Binaural Beats and Isochronic Tones.

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Matt², Nov 18, 2013.

1. Matt²

Matt² New

I recently made a conscious effort to meditate, as often as I can. I decided to use binaural beats and isochronic tones. IMO, there is a noticeable increase in ability to achieve a meditative state that is quite amazing and restful afterwards.

I engaged in a debate with a self-proclaimed "skeptic" that seems to be increasingly just contrarians and emphatically denied the idea there could be any efficacy, because "science had debunked this and it's pseudo-science", regardless of my opinion. Even though no specific work was cited.

Has ayone else tried this and experienced a difference?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    rosebud likes this.
  2. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    I also like the Binaural beats. Like you, I've also found they can really help achieve a deeper meditation state.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. Tyler

Tyler New

I have used Monroe's Hemi-Sync recordings with success where success is relaxation, focus that ends in an OBE. They are "set-setting" dependent as Robert would say and a good set of headphones is a must as is a FLAC quality set of recordings.

SHOCKER :D

4. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

As I understand it, binaural beats are a way to get a low frequency (say 4 Hz) into the brain/mind by putting two slightly different frequencies into each ear and letting the brain detect the beat frequency. This idea puzzles me for two reasons - paerhaps EthanT can help:

1) At I understand it, the cochlear detects the amplitude of sound at each of a large number of frequencies, and feeds that on into the brain - so no beating would be possible.

2) Why can't one use a single frequency amplitude modulated at (say) 4 Hz?

Light that flickers at very low frequency is, of course, considered dangerous and can induce an epileptic fit - I wonder if there is a connection, and if light flickering at very low amplitude (to make it safer) might be as effective of more effective than binaural beats.

@Tyler Did you just buy a recording from the Monroe institute or actually attend a course. Can you pay and download a binaural recording? Can you describe the OBE?

David

5. Bucky

Bucky Member

The drumming and chanting used in rituals and ceremonies of various tribes use repetitive rhythmic patterns that are similar to this concept. It's a form of entrainment similar to that of binaurals.

It is very possible that a single frequency amplitude could do the trick but I guess there's more about binaurals than just the beating. White noise is used in the background too, which helps relaxation, and not all frequencies work. Too high pitched sounds can be distracting or even irritating no matter how "relaxing" the beating is (e.g. theta rhythm). Also too low frequencies can be disturbing.

6. Ian Gordon

Ian Gordon Ninshub Member

I don't know if you meant downloading a high-quality one David, but youtube is full of them:

My cats' ears perk up and they turn their heads as soon as I play them - they must have strong low or high frequencies! :)

7. Tyler

Tyler New

Long story short. I was given a copy without making a visit to TMI then later made several visits most of them a decades ago when Robert was alive. I was unsure if my versions were up to date so I requested and received a third copy in the last year or so. I had completely forgotten about it until I was spring cleaning a set of archival hard drives.

I did sign up for Robert Bruce's course but had to cancel. I would very much like to take William Buhlman's workshop but the timing has never been right. He is using Hemi-Sync in at least two of the eight days the workshop is held.

There was a long gap in my participation with TMI because I took odds with "Big Toe" Campbell's direction and friends pulled their monies out.

You can buy the binaurals including headphones, etc from TMI.

http://www.monroeinstitute.org/catalog/audio-downloads/filters/page=all

...but they stress "set and setting" aka as come to a workshop. ;) This is a false model that will no longer work for them and the new management understands that. You will see in the future mucho new online offerings from them imo including partnerships with Hemi-Sync added value partners.

8. Tyler

Tyler New

The OBEs are almost always hypervibrational to the nth degree more so than other self-initiated, unassisted OBEs, why this is I can only guess. The end destinations are preset regardless by my desire or by what my subconscious mind desires (or astral advisers and friends arrange; it's hard to tell the difference unless they show up). My personal control is 50% of the time i.e. I get to go where I want or get answers that I want. The other 50% is like being dropped through a wormhole.

I see Ian showed YouTube versions, the original Hemi-Sync's were lower bitrates, today's are FLAC quality, very high bitrates. I don't fully understand the acoustics but I get much better results from the FLACs this may very well be due to a function of my hearing and a very sensitive set of headcans.

Which I don't usually use because if I don't OBE, I fall asleep.

http://www.sleepphones.com/

Falling asleep wearing a set of Sennheisers with full ear coverage is not my idea of fun. :eek:

9. Tyler

Tyler New

If I fail an OBE, I stay in a very high vibrational state for hours. My cat jumps right into the bed and snuggles down on me.

Often when I snap back to the physical, he does the same which almost scares me into a cardiac arrest. :mad:

10. Typoz

Typoz Member

You mean your cat has an OBE too? Or it just jumps suddenly?

11. soulatman

soulatman Member

I have tried both the binaural beats, and isochronic tones. I would say that they definitely do something, though I have not experienced an OBE sadly.

So Tyler, are you saying that you regularly have a very lucid OBE from using these products? I would love any tips you might have about achieving this.

12. Hagbard N

Hagbard N New

13. Tyler

Tyler New

Jumps up suddenly. Do animals have OBE's?

Reports are yes from thousands of sources. I had an astral projection with my cat and I have no explanation
    WTF he was doing there with me.

You can find absolutely anything in the astral planes so yes to OBE's for all animals, humans, etc. OBE is very natural for all living things on this physical plane. We all sleep, so we have physical body and energy body separation. Learning to OBE is to learn how to duplicate or take advantage of this separation.

Typoz and Hopeful like this.
  14. Tyler

Tyler New

OBE's are periodic. Most every OBErs will tell you that they can go weeks without one then have five the next week. I'm in a rapid OBE state right now four to five a week. This will stop in my experience.

The latest Hemi-Sync seems to cause more frequent OBE's for me but they are not more significant in number than other brain entrainment methods or simple, mind-clearing meditation to make note of the difference. The OBE is totally dynamic, completely personal and relatively unpredictable.

This subject is so difficult to put into words. :(

Think of the OBE this way. You are Magellan, you launch from shore and the rest of your journey is a combination of WTF am I going and I know where I am via star navigation. With one extremely significant difference. Magellan was in constant danger, the OBEr is never in danger.

K9! and Hopeful like this.
  15. Matt²

Matt² New

I do need to get a decent headset to listen to these. I'm curious, what do you think is the beast file format to play these back on?

Also, have you researched the various types and their claimed effects?

And which of the to examples do you believe has helped you a attain the desired state?

I'm also curious about the frequency ranges, any you prescribe to? I've seen 432Hz mentioned often.

It's easy to identify either the pathological skeptic or the pseudo-skeptic these days. If they demonstrate hypocritical fallaciousness and cognitive dissonance, I don't waste my time. It's like arguing with a Christian fundamentalist, so I generally ignore them.

16. Bucky

Bucky Member

My 2c

-Format: although it is claimed that mp3 conversion can affect the efficacy I have never found any differences between, say, a CD quality binaural track and its relative mp3 at a decent sampling rate (e.g. 160Kb/s and higher)

-Claimed effects: I think it's pretty easy to recognize the effect of binaural files in terms of their "spectrum of activity". I have erroneously used a beta-wave (~30Hz) binaural file to meditate and quit after 5 minutes with strong sense of anxiety. Similarly if you try to meditate with one of those alpha-to-delta descent you will very likely get asleep :) At least it happens to me often times. Best range for meditation is 9-12Hz.

Some of the exotic claimed effects such as those related with OBEs etc... are obviously hyped. It's really not just a binaural that will get you out of body, although they might help the practice.

Frequency ranges: what is more important is the beat frequency which is usually expressed in Hz ranging from 1 to 30, representing various ranges of brain activity. Delta (1-4Hz, deep sleep), Theta (4-8Hz, deep relaxation, sleep), Alpha (meditative, relaxed), Beta (active thinking)

The 432Hz thing is related to the Pythagorean tuning (A=432Hz) vs the current tuning standard which is A=440Hz. In regards to binaural beats it's not very relevant.

Finally try this one with a good set of headphones:

It's one of my favorites for relaxing and getting into a deep trance. The purpose is to induce a lucid dream and it works exceptionally well, at least for me. If you don't get the dream part it's likely it will put you to sleep anyways.

cheers

p.s. = it's not necessary to blast the audio file at high volume, a moderate level is more than enough :)

K9! likes this.
  17. K9!

K9! New

Thanks! I plan on trying this out this evening.

18. Tyler

Tyler New

What would you consider the requirements, and which would be mandatory, of the physical individual for OBE and for astral travel? Of the physical Bucky?

19. Bucky

Bucky Member

I guess, as with everything, natural inclination and practice.

20. Tyler

Tyler New

Tyler Snotgern said: (go to post)

What would you consider the requirements, and which would be mandatory, of the physical individual for OBE and for astral travel? Of the physical Bucky?

How long would you say a person should attempt to OBE before it can be determined that they have no natural inclination? Kai spent years at it, no luck. :(