Artificial Intelligence

There is big money behind driverless cars. That means if they can't get the software to work right, they will paint them bright pink and put on flashing lights and sirens and put the burden on humans to stay out of their way making "interference" with a driverless vehicle a crime.
Actually, I am looking forward to driverless taxis.

That will fly.

To the moon.

And other planets.

And to other stars and galaxies.

And forward and backward in time.

Through the multiverses.

And beyond.

Last edited:
Does anyone use any of the voice activated assistants like Alexa, or Siri?

I am just trying some of them now.

I have been reading a series of science fiction novels where they have AI's in their heads and that got me thinking about a video I saw where a scientist is trying to make an AI that can keep senior citizens company, playing music or telling jokes etc. So when I was folding my laundry today I thought it would be nice to be able to speak and say "play music" and have something played.

I first tried Alexa but I didn't like her because she was always asking me to spend money. It was too obvious that she exists solely to make money for Amazon and not to help me with orbital mechanics or to survive an alien invasion.

But google assistant seems to work well. The voice recognition seems to be good. It recognized the stock symbol for a mutual fund and gave the current price. I asked for a reminder at 10:30 and it set one. When asked for a joke it said, "Why did the school kids eat their homework? Because the teacher told them it was a piece of cake." It seems to know about some of the android apps. I asked it to set a timer and it used the android clock app. The escape velocity from mars is 18,000 kph.

It changes the way you think. For example I remember when people starting using web browsers you had to remember not to use the yellow pages. This voice interface seems to be sort of like that. I need smart switches so it can turn on lights and window fans etc.

I'm not sure how much I'll use this but it is interesting to try it out.

When the aliens invade they'd better co-opt google first.

Last edited:
Does anyone use any of the voice activated assistants like Alexa, or Siri?

I am just trying some of them now.

I have been reading a series of science fiction novels where they have AI's in their heads and that got me thinking about a video I saw where a scientist is trying to make an AI that can keep senior citizens company, playing music or telling jokes etc. So when I was folding my laundry today I thought it would be nice to be able to speak and say "play music" and have something played.

I first tried Alexa but I didn't like her because she was always asking me to spend money. It was too obvious that she exists solely to make money for Amazon and not to help me with orbital mechanics or to survive an alien invasion.

But google assistant seems to work well. The voice recognition seems to be good. It recognized the stock symbol for a mutual fund and gave the current price. I asked for a reminder at 10:30 and it set one. When asked for a joke it said, "Why did the school kids eat their homework? Because the teacher told them it was a piece of cake." It seems to know about some of the android apps. I asked it to set a timer and it used the android clock app. The escape velocity from mars is 18,000 kph.

It changes the way you think. For example I remember when people starting using web browsers you had to remember not to use the yellow pages. This voice interface seems to be sort of like that. I need smart switches so it can turn on lights and window fans etc.

I'm not sure how much I'll use this but it is interesting to try it out.

When the aliens invade they'd better co-opt google first.
I didn't mention that I tried the above on my cell phone. Voice input is much easier than typing on a cell phone so to use a search engine on a phone it is a lot easier to use a virtual assistant than to type. But windows also has voice input so I am trying that on my desktop computer for any type of inpu.

I spoke the following:
"I didn't mention that I tried the above on my cell phone Voice input is much easier than typing on a cell phone Search to use a search engine on a phone it is a lot easier to use a virtual assistant than to type Put windows Also has voice input so I'm trying that on my desktop computer for any type of input "

Hmmm.

Oh, cell phone apps have voice input too, I have to start paying attention to that mic icon ...

And there are privacy issuses too since google / microsoft / whoever does the voice recognition saves everything you say.

Last edited: