Mod+ 257. DR. DIANE POWELL FINDS TELEPATHY AMONG AUTISTIC SAVANT CHILDREN

I want to thank you for your belief in me and your generous contributions to The Telepathy Project! The documentary is going to happen, and we have several reasons to be celebrating.

It's difficult to understand how the documentary is going to happen unless there's a major injection from cash from another source. The estimated cost was $487,000, and her crowdsourcing campaign raised only $7,000.

Thanks Michael.

Sorry to be the party pooper but... are those in the paper held in the pic really Hindi letters?
From a cursory search on the web it seems that some might be, others might vaguely be, and others definitely aren't.

hindi-devanagari-vowels-omniglot-com.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari

Any Hindi speaking folks in here?

This is really encouraging - I do hope something concrete will come out this time. The fact that the child is not autistic, is good, because presumably he will be more cooperative and less quirky.

To me, even the fact that a child can acquire so much knowledge at such a young age, is indicative of something ψ-like. Provided it doesn't turn out that the kid has been coached like crazy, you have to ask how he could have picked up so many languages.

David

It's difficult to understand how the documentary is going to happen unless there's a major injection from cash from another source. The estimated cost was $487,000, and her crowdsourcing campaign raised only $7,000.

I was under the impression that the Telepathy Project would continue working with Hayley (the girl in the videos posted a few months back) under more tightly controlled conditions?

Maybe Powell chose Ram because he is not autistic, and, therefore, effective working with him does not require long - and costly - preparatory period which would be inevitable with Hayley...

With her severely limited financial resources, it is quite reasonable for Diane to prefer the path of least resistance.

Maybe Powell chose Ram because he is not autistic, and, therefore, effective working with him does not require long - and costly - preparatory period which would be inevitable with Hayley...

With her severely limited financial resources, it is quite reasonable for Diane to prefer the path of least resistance.

The thing is that Dr Powell herself suggested a way around the previous criticisms would be to use the same protocol, but with the therapist holding the stencil blind to the target. Obviously that wouldn't be significantly harder than what's already been done. It would be strange if this means she is going to drop Hayley without trying that, after all the work that's already been done.

Maybe it was tried with negative results? My feeling is that chopping and changing research practices doesn't inspire too much confidence.
Well let's be fair. She seems to have access to a number of remarkable individuals, and it does make sense for her to pick the one that imposes the least possible complications - such as those which rendered her previous video unconvincing.

David

I was under the impression that the Telepathy Project would continue working with Hayley (the girl in the videos posted a few months back) under more tightly controlled conditions?

In this podcast from last November, Powell said Hayley was able to point to numbers while the stencil was in a stand:

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2014/11/12-20-mu-podcast/

It's unfortunate that we have no idea how the girl performed in this more structured format.

Doug

In this podcast from last November, Powell said Hayley was able to point to numbers while the stencil was in a stand:

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2014/11/12-20-mu-podcast/

It's unfortunate that we have no idea how the girl performed in this more structured format.

Doug
I have not had the money to return to document what she can do now, which is why I started the crowdfunding campaign. Fortunately, Rupert Sheldrake and Deepak Chopra learned of my work recently and are lending their support. I have been doing this research through self-funding, which has meant practicing psychiatry during the day and working on this during my "off-hours." Once I am free of such financial concerns, much more data will be forthcoming on a regular basis. Unfortunately, forums such as this one impede my progress by demanding time, thereby taking away from the very limited time I have had to do the actual work. I'm optimistic now that this will change. I will be updating my website so that those who want to follow my progress can do so by joining the team, which will give them exclusive updates.

I am going to receive money from two foundations. I will get more data and hopefully this will lead to more funding. The $487,000 figure is the projected cost for the documentary, which is the product that needs to be created to meet Indiegogo requirements. The next phase of research can be done with the funds I either have or anticipate receiving soon. I will be presenting the data I collect between now and May at the Towards a Science of Consiousness conference in Helsinki this June.

I will be publishing my article about Hayley. I have had to sort through some of the controversy about the appropriate statistical methods to apply to the data.

As I said, I won't be bothering to read any papers from that last debarcle with Hayley, as it was very clear from the videos, that there was obvious cueing, feedback, and error's. I won't even get into the problems with Haley's talker, which used self-learning predictive spelling.

As for your blog, from which you removed many posts offering serious criticism of your experiment, I have to laugh at the irony, as the headline for your funding campaign began "Science Uncensored..."

Unfortunately, forums such as this one impede my progress by demanding time, thereby taking away from the very limited time I have had to do the actual work.

Thank you for responding.

Regarding your comment on forums, isn't it a constructive thing to have the experimental protocol scrutinised as closely as possible for potential flaws before the work is done? It seems that people here identified potential cueing mechanisms that you weren't aware of yourself, and which hadn't been discussed at the Parapsychological Association meeting (at least publicly).

Unfortunately, forums such as this one impede my progress by demanding time, thereby taking away from the very limited time I have had to do the actual work.

I am going to receive money from two foundations. I will get more data and hopefully this will lead to more funding. The $487,000 figure is the projected cost for the documentary, which is the product that needs to be created to meet Indiegogo requirements. The next phase of research can be done with the funds I either have or anticipate receiving soon. I will be presenting the data I collect between now and May at the Towards a Science of Consiousness conference in Helsinki this June.

Have you considered what strategy you might use to force the mainstream scientific community to accept the validity of your data and the reality of ESP? For example, the Targ and Puthoff paper that was published in
Nature, is just one among many, many other research reports demonstrating ESP, but it had little effect on mainstream scientific thought. Do you think you can make a difference? Is there something different about your experiments that will make the results undeniable and unignorable?

Can you say which foundations are funding your research?

Last edited:
Back