Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Jim_Smith, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Wormwood likes this.
  2. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...outgunned-humans-in-key-stanford-reading-test

Alibaba's AI Outguns Humans in Reading Test
    By Robert Fenner
    January 15, 2018

Alibaba has developed an artificial intelligence model that scored better than humans in a Stanford University reading and comprehension test.
    Microsoft achieved a similar feat, scoring 82.650 on the same test, but those results were finalized a day after Alibaba’s, the company said.

3. https://www.yahoo.com/news/robots-slopes-sidelines-winter-games-134543710.html

Reuters•February 12, 2018

Eight robotics teams from universities, institutes and a private company competed for a $10,000 prize in the Ski Robot Challenge.

The teams had to meet specific requirements for entering a ski-bot.

It had to be more than 50cm in height, stand on two "legs" with joints resembling elbows and knees, have an independent power system and use skis and poles.

The robots were equipped with camera sensors to detect the blue and red flagpoles in their path and turn as they raced down a beginner's hill.

[​IMG]

4. Andrew9

Andrew9 Member

:) ... I'll check back next Olympics.

Jim_Smith likes this.
  5. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

I think the concept of AI is getting confused with control engineering. I mean imagine the task of landing those Falcon rocket sections back on Earth - nobody called it AI, but it was damn good control engineering. In neither case was the system juggling concepts, not did it need to actually feel anything.

David

6. Charlie Primero

Charlie Primero Member

I'm happy to lose to computers in the area of Electronic Ignition Control.

I walked too many miles to pay phones because of cranky carburetors on motorcycles.

Andrew9 and Jim_Smith like this.
  7. First they surpass us, then they enslave us:

Self-driving cars require meticulous cleaning by human caretakers:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/02/washing-avs/

Automated Cars Are Not Able to Use the Automated Car Wash
    Automated car washes could potentially dislodge expensive sensors, scratch them up, or leave behind soap residue or water spots that would affect a camera’s ability to see.
    Toyota, Aptiv, Drive.AI, May Mobility, and Uber have all said they use rubbing alcohol, water, or glass cleaner to manually wash the sensors, before carefully finishing the job with a microfiber cloth.

Avis, which has been tasked to tidy up Waymo’s autonomous fleet, elaborated on the process further. “There are special processes that definitely require a lot more care and focus, and you have to clean [the vans] quite often,” Avis chief innovation officer Arthur Orduña told CNN in an interview. “We give them the premium level of service that I don’t think any vehicle globally is getting.”​

8. David Bailey

If we were talking about true AI, it would be able to drive the car without any more data that we absorb as we drive!

I think driving is one of those tasks that is relatively easy to do badly, but requires considerable human skill - possibly partially psychic - to avoid frequent accidents. Sometimes I notice things as I drive, and ask myself whether a computer would be likely to reach the same conclusion.

For example, if something like a plastic bag were to blow in front of me, I wouldn't slow down - not least because that might cause the car behind me to shunt me - but can a computer handle that distinction? Well it probably could if someone spent a few months writing

void plastic_bag_detection()

However it wouldn't be easy, because a bag that contained something heavy would be more dangerous and need avoiding, and that is just one of zillions of possible 'abnormal' situations. I once saw a report that driver-less cars were too liable to stop in the road for no obvious reason!

To take another example, consider a tanker that seemed to be leaking something. Is the driver-less car behind supposed to read the warning label on the back and figure out what to do?

My contention is that driver-less cars will never do what interests most people - actually drive between arbitrary points safely and at a reasonable speed with no human in control.

David

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    nbtruthman and Charlie Primero like this.
  9. David Bailey

Jim,

I am not sure if you are serious about AI, or being humorous! I mean what is your take on the real significance of AI?

Those rotors go round pretty fast, and if people start using these gadgets indoors, before long someone with enough money to employ lawyers is going to get hurt!

David

10. I am joking about AI taking over. The posts about technology surpassing human abilities I think are interesting.

I accept the definition of AI used by the person who invented the term:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/the-death-of-ai-yet-again.3573/page-2#post-104867

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  11. Laird

Laird Member

Shouldn't that be:

bool is_plastic_bag(struct amorphous_crinkly_object maybe_plastic_bag)

?

In news just to hand: Self-driving Uber kills Arizona woman in first fatal crash involving pedestrian.

12. David Bailey

I saw that. Of course, it will depend on the details - which should be recorded in minute detail - because she could have walked out without notice so that a human would have done no better, but I suspect the whole driver-less car concept is a technological wet dream. You need to be human to do the job, precisely because in driving you are going to interact with humans and other sentient beings.

David

13. There is big money behind driverless cars. That means if they can't get the software to work right, they will paint them bright pink and put on flashing lights and sirens and put the burden on humans to stay out of their way making "interference" with a driverless vehicle a crime.

14. David Bailey

That depends on your style of programming - obviously my plastic_bag_detection() function would have side effects - but let's not get into discussions about programming style! However, I doubt whether such a function could return a bool - at least the first time it was called - I suspect that the system would have to manage a list of potential threats, constantly revising and updating the list every 100 milliseconds or so.

David

Laird likes this.
  15. Charlie Primero

Charlie Primero Member

Driverless cars are a gimmick, not economically feasible, and are nothing more than a social conditioning campaign to get people accustomed to A.I. automation in areas of life not previously thought possible.

The way they get people to accept A.I. control is by selling it as "more objective" than human decision-making.

"Sorry sir, you cannot sue us for discrimination or product liability because our A.I. is completely without bias, and met all government safety standards".

Witness the new "Social Credit Score" in China where criticism of the government lowers your score, and thus your ability to ride trains, get a job, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

Coming soon to a country near you.

16. Charlie,

A lot of companies are investing a lot of money in the technology. Can you reference any studies that show driverless cars are not economically feasible?

Do you mean only personal automobiles? Because it would seem self evident that taxis and delivery vehicles would save a lot on labor costs.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  17. Charlie Primero

Charlie Primero Member

No, it's just common sense.

The cost of the technology, the liability insurance, and paying a person to sit in there and monitor it is no way competitive with a human driver.

I was wrong above when I said driverless cars "are nothing more than a social conditioning campaign". The corporations are doing real-world testing research I'm sure, but there are a score of other types of automated vehicles that would have a bigger payoff than automobiles.

I'll revise to say a large part of why they are pushing driverless cars is social conditioning. I'm old enough to remember when people got angry about Automated Teller Machines. Now most people prefer them. I certainly do.

I speculate they intend to make it illegal to drive your own car in the future. "For the safety! For the children! Lower insurance!" After that becomes accepted, a central control center will start deciding where you can and cannot travel.

Then your car will start avoiding "non-preferred" retail locations (to reduce traffic congestion of course Good Citizen), refuse to park in not-authorized parking spots, and mysteriously experience malfunctions on voting day if you are of a certain political persuasion. :)

My kids can't drive a stick shift. Odds are your great-grandkids won't even know how to drive.

18. They have a person sitting in the car because they are testing / developing the technology. Eventually they will not have a driver, just passengers and or cargo.