Can materialistic science answer life’s big questions? |317|

I have noticed this too, and it makes me wonder if people 'out there' manipulate whole time lines in a sort of meta-time. In other words they are striving to push the entire history (and future) of the universe in a positive direction - possibly opposed by others who want to push it in the opposite direction.

David

I feel like you may be straying into forbidden knowledge here, and I'm not sure how much to say, but I'll take the risk and say it anyway: one of my "altered state" experiences very much led me to this exact conclusion, through an almost literal experience of this "meta-manipulation of the timeline of reality by opposing forces".

I can well believe this - though fortunately I have not been attacked in this way. The issue may even have a partly physical basis - possibly some brains don't lock onto a single conscious entity as well as others.

Yes, the physical affects the mental affects the astral affects the spiritual and vice versa - it goes in both directions. I opened myself up to (spiritual) attack by foolishly experimenting with mind-altering (physical) substances. That's why I am very opposed to this "psychedelics are a wondrous way to expand your perception of reality" view, which some even take so far as to suggest that such indulgence should be part of the school curriculum! Maybe psychedelics "expand" some people's consciousnesses - but they sure screw some others of us over big time. I would never recommend psychedelics/hallucinogens (not even "just" pot) to anybody, certainly not unless they had a very, very good understanding of what they were doing.

You and I have had very, very similar experiences, Alan. The main difference is that I haven't bought into the psychiatric interpretation of them as much as you seem to have done. Trust your intuition: there are dark forces out there which - for various reasons - sometimes gain access to our psyches. I very much recommend Roy Vincent's (self-published, free) book, listening to the silences in a world of hearing voices. Reading through his own experiences I found effective proof that they were caused by malevolent entities, as I am certain they are in your case and definitely in my own (although I certainly wouldn't rule out divine influence in all cases either). Especially helpful for me was Roy's list of "ploys" used by these malevolent entities. I only recognised some of them, and I have experienced some different ploys that "they" use in my own case, but it was very helpful to find that, yes, other people have recognised that these entities play certain identifiable games with them. Perhaps you will recognise some of the ploys Roy lists, and perhaps you have already identified some different ones that "they" use in your own case.

I don't have time to go into detail now but maybe tomorrow.

Key thing:
-I have certain things which I think could be assigned to "malevolent entities". See http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/do-the-entities-sending-us-messages-sometimes-lie.444/
(I just noticed 444 is in the link, 444 seems a special number (http://www.skeptiko.com/122-reincarnation-of-apostle-paul-nick-bunick-scrutinized/). I also followed a car with a 444 license plate yesterday as an aside. There is something to these numbers:

(very very interesting link)).

-But there are other things that do not feel malevolent and which are also "syncs" and seem to imply "moulding reality". See: http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/mikes-bikes.1270/

A key question for me? Can a "malevolent entity" mould reality like Mike's Bikes? Of course, Mike's Bikes could be an ordinary coincidence but it is a heck of a coincidence.

But there are other things that do not feel malevolent and which are also "syncs" and seem to imply "moulding reality".

Yes, fair enough. My parenthetical comment, "I certainly wouldn't rule out divine influence in all cases either", was way too understated.

A key question for me? Can a "malevolent entity" mould reality like Mike's Bikes?

I don't know, but probably, at least to some extent (just an intuition based on personal experiences / hearing stories). I'm not sure why it would want to in that particular case though, which seems to have been for your benefit.

Of course, Mike's Bikes could be an ordinary coincidence but it is a heck of a coincidence.

Seems like a legit sync to me.

and you were just expressing what seems right to you, so I hope you don't mind me addressing your comments in the way that I'm about to.

No worries, Laird !

Kai said in a previous post "Dogs may have a lot to tell us about how to live joyously, imo.Just watch them. Bounding along, tails wagging and erect, tongues lolling. They are in sheer heaven. Do they need cancer and loss and pain to live fulfilled lives? Of course not. The argument seems to me preposterous and daft.

This analogy is also full of holes, as I'm sure you're well aware and we can replace the subject "dogs" with children which suits the purpose better because as far as I know, dogs are not capable of reflecting on life's ultimate questions (as far as we can tell and I would not thank "God" for life as a happy dog. I would rather be an unhappy human with the ability to recognise that). Children do not need cancer, loss or pain to lead fulfilling lives but as a human "created" either by "God" or "random chance" can you envisage a world (design wise) that would make it impossible to suffer any harm of any kind as your question below demands?

why not simply design a world without the possibility of accidental harm in the first place?

I remember having a stab at this (no pun intended) previously and I'm not trying to be facile or smart but wouldn't that kind of world require it's inhabitants to be made out of "rubber," for want of a better comparison ? Then if one fell out of a skyscraper you'd bounce, problem solved.

But we wouldn't be satisfied with such "bodies", we'd complain and say what kind of "God" or "random chance " would make me out of rubber... conscious rubber, I want a body that feels, looks good etc, a sensuous body. And if we were then granted a flesh and blood body that feels and looks good but we still didn't want any harm to come to us, how would we ask "God" or "random chance" to create the terrain, completely flat, no mountains to fall off, no sharp edges, no water to drown in ?

What I'm saying is it seems to me that the world is (probably) as it is because that is the only (or maybe the best) way it can be. That is beautiful, challenging and therefore dangerous.

Your point could be turned into a pretty deplorable justification for harm by an unethical person: "Hey, ultimately, this isn't going to matter, so shut up and stop complaining while I cut off your fingers one by one with these bolt cutters

I agree, it could be and in fact this is happening all over the world and always has. How can human beings behave in such a deplorable manner and even worse. But don't we have to have the choice to do such terrible things ? If we could not choose how could we develop any morals or ethics ? How could we
even theorise or form our philosophies ? Life would be just as intolerable in some ways. I don't know what kind of beings those would be but not human as we know it.

Last edited:
Laird said: I think you've got the sentiments right but the argument wrong: the existence of evil given an omnipotent and good being is absurd - on that we agree - but when you combine that with the fact that evil does exist, which conclusion do you think follows?

Good, evil, omnipotence: these are words that reflect mens' thoughts about the world. Men can conceive of a being able to do anything it desires without restriction, and when it doesn't generate only what they think of as good, they wonder why it created evil. This is a polar view: we have the words "good" and "evil" and see them as complete opposites. However, I recall Idries Shah saying that good and evil intertwine: which I interpret as meaning that good can give rise to evil, and evil to good.

Take something like Hiroshima. Was that evil or good? Forget for the moment the motivation for it, but think only of what happened after the bomb was dropped: many thousands of people died, but on the other hand, Japan had to surrender, and arguably, that saved even more lives. It also brought home to us the horror of nuclear war, but so far, despite our possessing huge nuclear arsenals, it hasn't yet happened. Would that be the case without Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Would the first nuclear conflagration have been much more extensive?

Sometimes men mean well, but their actions end up in causing much suffering; sometimes they mean ill but nonetheless, on aggregate, they generate good. Intention is distinct from effect. Wherein lies good and evil? Is it in intent, or effect?

That apparently the world contains evil can be used as an argument against God's omnipotence, for sure. But what if the world is designed by an omnipotent being to offer a specific kind of experience to us (and thereby Itself) -- the one we're having, warts and all? One where we can learn, evolve, become wiser?

Of course, not all that we think of as evil appears to be generated by us. There are volcanic eruptions, tornadoes, being eaten by crocodiles, disease, and all manner of natural disasters. If an omnipotent God created the possibility of those, then is He capable of evil? Does He have to battle against some other deity that champions evil? I don't buy into such a Manichaeistic view, which I think is the personification of good and evil, seen as opposites rather than complementaries.

Let's not forget: the idea of God is distinct from the idea of God's creation. If we detect what we think of as flaws in creation, that doesn't say anything about God Himself. For all we know, creation as we experience it might be absolutely perfect for His purposes. Intrinsic to this is the veiling, in ordinary circumstances, of knowledge from us -- and thereby, Him? If we think of God as omnipotent, perhaps that should include the possibility of His coming to know something new and interesting to Him, or knowing something (through us?) in a novel way.

Omnipotence is somewhat at odds with omniscience. If God is Omnipotent and omniscient, then what purpose could creation possibly have? By creating, God would consciously be deceiving Himself, consciously pretending He didn't know things and pretending to be interested and excited by them. He'd just be playing games.

Whilst I lean towards God's omnipotence, I don't think He's necessarily omniscient. In fact, if He were omnipotent, then it would be paradoxical to insist that He couldn't come to know anything new, or something in a new and interesting way. If he couldn't, then He wouldn't be omnipotent, would he?

I'm pretty strongly behind Bernardo Kastrup's notion of sentient beings representing dissociated alters of Mind-At-Large: the means whereby MAL can genuinely, and without pretending, experience in a way unknown to It: can grow and develop in a way unknown to It. It's using Its omnipotence to achieve a state, through our creation, of a lack of knowledge.

This automatically creates a veiling of knowledge for Itself and for us. A veiling that now and then becomes a little more transparent: as in various psi phenomena and NDEs. It isn't total transparency, because it's experienced at the level of the dissociated alter rather than that of MAL. Is there still an element of self-deception on the part of MAL? Does it secretly know what's going on -- still indulge in elaborate game-playing?

Therein lies a kind of dualism, and I instinctively suspect that MAL has more integrity. I suspect It has thrown itself totally into Its dissociated forms. It has genuinely forgotten what It is, as an act of omnipotent will. It is genuinely discovering, or perhaps more accurately re-discovering its true nature through Its creations, which include us. The adventure is totally convincing and It isn't pretending. Seen in this light, evil is actually a consequence of It having chosen to forget Itself. Anything less than Itself is bound to appear as somewhat evil; anything that brings It closer to what It actually is, bound to appear as what we call good.

In other words, both good and evil are a kind of illusion, a necessary consequence of MAL's decision to dissociate Itself. And let's not forget: what experiences evil is MAL Itself through Its alters: our suffering is Its suffering, which It considers a reasonable price to pay for Its exercise in remembering Itself.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem with assuming a sole benevolent God who has top down control is there are too many imperfections in this reality that could seemingly be easily patched up?

I'm also wary of the "we are all ultimately One" explanations as those seem to arise from Indian thought which is undoubtedly great in some ways - see all my posts haha - but also arose at least partially in tandem with a brutal caste system. I think even if not used directly as a way to excuse slavery or as an opiate for the masses the evils done by people in society can influence what mystical experiences are had.

OTOH, from a metaphysical perspective there does seem to reasonable argument for a unifying connection between minds. And the division of One into Many, AFAICTell, is less problematic than trying to go the route of bottom-up panpsychism or getting minds from information bits.

In general I'd be curious the degree to which NDEs and mystical experiences brought immediate attitude changes with respect to human rights. Did someone meet Jesus/Krsna/etc and decide they were against slavery, the caste system, or some other evil they formerly accepted?

I think part of the problem with assuming a sole benevolent God who has top down control is there are too many imperfections in this reality that could seemingly be easily patched up?

I'm also wary of the "we are all ultimately One" explanations as those seem to arise from Indian thought which is undoubtedly great in some ways - see all my posts haha - but also arose at least partially in tandem with a brutal caste system. I think even if not used directly as a way to excuse slavery or as an opiate for the masses the evils done by people in society can influence what mystical experiences are had.

OTOH, from a metaphysical perspective there does seem to reasonable argument for a unifying connection between minds. And the division of One into Many, AFAICTell, is less problematic than trying to go the route of bottom-up panpsychism or getting minds from information bits.

In general I'd be curious the degree to which NDEs and mystical experiences brought immediate attitude changes with respect to human rights. Did someone meet Jesus/Krsna/etc and decide they were against slavery, the caste system, or some other evil they formerly accepted?
Loved this post. Had to say it. "Liking" it was not enough :-)

I am going to "think aloud". Not out of narcissistic motives but because maybe someone will find something useful in my thoughts just like I find useful things in many of the things posted here (btw, apologies if I don't ever manage reply directly to all but my problem is a chronic shortage of time....)

I found reading Tim's and Michael's contributions in this thread very valuable, although I do not agree with them - but this is most definitely not the reason for me being here anyway, I'm not here to agree with others and even less so to "sell my big TOE" (as if I had one....still seeking!); I come here for the intellectual stimulation and for the incredibly useful insight into other people's "spiritual"/bizarre experiences). I was thinking while reading those posts that very probably the motivation behind my enquiry is the search for meaning - meaning in what has been happening to me over the past three years but, even before that, the meaning of my existence, and of the existence of this consensus reality in general (just the basic "facts" of our shared experience - our being here, doing what exactly? - require an explanation, and again many thanks to Laird for sketching the key hypotheses about this). In other words, what's the point of all this, really?

What is meaning/purpose? It's something individual - in other words, it's something that one feels is significant for himself/herself. Supposing, like Michael said (Bernardo Kastrup's theory), that we are dissociated alters of a single mind which CHOSE to experience suffering etc (I quote Michael):

"In other words, both good and evil are a kind of illusion, a necessary consequence of MAL's decision to dissociate Itself. And let's not forget: what experiences evil is MAL Itself through Its alters: our suffering is Its suffering, which It considers a reasonable price to pay for Its exercise in remembering Itself."

So this is MAL's project, not my project specifically. It was something fun to do for MAL, but what about me? My problem is this: how come some feel (like Tim: he said he willingly chose to come back to this world to try and make it better, although he also feels that the world won) that it's a great idea to "play this game of hide and seek" while others don't (me for instance)? What Michael and Bernardo describe as MAL's decision is for me very similar to my description of the amoral artist - I don't like the movie/artwork/game I'm being made to participate in, so I experience it as amoral and meaningless for me. Is my disliking this game part of the fun for MAL???? (interesting that the acronym itself of mind at large sounds like EVIL - the prefix "MAL"- implies evil : MALevolent, MALignant, MALicious etc etc - just a coincidence, hehe, I experience gazillions of these so it's nothing new :))

I suppose I should develop a "sympathy for the Devil" (MAL) in order to agree with his idea of dissociating himself- and maybe the various reassuring NDEs are a way to keep those who are forced to participate in this pointless game happy (encouraging reports from a supposed reward in the afterlife etc: keep the cattle happy here in the Demiurge's factory farm! Although MAL is supposedly doing this unknowingly....). Another thing which I find bewildering is the attitude of the Nonduality crowd who basically strive all their life to destroy their ego (and their sense of right and wrong with it, of course) to take MAL's point of view and just "love what is". Whatever crap it is (nature's intrinsic violence, horrible diseases, natural disasters, birth defects, etc etc - is fine for them). BATGAP comes to mind. Lovely people, but for me they have just surrendered to the wish of what to me looks very much like an evil Demiurge (a masochistic one rather than a sadistic one, if he truly has dissociated himself, but still not someone/something to be "loved as he is").

That's my moral point of view and I will stick to it :). And here I'm reminded of another great post by Sciborg, offering hope for rebels like me :): this reality that we share may very well not be the whole of reality (in other words, MAL is not the only mind out there capable of creating a shared reality). It may just be a bad place in the wide ocean of the "Ground of Being", like Wall Street in Sci's example :). I am not such a pessimist to believe that there's no hope and no way out of here - reality has proved to be much weirder than I thought anyway. So, maybe I'll manage NOT to be back here again.

Oh, and of course those who are happy to participate in MAL's game are very welcome to stay here for endless incarnations and have fun with crazy MAL ! :)

Last edited:
Good to hear this...What do you make of that Yogananda quote though? (see the whole article I linked in my post)
I was never quite sure of what to make of Yogananda in general. I live pretty close to the main SRF... been there several times... great in many respects, but just a little bit off in a way I can't quite describe. gives off a culty kinda vibe. feels a little like NDErs who take their experience totally literally and as more real than anyone else's.

But if one experiences time as an illusion, that experience still represents the passage of time?
I think it's a matter of focus, and not as mystical as it's often portrayed. i.e. I can experience timelessness right now (pardon the clumsy language) by focusing on "the observer." once there (or in my case, part of the way there) I develop serious doubts about the time thing.

the various reassuring NDEs are a way to keep those who are forced to participate in this pointless game happy

It was interesting to read your post too, Magda. (If I may call you that). I don't think it is a pointless game; only if you think we are extinguished at death is it pointless.. because then no one gets to view the life they just created from an elevated vantage point where "mistakes" (or choices made for the wrong reason) can be understood.
And yet is it not fairly clear now that people brought back from "death," prolonged cardiac arrest for instance DO undergo this review. Can we not draw some tentative conclusions that there's some purpose operating here ?

we can replace the subject "dogs" with children which suits the purpose better because as far as I know, dogs are not capable of reflecting on life's ultimate questions (as far as we can tell and I would not thank "God" for life as a happy dog. I would rather be an unhappy human with the ability to recognise that).

Why, though, tim? Wouldn't you rather be a happy human with the ability to recognise that? And why would being able to recognise that require that you experienced suffering, as opposed to simply being aware of the hypothetical possibility of suffering, which it made you even happier to know that you were not actually experiencing?

wouldn't that kind of world [one designed without the possibility of accidental harm --Laird] require it's inhabitants to be made out of "rubber," for want of a better comparison ? Then if one fell out of a skyscraper you'd bounce, problem solved.

Not necessarily. We could be made out of the same stuff that we currently are, it could simply be "a law of (bio)physics" that when "human stuff" at high momentum collides with anything else, the "human stuff" is unharmed. We might be sitting around puzzled about why or how this law works, especially as an apparent exception to the general case of collisions at high momentum causing damage, but is there anything inherently impossible or illogical about such an "exceptional" law, and would our puzzling at it be any different to our bemusement at many of the existing laws of our universe?

the world is (probably) as it is because that is the only (or maybe the best) way it can be. That is beautiful, challenging and therefore dangerous.

The best world is a dangerous one? I don't buy that. I don't think it's consistent with the human impulse, either, which, expressed in religions, strives towards some sort of "heaven" where harm and suffering are non-existent. The challenging question then is why an omnipotent, good God would create any reality other than such a heaven.

My answer? He tried to, but He was not omnipotent, and He was opposed.

If we could not choose how could we develop any morals or ethics ?

Why would we have been (have we been) designed such that we "need" to "develop" morals and ethics? Why could we not have been designed such that they were an inherent part of our nature?

My answer: we were, but, again, we (as part of God's creation) were opposed, and corrupted.

Why, though, tim? Wouldn't you rather be a happy human with the ability to recognise that

But I AM a happy human sometimes, just not all the time, and at a rough guess maybe 50 % of the time but of course it varies. I went through quite a long period many years ago (which led me into depression (not clinical) I was still functioning no treatment was needed ) where I analysed everything, immersed myself in all the problems of the world, beating myself up incessantly . In the end I realised I had to stop, I can't solve the world's problems but I CAN choose to think happy thoughts instead of dwelling on the negative. BTW I'm not suggesting you're doing that, Laird

What I'm saying is I CAN (I have the right ... before I thought I didn't) (to) choose to not dwell on all the horror and disaster because even if I dwell on it, it's not going to help or change it.

it could simply be "a law of (bio)physics" that when "human stuff" at high momentum collides with anything else, the "human stuff" is unharmed.

That would be a law of physics that was not predictable, nor would it make any sense.

The best world is a dangerous one? I don't buy that. I don't think it's consistent with the human impulse,

I think it's entirely consistent with human impulse, free-fallers sky divers, mountaineers, explorers etc

The challenging question then is why an omnipotent, good God would create any reality other than such a heaven.

As previously said, how can you know what is heaven when you haven't experienced hell ?

My answer? He tried to, but He was not omnipotent, and He was opposed.

If "God" exists I doubt that he can be opposed against his/her/it's will

Michael, you might be a little shocked by this post. I have seen fit to respond specifically to almost every single point that you made, and you made a lot of them. I am not invested in any response that you might make in turn, all I am interested in is whether you (or anybody else) can genuinely challenge me on the general thrust of my argument - according to my own judgement, of course, which, naturally, might not reflect yours or anybody else's in this thread.

Good, evil, omnipotence: these are words that reflect mens' thoughts about the world. Men can conceive of a being able to do anything it desires without restriction, and when it doesn't generate only what they think of as good, they wonder why it created evil.

I only wonder why it created evil on the assumption that it is not only omnipotent but omnibenevolent too. It seems contradictory that an all-powerful and totally good being would produce evil, and thus it is more than a mere "thought about the world", it is a matter of reason... and I am pretty sure that we are all posting under the guise of being reasonable.

This is a polar view: we have the words "good" and "evil" and see them as complete opposites. However, I recall Idries Shah saying that good and evil intertwine: which I interpret as meaning that good can give rise to evil, and evil to good.

Sure, imperfect, fallible beings who try to do good might inadvertently do evil, but not a perfect and infallible God. But is that the type of God ("mind at large") in whom you believe?

Take something like Hiroshima. Was that evil or good?

In absolute terms, it was utterly evil. You frame it in relative, consequentialist terms, as a matter of "the lesser evil", and, of course, we can all understand pragmatism, but it is only relative, and, ultimately, we have to refer to an ideal to know what is absolutely good, and thus what is absolutely evil.

Wherein lies good and evil? Is it in intent, or effect?

I'd say whether good or evil is in intent or effect depends on context. It might be either, neither, or both.

That apparently the world contains evil can be used as an argument against God's omnipotence, for sure. But what if the world is designed by an omnipotent being to offer a specific kind of experience to us (and thereby Itself) -- the one we're having, warts and all? One where we can learn, evolve, become wiser?

But what need would an omnipotent being have to learn, evolve, and become wiser? Omnipotence includes the power to know all (omniscience), and so, as you point out later, an omnipotent being could only learn, evolve, and become wiser if S/He were to deliberately cripple Him/Herself. Why would an omnipotent being cripple Him/Herself into suffering though? Surely, an omnipotent being who sought to constrain Him/Herself could think of infinitely many more satisfying and pleasurable ways to do so than those which we experience in this reality?

Of course, not all that we think of as evil appears to be generated by us. There are volcanic eruptions, tornadoes, being eaten by crocodiles, disease, and all manner of natural disasters. If an omnipotent God created the possibility of those, then is He capable of evil? Does He have to battle against some other deity that champions evil? I don't buy into such a Manichaeistic view, which I think is the personification of good and evil, seen as opposites rather than complementaries.

You ask a couple of (very pertinent!) questions, which you imply you have good reason to answer in the negative... but then you abandon any pretence at reason, and merely assert an opinion. This is unconvincing. Why, indeed, Michael, if an omnipotent God created the possibility of natural disasters, would we not consider Him to be capable of evil? And if we are to try to justify the existence of the evil of natural disasters, then how else are we to do this than by positing that God, whilst being good, is not omnipotent, but is opposed by a counterpart who seeks such "natural" evils?

Let's not forget: the idea of God is distinct from the idea of God's creation. If we detect what we think of as flaws in creation, that doesn't say anything about God Himself.

Really? Jesus's view seems more apposite to me: "By their fruits shall you know them".

For all we know, creation as we experience it might be absolutely perfect for His purposes.

Sure, if His purposes are not wholly good... but then we're no longer talking about an omnibenevolent God.

Intrinsic to this is the veiling, in ordinary circumstances, of knowledge from us -- and thereby, Him? If we think of God as omnipotent, perhaps that should include the possibility of His coming to know something new and interesting to Him, or knowing something (through us?) in a novel way.

Omnipotence is somewhat at odds with omniscience. If God is Omnipotent and omniscient, then what purpose could creation possibly have? By creating, God would consciously be deceiving Himself, consciously pretending He didn't know things and pretending to be interested and excited by them. He'd just be playing games.

I've responded to these sentiments above. To reiterate: putting aside the question of whether an omnipotent (and, presumably, perfect) being would have any genuine (absolute) motive or *desire* to introduce ignorance and imperfection into His/Her reality, even if ostensibly to experience a (false) ability to learn new things, why on Earth would S/He concoct a means of doing so which involves so much suffering? Surely, an omnipotent being could conceive of "a self-deceptive game of learning" which was entirely fun and pleasurable? There seems to be no need for evil and suffering in His/Her self-deceiving game.

But let's step back and evaluate: if God could have created a fun game for Him/Herself, but somehow didn't, and it turns out instead to be a "game" full of suffering, then what can we deduce from this?

Suddenly, the Manichaean idea seems tenable: suffering comes from somewhere, and, if it doesn't come from God (since there is no plausible reason for God to introduce suffering into His/Her own game), then...

Whilst I lean towards God's omnipotence, I don't think He's necessarily omniscient. In fact, if He were omnipotent, then it would be paradoxical to insist that He couldn't come to know anything new, or something in a new and interesting way.

But it wouldn't be paradoxical. Omnipotence is typically understood to be the power to do anything that is logically possible, whereas coming to know something new when you are omniscient is not logically possible.

The rest of your post simply elaborates, under the framework of Bernardo's idealism, on the idea of "mind at large" (essentially, an omnipotent and good God, entailing a sort of pseudo-Christianity or at least pseudo-monotheism) deceiving itself out of its omniscience so that it might have the apparent experience of genuine discovery. I have already addressed all of this above (twice), but to recap (again): in particular, it is entirely implausible that an omnipotent and good God ("mind at large") would not be capable of devising a game of self-deception (assuming it could even plausibly desire such a thing) that was free from suffering, and entirely fun and pleasurable for itself, as it "discovered" "new" things.

Bingo. That's essentially the point I've been (probably futilely) arguing in all of my above posts.

I'm also wary of the "we are all ultimately One" explanations as those seem to arise from Indian thought which is undoubtedly great in some ways - see all my posts haha - but also arose at least partially in tandem with a brutal caste system.

Too true. I don't claim that I would have been free from that mindset either had I been born into a caste system myself: that stuff, like hard determinism, casts a spell on you. On the other hand, "Oneness" needn't entail a Hindu caste system.

Let me know if you get an answer to this. Or even to the more generic question: "WHAT in your religion, or in your religious practice, convinced you to advocate for human rights?"

So this is MAL's project, not my project specifically. It was something fun to do for MAL, but what about me? My problem is this: how come some feel (like Tim: he said he willingly chose to come back to this world to try and make it better, although he also feels that the world won) that it's a great idea to "play this game of hide and seek" while others don't (me for instance)?

Nice post, Magda. Re your quote above: the crazy/weird/implausible conjecture is that you and MAL are one and the same, in other words that "MAL's project is your project". But obviously - as you can well attest! - this makes no sense. You do not want to be ignorant and "veiled" and wondering what's going on, whereas, presumably, MAL does. And so, the identity breaks down, and badly. Over to the idealists: please explain.

Back