer for suggestibility and selected the ones who responded the quickest. Then during the program, for our amusement, he had them do a bunch of things like shiver because it was so cold, fan themselves because it was so hot, become ballerinas, I don't know what all they did, it was mildly embarrassing for them an hilarious to us. Afterwards, I asked my brother about it; he said he knew exactly what he was doing, could have refused any request the hypnotist made, but just didn't really care if he looked stupid and decided to go along with the suggestions.

So, not sure what science you're after regarding the hypnotic process -- although I really appreciate that science is what you are all about on your show -- since hypnosis has been pretty well characterized and is in wide clinical use.

I have to agree with some of the other commenters that if you (or anyone) had trouble being hypnotized, there's a good chance you got in your own way -- (no blame or shame, it’s a process) and agree with you that you need to keep practicing. I reiterate my point in my previous post-- let go of expectations, just go with it. You are not doing a scientific study here, you are having an experience. The chances of you being able to get anything verifiable is likely to be very slim, so don’t focus on that.

As an aside on this topic for you and the forum members: if you aren't familiar with it, you ought to check out Marge Rieder, Ph.D.'s 1993 books "Mission to Millboro" and the follow up "Return to Millboro" about a group reincarnation event of about fifteen people near lake Elsinore, Ca. who evidently used to live in a little town in VA during the civil war. It’s very compelling and the story reads like a novel.
I think I agree with this in general.
Most of the strange experiences I've had were during meditations: with my mind very relaxed, feeling extremely lightweight almost as if I was out of my body. No expectations, no questions or judgement during the process.

I have practiced this for several years using different meditation techniques, mainly with the objective of acquainting myself with different meditations practices. I wasn't looking to have an OBE or anything like that. The few times I sat trying to obtain something specific (deep relaxation, lucid dream, etc...) I would normally fail.

When I just sat there without anticipation I would usually get the best out of my meditations and every once in a while I would get one those "strange trips".
I have experimented with various things to induce altered states of consciousness: Vipassana, Monroe Institute excercises, binarual beats, guided self hypnosis, low frequency transcranial EM fields, but no drugs :)

I went through a phase in which I was particularly interested in achieving low alpha / high theta states and try to maintain them. I got pretty close but I have not mastered it.

Back on the topic I wonder if are we all supposed to have strong memories of past lives, ready to jump out of our unconscious as soon as we're guided by a hypnotist.
Maybe people seeking for a past-life or in-between-life regression have already spent quite a long time dealing with substantial issues in their lives, but their questions are left unanswered and they finally get to the hypnotist after having looked almost everywhere.

Maybe it's not just all about being a good subject for hypnosis but also about how strong and resonant these alleged past experiences are with the current life? (I say alleged because I am not sure if they must be take literally, some of them seem quite literal, other probably not?)

@alex.tsakiris: you said in the podcast that you're going to work a bit more on the hypnosis process. Have you ever tried Monroe's Focus #10? It is one of several levels of altered consciousness states that they teach via a program that is called "Gateway", if I remember correctly. You can get in on CD from Amazon and several other places.
It's a pretty effective set of guided exercises. It may help with your ability to relax and go down in deep alpha state.

ETA: see here...
http://www.monroeinstitute.org/research/focus-10-mind-awake-body-asleep

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Exper...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398453531&sr=1-1

Hi Alex, I had past life regression about 6 years ago, and like yourself I was excited but also a bit sceptical about whether it was going to be just my subconscious playing with me.
There were certain key things that happened during the session that really convinced me that I wasn't making it up.
1, to test and see how far under I was my hypnotherapist asked me to let go of left arm, she said don't force it, but don't resist, and let's see if it will rise up,(I was lying down at the time), and I can honestly say that it felt like there was someone else or something else lifting my arm off the bed that I was lying on, it was a very strange sensation.
2, when asked where I was, once I had regressed, I knew the answers, they came immediately, as if someone was asking me something in everyday life, like what's your name?, how old are you?
And the third thing that really blew my mind , I revisited a place that I had had a dream about years ago, and it was one of those really vivid dreams that stays in your mind.
So , it turns out that my name was dimitri , I ran a tavern in Northern Italy , and I died in 769 AD, at age 44 of some sort of chest infection and fever. Which could be why in this life I suffer from asthma...maybe?
Any way, it also helped me resolve a lot of personal issues I had at the time, which in turn helped me to move my life on in a good direction, and from that perspective I found it most beneficial.

So , it turns out that my name was dimitri , I ran a tavern in Northern Italy , and I died in 769 AD, at age 44 of some sort of chest infection and fever. Which could be why in this life I suffer from asthma...maybe?
Any way, it also helped me resolve a lot of personal issues I had at the time, which in turn helped me to move my life on in a good direction, and from that perspective I found it most beneficial.
Interesting post, thanks.
Dimitri is a very uncommon name in Italy, unless you have russian/balkan origins, did you learn more about the origins of the character from the past live?

Back