Mod+ 284. Why police don’t use psychic detectives? Even though they are effective.

Discussion in 'Skeptiko Shows' started by Alex, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Alex

Alex New

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Johnny, Trancestate and K9! like this.
  2. bluebird

bluebird New

She couldn't pass muster in her own home town. Google TambaBay Skeptics Renier

It is good to have on "psychics", Do more. ;)

3. Alex

Alex New

yeah, more total BS from some pretty messed-up skeptics. pls dig a little further if you're gonna post on this thread.

4. Michael Larkin

Michael Larkin Member

Alex's question at the end of the interview:

Alex thinks that police departments are less likely now to use psychic resources on account of successful sceptical pressure. What do you think about that?

5. http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2013/09/practical-uses-of-esp-joe-mcmoneagle-on.html

Psiclops and Trancestate like this.
  6. K9!

K9! New

I think it's sad but true. I also think skeptical pressure is keeping parapsychologists from openly using psychics in research. Dean Radin stated this week on Art Bell's show that he would not consider using someone thought to be psychically gifted in experiments.

Ian Gordon and Trancestate like this.
  7. Hurmanetar

Hurmanetar New

Home Page:
    Great interview!

Why do police departments shy away from using psychics even though they can be effective?

Since I am still viewing the world through my newly acquired lens of structure / anti-structure developed from "The Trickster and the Paranormal" by George P. Hansen, I'll answer accordingly... Police departments are highly structured hierarchical organizations and they exist to support societal structures and institutions. Consequently, their methods of operation must be highly structured and have the appearance of rationality. Since there is no known rational explanation for psychic phenomena, employing psychics undercuts the foundation of rationality and control that the structure of hierarchy is built upon. Yes psychics can be very effective at providing important information, but giving prominence to psychics takes a toll on the overall organism of the state in its current state of evolution.

Edit: the marginalization of psychics and the occult has been an important part of the development of the state and societal structures for ages. For example the Hebraic law has some very odd requirements that seem to be ridiculous unless you view them as a means to bring cohesiveness to a group. The outlawing of psychics and mediums is one such law.

Reece and Lusikka like this.
  8. Alex

Alex New

Interesting... why? I thought this was one of his areas of interest... i.e. extraordinarily gifted.

9. Alex

Alex New

Interesting... I've never really bought into Hansen's take the "trickster." And I'm not sure it fits here... I think cops have done a better job than other institutions (e.g. academia, church, government) at embracing psychics. Similar to the way doctors are more open to NDEs... both groups are more likely to go with whatever gets the job done.

I should have Hansen on some time.

10. K9!

K9! New

He said that it would encourage them to have big egos if they were successful at tests, if they weren't already afflicted as such.

I have to say that I was surprised to hear his comments.

EDIT: Doug was kind enough to provide a quote from Art Bell's interview with Dean Radin:

[In response to a caller who spoke about ego creating interference in psychic experiments]

Dean (1:57:20):

"She's completely correct in terms of ego getting in the way. That's definitely -- we see that in the lab a lot. That's one of the reasons, by the way, that we don't test people who come to us who claim to have special abilities. Because the moment that they learn that maybe they may have some kind of ability, their ego always becomes inflated, and we don't want to be responsible for that."

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  11. Chris

Chris Guest

I can imagine why he might not want to encourage a lot of people to approach him with claims that they have psychic powers. Could that just be a diplomatic way of putting it?

12. K9!

K9! New

It could. But in the process he's essentially stated that all gifted psychics are not very nice people.

13. Steve

Steve Member

I don't see why gifted psychics 'ego' are different from any other human. If he has that problem then it must be with everyone, surely ?

Ian Gordon, Reece and K9! like this.
  14. K9!

K9! New

I've certainly met my share of scientists with big egos.

Judith, Alex, Trancestate and 3 others like this.
  15. Judith

Judith New

When I lived in Flagstaff I worked in the Philosophy Dept. At one point, one of the graduate students had a dream about a woman who had just been killed. The dream was pre-cognitive or something. He made the mistake of sharing the info he got with law enforcement and was actually arrested for the murder. He was in jail for quite a while...if I remember correctly he even went to trial. He was eventually released.

16. lighter_than_air

lighter_than_air New

Is the issue maybe that psi just returns results that aren't concrete enough to satisfy the nahsayers? That maybe psi is just a somewhat faint signal that can't really be relied upon for absolute information...that's it's a vague source of information at best...it's real, but it's just not a strong enough signal to sway the fence-sitters?

Johnny likes this.
  17. Johnny

Johnny New

Or they just don't know how what they are dealing with works exactly. The thing is, the more people shun psychic abilities and shy away from the faint signals, the less we learn and understand how or what exactly is going on.

I think it's a shame that the sceptics are so afraid, they choose to shut their eyes, rather than try to understand the slight glimpses being offered.

Stephen Wright likes this.
  18. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

I don't think ψ evidence is ever used to convict someone directly - nor should it be! The aim is to lead police to a line of enquiry that results in conventional evidence that can be used to convict someone.

Lot's of police lines of inquiry lead nowhere - they don't need psychics to be totally accurate.

David

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  19. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

Alex,

Can you tell us something about the new (again) Skeptiko website - or was this interview perhaps recorded some time back when we were still on the old Skeptiko website?

David

20. Alex

Alex New

I'm going to publish a short podcast about the website on Tuesday.

Michael Larkin likes this.