Brexit

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/03/feel-good-photo-of-the-week.php

Farage-Celebrates.jpeg

Screen-Shot-2017-03-29-at-6.25.56-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2017-03-29-at-6.19.12-PM.png

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2017/04/03/central-bankers-embrace-pound-dump-euro/
Central Bankers Embrace Pound, Dump Euro

Even with Brexit, central bankers around the world seem to think the pound is a better long term bet than the euro.​

Word on the "street" is a lot of multinational corporations will consider London if it ends up being friendly to them given UK's need to replace European ties.

So some hope to finance industry personnel who likely thought they might have to move.

May calls General Election on 8 June:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39628713
It was pretty inevitable, because Labour, The Lib Dems, and The Scottish Nationalists, simply couldn't take the referendum decision as it was, they had to find any excuse to keep the argument going. This would have made it impossible to negotiate our way out on anything like reasonable terms.

For those who aren't British, the main opposition party - Labour - has serious internal problems right now, so the result is likely to be a huge Tory majority.

I'm not sure government works well when there is a huge majority, so a smaller majority with some seats going to UKIP would certainly be preferable.

David

I'm curious when there will be another referendum, and if it will happen before the full exit is completed.

I think you'll likely see a reversal within decades, possibly a single decade.

I'm curious when there will be another referendum, and if it will happen before the full exit is completed.

I think you'll likely see a reversal within decades, possibly a single decade.
How does one define "full exit"? My gut feeling is that it could take twenty to thirty years for the dust to settle - if it is allowed to.

How does one define "full exit"? My gut feeling is that it could take twenty to thirty years for the dust to settle - if it is allowed to.

Good point. It just seems that any non-binding referendum has little finality about it especially when polling suggest there are possibly more Remainers than Leavers.

It could easily be reversed by a change in the political winds by the call of a new referendum, though the results might depend on a variety of factors - terrorism, EU reform, etc.

I'll vote for any party that wants to keep us in the EU... at the moment that looks like the LibDems... everybody I've been speaking to who actually want to remain in the EU (most people I know)... see this election as about nothing more than Brexit, a single issue election... a second chance to vote... and reverse Brexit. Quite a number of natural conservative voters have said the same, the EU issue overrides everything else.

Obviously we trust polls at our peril these days, but this UK election might be interesting...
It may slow down the break up of the U.K.

Though negotiating with the E.U. is often highlighted, it seems that the places closest to home are the most tricky to handle - the technicalities of the (non-)border with (and within) the island of Ireland remaining to be solved, but the emphasis on the departure of Scotland may have subsided somewhat.

Last edited:
Back