A Decent Proposal: Looking For Input on a Trial Run Facebook Group

Following up on a thought raised in another thread, instead of bringing the issue to Alex of creating a subforum about personal spiritual experiences and then waiting for Alex to approve or disprove it, I'd like to create a Facebook group for the purpose of posting and discussing personal spiritual experiences, and experimenting with creating new ones, Mythbusters-style. If it works out, we can present the data to show to Alex to further support the creation of the subforum, and if not, at least we still might get to move a few new folks over here!

Anyway, I'm looking for any constructive input, thoughts, and suggestions y'all might have.

I plan on calling it the Online Hub for Afterlife-Related Experiences (OHARE)-- for marketing purposes, mainly.

I don't think there will be much traffic unless it is part of these forums. Over the years we have had various related forums but you need something to drive activity, like a podcast (skeptiko) or a blog (michael prescott) or someone who posts regularly creating threads. Look at mind-energy.net. It is a ghost town since skeptiko left.

I think a sub-forum is a great idea. Did you PM Alex? If not try it now.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be much traffic unless it is part of these forums. Over the years we have had various related forums but you need something to drive activity, like a podcast (skeptiko) or a blog (michael prescott) or someone who posts regularly creating threads. Look at mind-energy.net. It is a ghost town since skeptiko left.

I think a sub-forum is a great idea. Did you PM Alex? If not try it now. Or just make an off topic post to something you know he is reading like one of the threads in the Skeptiko Shows forum.
You raise some good points, it wasn't my idea, but I could bring up the subforum proposal in the Community Suggestion Box.

In the meantime while Alex mulls it over, I could create the FB group anyway. I was thinking about sharing posts and links from various sources regarding experiences people had and research being done on afterlife communication, bring up discussion questions related to experiences, things like that, at least once a day to keep the feed fresh. It probably won't be bustling with traffic like here, sure, but if it get one new guy or gal here as an active member, it'd be worth it, wouldn't it?

You raise some good points, it wasn't my idea, but I could bring up the subforum proposal in the Community Suggestion Box.

In the meantime while Alex mulls it over, I could create the FB group anyway. I was thinking about sharing posts and links from various sources regarding experiences people had and research being done on afterlife communication, bring up discussion questions related to experiences, things like that, at least once a day to keep the feed fresh. It probably won't be bustling with traffic like here, sure, but if it get one new guy or gal here as an active member, it'd be worth it, wouldn't it?
There is no reason not to try a facebook group. I will join. But if you want something to happen here, PM Alex. One thing to consider is that some people don't like facebook and won't want to make an account - I've run into that when suggesting people post questions to facebook groups.

There is no reason not to try a facebook group. I will join. But if you want something to happen here, PM Alex. One thing to consider is that some people don't like facebook and won't want to make an account - I've run into that when suggesting people post questions to facebook groups.
I think one reason people don't like Facebook is they dislike posts turning up in 'friends' timelines.
I run a group classed as 'secret' where no posts leak out anywhere else and the group doesn't even show up on any searches.
But generally I think there's little value in another personal experience group - there are umpteen of them out there already which one could join en masse if necessary.

Wonderful, I'm excited! I've PMed Alex and posted in the Suggestion Box. Heh, I feel like a child who's been given a shiny new toy.

I think one reason people don't like Facebook is they dislike posts turning up in 'friends' timelines.
I run a group classed as 'secret' where no posts leak out anywhere else and the group doesn't even show up on any searches.
But generally I think there's little value in another personal experience group - there are umpteen of them out there already which one could join en masse if necessary.
Yes, very fair point. I actually created a FB account under an alias just for spiritual/scientific groups and pages, but I totally get where a lot of people come from on FB. If any other social media site had as many potential new members, I'd have started there. Sigh. Anyway, it's clear we need a hook to get an advantage over our competitors. Hmm, I need to think on this...

Last edited:
I don't like facebook because it is too hard to search for old posts.
Yes, that's true. I'm not familiar with administering FB groups, since I never have before, but I was thinking of numbering and dating discussion posts and listing them somewhere, Notes section maybe, for reference? Inconvenient, but it might make it easier for someone to sift through the load.

Facebook used to let you set up real discussion forums, but I think that has been discontinued and you have to put everything on one page now. The only situation facebook is good at is if you already have a bunch of existing facebook users who love it and want to form a special interest group. It is not really a good choice otherwise.

If you want to set up a forum there are free forum services like proboards or google groups which would be better than facebook..

Facebook used to let you set up real discussion forums, but I think that has been discontinued and you have to put everything on one page now. The only situation facebook is good at is if you already have a bunch of existing facebook users who love it and want to form a special interest group. It is not really a good choice otherwise.

If you want to set up a forum there are free forum services like proboards or google groups which would be better than facebook..
I think I remember that! Boy, Facebook's really made it difficult to get anything constructive done! Yikes! I was hesitant to look for free forum services because I didn't want to seem like I was competing with Skeptiko, and who wants to set up yet ANOTHER account somewhere? But Facebook's making it real tough! Geez, it's kinda sucking the fun out of ths now...

I think I remember that! Boy, Facebook's really made it difficult to get anything constructive done! Yikes! I was hesitant to look for free forum services because I didn't want to seem like I was competing with Skeptiko, and who wants to set up yet ANOTHER account somewhere? But Facebook's making it real tough! Geez, it's kinda sucking the fun out of ths now...
Oh, looks like you can pin posts to the top of the group page, and add notes to a Files section. It's not as streamlined as a full-blown forum, but it does make the FB Groups idea more attractive than it was earlier.

1) Only members who have posted at least 30 posts in the other threads may post here..
In my opinion, this is an unfortunate restriction. I can think of at least two members (I won't name names, it isn't necessary or appropriate) who shared their own experiences within the first one or two posts. I see no reason to reject such valuable material, nor indeed to discourage the people who were bold enough to come forward, perhaps after hesitating for years.

Many people are reluctant to step forward, we don't need to throw obstacles in their path, we need to make things easier. One way might be to have a private section of the forum, visible to invited members only. But I don't necessarily think everything should be private - just give people the option.

Last edited:
First, this needs to be a separate forum, rather than a thread.

I think its essential to keep administrative matters separate from the actual experiences. That is possible in a forum, but not within a single thread.

In any case we already have multiple threads, including the existing thread begun last week by soulatman

Then, very soon, we'll start a new thread: Phase 2, where we take elements from these experiences, resources like the ones you provided, threads from the other forums, and, Mythbusters-style, attempt to create our own personal experiences.
I don't know what this means. First, merely by being alive on this planet, we are already creating our own personal experiences. But in the sense which you are expressing - well I simply don't understand what is meant. Perhaps you could explain.

In my opinion, this is an unfortunate restriction. I can think of at least two members (I won't name names, it isn't necessary or appropriate) who shared their own experiences within the first one or two posts. I see no reason to reject such valuable material, nor indeed to discourage the people who were bold enough to come forward, perhaps after hesitating for years.

Many people are reluctant to step forward, we don't need to throw obstacles in their path, we need to make things easier. One way might be to have a private section of the forum, visible to invited members only. But I don't necessarily think everything should be private - just give people the option.
Hmm, I suppose you're right Typoz. I was concerned that someone could just come along, create a profile, and post, "Oh hai I talk wit God when I wuz 5 and I was told only I carry da Truth now," or, worse, one of those derailers from JREF coming in to detonate one of their one-liner pseudointellectual bombs. I guess limiting posters to 30+ would stop legitimate experiencers from coming, and it wouldn't stop haters from hating.

Okay, I'll lift the limit on the thread.

Hmm, I suppose you're right Typoz. I was concerned that someone could just come along, create a profile, and post, "Oh hai I talk wit God when I wuz 5 and I was told only I carry da Truth now," or, worse, one of those derailers from JREF coming in to detonate one of their one-liner pseudointellectual bombs. I guess limiting posters to 30+ would stop legitimate experiencers from coming from, nor would it stop haters from hating.

Okay, I'll lift the limit on the thread.
You should try to get some sort of moderation for that thread. Its already getting out of hand with some sort of off topic stuff over there.

First, this needs to be a separate forum, rather than a thread.

I think its essential to keep administrative matters separate from the actual experiences. That is possible in a forum, but not within a single thread.

In any case we already have multiple threads, including the existing thread begun last week by soulatman
Yeah, I wanted it to be a whole separate forum too so that it could absorb threads like the Dream thread by soulatman, but Alex wanted to start it as a single thread and only turn it into a forum if the thread got too bloated (I guess that means long). I'm not a huge fan of it either, but we'll have to go with it for the time being.

I don't know what this means. First, merely by being alive on this planet, we are already creating our own personal experiences. But in the sense which you are expressing - well I simply don't understand what is meant. Perhaps you could explain.
The vision I have is to create a central encyclopedia with links to those [Resources] threads, and use it along with threads on personal experiences as rocket fuel to launch experiments into creating new experiences. Sort of like, the rest of Skeptiko is theory, and this forum would be applications.

Phase 1 (the current thread about members posting their experiences) is to centralize all the personal experiences of the members, inspire other members to come forward about their own experiences, and boost the sense of community.

Phase 2, which I just realized is needed, is to create a thread with reference links to topics and resources scattered across the website (I think Sciborg's been trying to do this)

Phase 3, which I'm looking really forward to, will be where users can create threads to start experiments to create new spiritual experiences.

For example, a person might start a thread about a particular binaural beats track they listened to which got them to an altered state of consciousness and the steps they took to get there so that other users can replicate, and other users will come in and suggest ideas inspired by their research, and then later will come back and report any experiences they had having implemented the experiment.

Is it ambitious? Yes. Is it unoriginal? Yes. Is it foolhardy? Yes.

That's all I got, help me out here :P