Best NDE & Paranormal Science Books

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Love Knowledge, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Love Knowledge

Love Knowledge Member

Home Page:
    Hi All!

New Skeptiko member here, huge fan of the podcast and this area of research. I just finished reading Irreducible Mind (which I loved) and am looking for recommendations on the next book I should read. I'm looking for the best research/science for either NDEs and/or paranormal phenomena in general (or it could be 1 phenomenon in particular).

Books I've read so far in this area:

Lessons From The Light; Mindsight - Ring
    The Afterlife Experiments - Schwartz
    The Secret of the Soul - Buhlman
    Best Evidence - Schmicker

Thanks,
    Jon

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Wormwood likes this.
  2. Laird

Laird Member

G'day Jon,

Many (I would hope most if not all) of the books that have been noted, discussed, and/or reviewed on the Skeptiko forums since the move here from mind-energy.net are listed under Books in the Skeptiko Index (somewhat synchronously, I came across your post whilst updating that index). I hope this list is useful to you.

Love Knowledge and Trancestate like this.
  3. Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Love Knowledge likes this.
  4. Love Knowledge

Love Knowledge Member

Home Page:
    Wow, thanks Laird. Didn't know of this index, looks like an incredible amount of work to assemble. I'll bookmark this for future reference, looks like a great starting off point.

I'm almost finished reading Pim van Lommel's Consciousness Beyond Life, which I would add among the best NDE science books. I looked for it on the list but couldn't find it. I'll search the whole forum in a minute but if you know of a discussion thread just for that book, that would be appreciated. I have a few questions regarding it, wondering if others may have discussed it already.

Laird likes this.
  5. Love Knowledge

Love Knowledge Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Jim, I've bookmarked the 2nd and 4th links, those are new to me but they look interesting. I have the Zammit book and considered reading that one very soon, looks like a strong case is made, similar to the 'Best Evidence' book by Schmicker. Also recently picked up Fontana's book as well but he doesn't think there is an afterlife correct? That was what I remember from reading the reviews on Amazon but I could be wrong.

6. "From Publisher's Weekly" review from Amazon says:
    "... It's clear that Fontana believes that many claims to the paranormal are true and that they provide credible evidence that a soul or spirit survives beyond physical death. ...'''

From the "Review" on amazon page for Is There an Afterlife:
    "...After reading it and assessing the evidence, there can no longer be any doubt that there is life after death...."

Love Knowledge likes this.
  7. Love Knowledge

Love Knowledge Member

Home Page:
    Sorry I misread the opening two lines from that Publisher's Weekly review. Thought it was talking about if there's life after death and he 'thinks not' was for that but I was mistaken. Either way, not like it would make me disregard his book if he didn't believe in an afterlife but probably wouldn't be AS interested in reading it if that's his conclusion.