A Philosophical Critique of Empirical Arguments for Postmortem Survival

Discussion in 'Critical Discussions Among Proponents and Skeptics' started by manjit, May 23, 2017.

1. manjit

manjit New

Thanks for the responses all - though I'm not sure I agree with all the seeming a priori judgements about Sudduth from a few ;) If I may say, both the initial review and Mr Sandman's (excellent) post review above seem to be saying different things to what some are criticising about Sudduth?...

That said, I have purchased both Irreducible Mind (thanks David - been in my sights for a while, went ahead and bought it after your comment) and Braude's Immortal Remains.

Irreducible Mind is one hell of a long and complicated book - I'm on page 60ish of 700ish.....I'll be on this one a while! :eek:

Cheers.

2. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

It is, but there are sections that seem to settle any doubt that materialism might be a complete description of the universe. For example, there seem to be a continuum of phenomena from straightforward hypnotism that is freely accepted in the West, to hypnotism that produces specific wounds on an individual's skin, on to phenomena that need ψ explanations. I find that continuum of phenomena particularly suggestive.

It may be worth reading selectively - at least to begin with.

David

SciFiFanatic101 likes this.
  3. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Nap, interrupted. Member

Hypnotism that produces wounds, you say?

~~ Paul

4. DarthT15

DarthT15 Member

I mean, those watches they swing in your face can hurt if they hit you.

Typoz likes this.