Brexit

Discussion in 'Other Stuff' started by Michael Larkin, May 18, 2016.

1. Brian_the_bard

Brian_the_bard Lost Pilgrim Member

I am in Gothenburg, Sweden.

malf likes this.
  2. lhl

lhl Member

The 'remain' side hasn't given up. Here is a talk by A.C. Grayling:

Brian_the_bard and malf like this.
  3. Word on the "street" is a lot of multinational corporations will consider London if it ends up being friendly to them given UK's need to replace European ties.

So some hope to finance industry personnel who likely thought they might have to move.

4. Typoz

Typoz Member

5. Steve

Steve Member

Ian Gordon, Typoz and malf like this.
  6. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

It was pretty inevitable, because Labour, The Lib Dems, and The Scottish Nationalists, simply couldn't take the referendum decision as it was, they had to find any excuse to keep the argument going. This would have made it impossible to negotiate our way out on anything like reasonable terms.

For those who aren't British, the main opposition party - Labour - has serious internal problems right now, so the result is likely to be a huge Tory majority.

I'm not sure government works well when there is a huge majority, so a smaller majority with some seats going to UKIP would certainly be preferable.

David

7. Typoz

Typoz Member

The aim may be to try for a larger majority in Westminster. How it will play out across the whole UK, particularly Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland could be more interesting.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Sciborg_S_Patel, malf and Steve like this.
  8. Steve

Steve Member

It may accelerate the breakup, May's legacy.

Brian_the_bard, malf and Typoz like this.
  9. I'm curious when there will be another referendum, and if it will happen before the full exit is completed.

I think you'll likely see a reversal within decades, possibly a single decade.

10. Typoz

Typoz Member

How does one define "full exit"? My gut feeling is that it could take twenty to thirty years for the dust to settle - if it is allowed to.

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  11. Good point. It just seems that any non-binding referendum has little finality about it especially when polling suggest there are possibly more Remainers than Leavers.

It could easily be reversed by a change in the political winds by the call of a new referendum, though the results might depend on a variety of factors - terrorism, EU reform, etc.

Typoz likes this.
  12. Max_B

Max_B Member

Home Page:
    I'll vote for any party that wants to keep us in the EU... at the moment that looks like the LibDems... everybody I've been speaking to who actually want to remain in the EU (most people I know)... see this election as about nothing more than Brexit, a single issue election... a second chance to vote... and reverse Brexit. Quite a number of natural conservative voters have said the same, the EU issue overrides everything else.

13. malf

malf Member

Clever...

_95730917_may.jpg

Mrs malf reckons she looks like a Dr Who villain :D

14. Brian_the_bard

Brian_the_bard Lost Pilgrim Member

The latest incarnation of the Master?

malf likes this.
  15. Kamarling

Kamarling Member

16. Ian Gordon

Ian Gordon Ninshub Member

17. malf

malf Member

Obviously we trust polls at our peril these days, but this UK election might be interesting...

18. Typoz

Typoz Member

It may slow down the break up of the U.K.

Though negotiating with the E.U. is often highlighted, it seems that the places closest to home are the most tricky to handle - the technicalities of the (non-)border with (and within) the island of Ireland remaining to be solved, but the emphasis on the departure of Scotland may have subsided somewhat.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.