Brian Dunning, Is the “Skeptical Thing” Over? |363|

Some recent feedback to Brian’s show:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4620

“Hello Brian,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your debunking posts. I have an adult son who has become mentally unstable due in large to the rhetoric spilling out from wackos who create documentaries and web posts about such subjects as Zeitgeist (the conspiracy theory film) and so many others. He has brainwashed himself into believing this stuff and as a result has slowly diminished his respect for reality and how to decipher between the two worlds. He is now sitting in jail for reasons too long to explain in an email. But in short, it is due to the overwhelming ability for these people that have addicted normally sane folks into subscribing to their agenda.

I am just a "Joe Sixpack" who just wants to live and let live. Now I'm in a battle of wits with my son to sort out his mentality and help him back into the arms of reality. But I have to admit that I'm feeling like the mouse against the eagle. I came across your debunking posts and it has given me a reservoir into which I can fish for answers. Thank you.

Your new subscriber,
Phil”

Some recent feedback to Brian’s show:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4620

“Hello Brian,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your debunking posts. I have an adult son who has become mentally unstable due in large to the rhetoric spilling out from wackos who create documentaries and web posts about such subjects as Zeitgeist (the conspiracy theory film) and so many others. He has brainwashed himself into believing this stuff and as a result has slowly diminished his respect for reality and how to decipher between the two worlds. He is now sitting in jail for reasons too long to explain in an email. But in short, it is due to the overwhelming ability for these people that have addicted normally sane folks into subscribing to their agenda.

I am just a "Joe Sixpack" who just wants to live and let live. Now I'm in a battle of wits with my son to sort out his mentality and help him back into the arms of reality. But I have to admit that I'm feeling like the mouse against the eagle. I came across your debunking posts and it has given me a reservoir into which I can fish for answers. Thank you.

Your new subscriber,
Phil”

Uh yea, sounds like Phils son has problems larger than watching the Zeitgeist documentary lol.

Uh yea, sounds like Phils son has problems larger than watching the Zeitgeist documentary lol.
I think that's overly glib.

Its not hard to see how some of the more out there conspiracies, if folks are susceptible to following their courses, could lead someone on the borderline into an abyss of "no reality". That was my entire issue with that moron who challenged the Sandy Hook parents to produce corpses to prove the "official narrative". I mean you had better be able to prove with 1000% confidence that it was a conspiracy before you do something like that. What type of compassionate, rational human being would go to that extreme otherwise?

The man's son likely does have other issues, but I feel for him none the less. More importantly, I feel for the young man who was taken in.

I found myself frustrated by this interview. It was pretty clear early on that Mr Dunning wasn't going to acknowledge anything that would undermine his position, or cost him credibility around his listeners. But here, I believe, was a missed opportunity for a dive into the credibility and integrity of the skeptical community. Randi, and others, by reports, has clearly abused his position and power, as one of the "guiding lights" of modern skeptical movement, and is never held to account by his followers. Or anyone else, for that matter. In a way, this reminds me of the #metoo movement: When are we going to drag these shenanigans into the light?

I would like to see a show where where, say, Dunning is call to account for some of the serious ethical lapses among his community.

I found myself frustrated by this interview. It was pretty clear early on that Mr Dunning wasn't going to acknowledge anything that would undermine his position, or cost him credibility around his listeners. But here, I believe, was a missed opportunity for a dive into the credibility and integrity of the skeptical community. Randi, and others, by reports, has clearly abused his position and power, as one of the "guiding lights" of modern skeptical movement, and is never held to account by his followers. Or anyone else, for that matter. In a way, this reminds me of the #metoo movement: When are we going to drag these shenanigans into the light?

I would like to see a show where where, say, Dunning is call to account for some of the serious ethical lapses among his community.
yeah, but why would he do that? moreover, I think he really believes what he's saying.

Back