After for animals?

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by TravisMontgomery, Oct 9, 2015.

1. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

Does anyone believe in an afterlife for their pets or close animal friends? If so, could you like NDE or anything with reference to pets :(

Just lost my pet and am pretty distraught.

Cathy and Johnny like this.
  2. Ian Gordon

Ian Gordon Ninshub Member

3. tim

tim New

There's an NDE in Peter Fenwick's book, "The truth in the light"

From memory.....he found himself in a place like the Himalayas and ..."All the dogs of my life came running toward me, I was so happy...."

I have read several other NDE's where people have been re-united with pets they loved. Not infrequently the dying seem to be interacting with pets, stroking something unseen etc. I did have a rather odd experience myself which I discounted because I can't believe it happened even though I know it did.
    I grew very close to a little terrier an old ex of mine had for years. I was with her (and the dog) for seven or eight years and then we split. I don't mean to be rude about my ex but I missed that dog (not my ex particularly) it was ace. One night I was just going off to sleep and I felt something get in bed with me and snuggle up by my side (just like this little terrier used to) . I know this happened and I know what I thought it was ....and it was just so bizarre.

About a month later I bumped into my ex and she told me very sadly that her dog had died. Now I can't say if the experience occurred on the same night the dog died and for the sceptics and cynics it would mean nothing of course. Also I don't know how to answer the classical sceptical objection "What about cows pigs, horses, hedgehogs, ants etc, don't they have souls ? " Dunno, maybe everything survives.

4. Pollux

Pollux New

I've felt our cat - who passed away a few months earlier - jump up on our bed, down at my feet, and walk up my legs and put his wet nose against mine, and rub his head on my cheek - as he had done a thousand times before. I was somewhat semi-asleep though. But I got wide awake in a millisecond and almost bolted out of the bed. It felt remarkably real - those paws, and the weight of him - as he walked up my legs and torso.

5. WhatIfthe2nd

WhatIfthe2nd New

I am sorry about your pet. I have lost many animals over the years, and it is very painful. When I read this poem, it still makes me tear up: https://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

I believe animals are conscious beings and should be respected.

My condolences.

Johnny likes this.
  6. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

I'm sorry to hear about your pet - it's a dreadful experience.

There is a great deal of evidence to suggest that pets and a good many other animals survive death. I'd recommend a book called "When Your Animal Dies" by Sylvia Barbanell as a good compendium.

I have had some direct personal evidence of the survival of a pet. To me it was breathtaking but I'm not sure it would mean much to anyone else.

Trancestate, K9!, Red and 2 others like this.
  7. K9!

K9! New

I'm so sorry for your loss.

In this recent talk from an IANDS conference, the speaker mentions what could basically be considered a shared NDE with her dog. She starts to talk about that experience at 12:14.

tim, Red, Trancestate and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ian Gordon

I would love to hear about it, Obiwan. If you feel like sharing it.

Jan Price's NDE, which is among the NDE links I referenced above, is recounted in the following video. She was met by her deceased dog Maggie, and the cardiac arrest-caused NDE was a shared NDE with her husband who saw her leave her body and reunite with Maggie. There is also veridical evidence to the NDE attested to by the paramedic personnel.

tim and Trancestate like this.
  9. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

Hi Ian

Thanks for asking - here is a summary of it. One of the odd things is that the it was the first dog we'd lost, not the one we'd lost recently. We lost the boy in November 2013 and the girl about two weeks before this occurrence. These are my notes from the time. Hope it's of interest.

15:53 Saturday16/08/2014 Lying on sofa. Mainly asleep more dozing but could hear snatches of TV.

Sudden strong impression of face being licked intensely. Kept eyes closed had sensation of touching head and ears of dog, I could 'see' dog but knew my eyes were closed. It was a Dobermann. Odd state - part of me seemingly experiencing the phenomena and another part, equally me, observing it.

Got impression it was more the boy than the girl but younger. Licking like the boy did. Standing between footstool and sofa pushing head to me, head slightly inclined which he used to do to get a good lick :) .

The other me (being licked) was calling my partner (who wasn't in the room) but I didn't want to open my eyes because I knew he would go. I could see, though I knew my eyes were closed. It was not seeing in the usual sense in that it lacked the crystal clear quality that vision has when I am awake, but nevertheless it was easily good enough to see the dog and what he was going. Didn't feel like I was fully awake, but intense feeling of real presence and of my face actually being licked - even down to the texture of the dog’s tongue. The tongue was soft but no sensation of real wetness or slobber :). I could feel his his head, almost sure it was the boy. Licking feeling was intense.felt like he was reaching to me between footstool and sofa but not completely obstructed by it. I could actually see part of the footstool through the dog though my eyes were closed.

Odd I know :)

Mr Opti, tim, Red and 2 others like this.
  10. Ian Gordon

Wonderful, Obi. And just last year too. I wonder if your boy dog was letting you know they were still "there", given that you'd just recently lost the girl.

Mr Opti, tim and Red like this.
  11. Red

Red New

I find that there are certain animals that we connect with ...just like people I suppose.

After I lost my dog a few years ago, for a couple of weeks I felt his presence, I heard the jingling of his collar, and I was woken to a sigh, or one single bark as he used to wake me. After speaking with many people about this, it is not uncommon, especially for those that are extremely "attached" to those who love them.

Obiwan, tim, Ian Gordon and 1 other person like this.
  12. Trancestate

Trancestate Member

In 1980, I had a weird experience possibly involving a small white dog of mine. He was 15 years old when I had to put him down at the vet's, and I was feeling miserable over the loss. A few hours after his death, when evening had fallen, I suddenly heard a frightening crash against the front door of the house, followed by the loud barking of a dog. When I opened the door, I saw a very large white dog standing not more than 15 feet away, staring at me intently. I'm very sorry to say that in my emotional state I found the big dog's presence annoying, and a bit creepy, so it wasn't long before I closed the door and went back to whatever it was I had been doing.

While the dog and I were staring at one another, it occurred to me that it might have somehow perceived my grief and came by to express its condolences. My neighbor had once told me a story about another dog (a small one from the neighborhood) that used to visit houses in which a human family member had very recently died, so the thought didn't seem unusual. But this dog was a complete stranger to the area, and it was big enough to be really dangerous if I was wrong about it's intentions. Otherwise, I might have walked out to pet it or call it to come closer.

So many times over the years I've regretted shutting the door on the dog... This is because, shortly after the incident, it also occurred to me that my dog might have temporarily possessed the big dog's body, so he could come back physically to say "Good-bye". If only I'd taken a chance, I might have gotten some personal evidence for my dog's survival, not to mention animal possession.

I should add that the dog was gone when I looked out into the front yard several minutes later, and I never saw it again.

Doug

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  13. tim

tim New

That's interesting, Doug. Maybe some synchronicity aspect involved there.

14. Ian Gordon

This isn't death related, but maybe there's some synchonicity. When I was a kid, we got a female Shetland sheepdog that we named Cleo, for Cleopatra. We had her for 15 years. We found out later that her brother in the litter had been named by its owners Caesar.

The second crazy thing about this is that we moved and changed regions for many years and later came back to the town we were in when we originally got her. Guess who our immediate next door neighbor turned out to be? Caesar and his owners... (They both lived to be about 15.) I remember that for the first week after we had to put her down, I was in a state of absolute despair and hurt.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    tim, Obiwan, K9! and 1 other person like this.
  15. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

Yes it was a very singular experience. I cannot fully convey the realness of the experience. His behaviour was totally in character.

tim and Ian Gordon like this.
  16. K9!

K9! New

17. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

Thank you all for the kind words and the links you shared. I do not believe in an afterlife for anything but it comforts me to know I may be wrong.

Thank you for that poem but, yes, you're right. It was quite a tearjerker lol

WhatIfthe2nd likes this.
  18. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

How did you reach that conclusion then?

19. tim

tim New

Good question, Obiwan. I think the very least even the sceptics should "believe" is that the dying experience is in the vast majority of cases, very persuasive and very pleasant even if the preferred explanation is just some kind of trick of the brain.

20. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

Hey, Tim, it's good to see you're still active...

Concerning my pessimistic attitude before it was just due to my attitude that day and depression, etc. I am one to often move my belief system and exclude/include different topics now and then.

I'm fond of the type of saying, "On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I'm an atheist and on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays I am not. And on Sunday I'm both." kind of thing.

I do agree, even the most "skeptical" should entertain the idea that what they cherish to believe could be completely biased and just down-right wrong.

I come to my conclusion of no afterlife because of several incidents in my life that have rendered me unconscious without the slightest memory of what happened. Just non-existence, pretty much, while I was unconscious. But, even I know that's a silly thing to believe and easily dismissed - e.g., my memory could have been impaired but I was still experiencing and just didn't recall it afterwards. So, I do think I was a bit premature to assume there is no afterlife for anything.

That being said, I do believe that if there is an afterlife there isn't an exclusion of any being. It's not hard for me to believe in another reality that one experiences once this one is over. I mean, it's applied in cosmology - one planet, probably more than one, one star, probably more than one, one universe, probably more than one - and it has served curiosity in the past to prompt people to investigate.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    malf and WhatIfthe2nd like this.