Mod+ Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert

K9!

New
Art Bell's new show will be starting up on July 20 2015.

http://artbell.com/midnight-in-the-desert-2/

Hi everybody, here is a update for you. It is looking like the deal will close and the show will start to air in late July but we still have not signed on the dotted line.

The show will be truly International. I will not be using regular media to promo it, instead I will be asking all of you to plaster info about it everywhere, we will demonstrate the power of Social Media, but not yet, it is still too early. I truly will be depending on my Friends. This is truly going to be fun.

I just spoke to Crystal Gayle and was lucky to be the first to tell her that Midnight in the Desert is the name of the new show, she was thrilled and asked if she could say a word on the first show. This really is going to be FUN .

[In the video above] Crystal explains this song was written for a late night radio talk show host named Art Bell

Art

http://artbell.com/art-bells-new-show-faq/

Art is returning to broadcasting on the Internet on July 20th on the Dark Matter Digital Network.
The show is now called “Midnight in the Desert” and will broadcast LIVE from 9pm to Midnight Pacific, Midnight to 3am Eastern for FREE, Monday thru Friday.

You can listen via a link on this website, or use an app on your smartphone or tablet. Currently you can listen via the TuneIn app. Install TuneIn from your App store and search for Dark Matter Radio and you’ll be listening to the current schedule of shows.

On-demand archives will be available under a subscription membership service, soon to be announced.

Q. Can I use an Internet radio?

A: If you would like a dedicated device to play Internet radio, there are a couple choices out there. Look for the CC-WiFi or CC-Wifi 2 from C.Crane. Use promo code “DARKMATTER” to get a special gift and give us a credit.

Q. Can I listen later via a podcast?

A. If you join the membership subscription service for the show, you’ll have the ability to download or stream old shows so you can play them on your computer and smartphone/tablet device. It will cost $5 a month at the start.

Q. Will Art play his classic bumper music?

A. Yes! We have worked out a plan where we will pay the music license agencies for rights to play the songs that Art loves and is part of the show.

Q. What will the quality be like?

A. Other than affiliate AM stations, the music will be in full stereo and full fidelity. We will stream in both 48K MP3 and 48K AAC. If your computer can play AAC, this would be the preferred player. Our testing over the last few days of the equipment we have installed, has demonstrated a high quality feed from Art’s studio in Pahrump via the Telos Z/IP ONE IP Broadcast Codec unit, over the Internet to Keith’s studio in Mesa and then out to the streaming servers via the Z/IPStream R/1. The sound should be one of the best on the Internet.

Q. How many listeners can you handle with your new provider?

A. We have enlisted the services of The Stream Guys for our content delivery system and ad playback platform. We are currently using them right now for the Dark Matter Digital Network and will be able to scale up to the number of servers required to handle many thousands of listeners. In fact, we’ll be doing a test show on Sunday the 19th, just for the purposes of establishing a baseline for listeners. Check the Dark Matter Digital Network on that night to listen to that show.

Q. Will Art be on any terrestrial radio stations?

A. Maybe a few. See our Radio Stations page. The format of the show is geared towards the Internet, having less commercials and more freedom of where the breaks of the show will be. Rarely would a radio station want to carry the show and not be able to automate the commercial insertions. We are not going to change our format to match up with commercial radio. That being said, if a station wants to carry the show as is, without any interruption of the content, they may just grab the Internet stream and replay it. They would also have to cover the costs of the music licensing. Here are the Terms for Terrestrial Affiliates.

Q. Will Art be on Shortwave radio?

A. In fact yes! We have made a deal with a shortwave station out of Tennessee, WTWW on 5,085 khz, a good frequency to be heard at that time of night. They will carry just the LIVE portion of the show. See our Radio Stations page for more.

Q. Will Art be on Satellite?

A. No. There is no need to buy a satellite radio this time. No $15/mo SiriusXM subscription.

Q. How do I suggest a guest for the show? How can I be a guest on the show?

A. Please provide the potential guests contact information (email or phone number), tell us a little about what topic they would talk about and send this info to our producer Dr J at producer@artbell.com .

Q. Can I call into the show on Skype?

A. Yes, Art will have 2 Skype computers running, one for North America (US/Canada/Mexico) and one for International callers. Please have a properly operating headset microphone, as using just your laptop internal mic will make you sound awful and your call may be cut short. Of course standard phone lines will be active also.

Q. What are the Call-In numbers?

A. In the US the number is 1 – 952-CALL ART, (952-225-5278), in London 203-807-0703, yes, London!

Q. How do I support the show financially?

A. First would be to signup for the membership subscription service when it is ready, whether you actually listen to the archives or not. With your subscription you’ll also be able to access the “Wormhole” and send Art messages/questions during the show.

Secondly, support the advertisers on the show. At least let them know you appreciate their sponsorship.

Lastly, you can help to keep the pirates at bay. If you come across a YouTube channel or any website posting full-length files of Art’s show, stealing our copyrighted content, let us know. We can take steps to get it taken down. It’s a shame that these people are potentially destroying the very thing they love. We survive on paying subs to keep us operating. We’re not a big corporation.

Q. Will there be a chat room?

A. We currently have two methods for fans to communicate with each other. First will be the Twitter hashtag feed. It’s the twitter feed that shows up on the DMRN home page. If you tag your tweets with #DMTalk, they will appear there. Others may then interact with you. You can use an App like Tweetdeck and set up a search filter to scroll all tweets with our hashtag in a real time scrolling column.

Secondly, there are two BBS style message forums that we will have links to, one moderated and one not. So you can pick your playground. More on this later.

Last edited:
Great that Art Bell is back. Wish we had had C2C in the UK way back in the nineties etc but looking forward to this.
I first heard Art Bell back then when I was on a temporary work assignment in the US. After coming back home I remember struggling with dial-up internet to listen live occasionally, but it wasn't nearly so much fun, the difference in time-zones and flaky internet kind of took all the fun out of it.

Reactions: tim
I first heard Art Bell back then when I was on a temporary work assignment in the US. After coming back home I remember struggling with dial-up internet to listen live occasionally, but it wasn't nearly so much fun, the difference in time-zones and flaky internet kind of took all the fun out of it.

That's interesting, Typoz. I'm not very technically minded so that dial up would not have been something that I would have gone for. The guy has definitely got something and the interview with Pam Reynolds, I thought was really quite "something ! "

Last edited:
Great that Art Bell is back. Wish we had had C2C in the UK way back in the nineties etc but looking forward to this.
A bunch of old Art Bell C2C can be found here:

http://sitarchive.com/?p=2408

I remember driving home from work really late one night, listening to C2C while driving down the highway. There was a spectacular display of northern lights that night, and Art Bell was the perfect guy to listen to.

The short-lived Dark Matter show is also online:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DMArchive?feature=watch

Last edited:
He really wanted the show to be international this time. That was the problem with Dark Matter. It was on Sirius, but only in the US.

Heard an ad this morning that the show will be airing on Newstalk 1010 here in Toronto from midnight to 3:00 A.M EST. Can listen live on the site if anyone wants.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/longtime-radio-host-art-bell-dies-at-72/1121339679

Pahrump, NV. - Art Bell, a radio host best known for a paranormal-themed nightly show syndicated on hundreds of stations in the 1990s, has died at his home in southern Nevada.

Nye County Sheriff Sharon Wehrly says Bell died Friday. He was 72. An autopsy will be conducted to determine cause of death.

Bell hosted the popular radio talk show "Coast to Coast AM" before he left the airwaves in 2002. He broadcast the show from his radio station in Pahrump.

Former business partner Alan Corbeth said during Bell's 2008 induction into the National Radio Hall of Fame that nobody was better than Bell at understanding "how to create theater of the mind..."

Bell was heard on some 500 radio stations nationwide.

John Lear made this post on FB.

The Truth About My Friend Art Bell
A couple of days ago I got a call from a close friend who released me from my promise to keep everything I knew about Art Bells passing a secret. I don’t know exactly what has changed but my friend released me from the secret and so here goes.
My friend Art Bell committed suicide April 13, 2018. Art killed himself with an overdose of prescription pain killers which included oxycodone and hydrocodone, the sedative diazepam and the muscle-relaxant carisoprodol in his system, according to Clark County Coroner John Fudenberg.
You and I will never know the final thoughts that drove Art to take his own life but I suspect it had something to do with an affair he was having that someone was threatening to expose.
Art left a recording, in his own voice, a will, that outlined 40 specific instructions about what he wanted done after this passing. Art left well over $10 million in his estate.
Please don’t ask me for any additional information because I don’t have any. Art and I weren’t all that close after 911 because he had trouble accepting it was an inside job.
But Art has always given me credit for starting him on the road the paranormal which led him to millions of listeners world wide.
John Lear July 25, 2020

Back