Cardiac Arrest - Resuscitate or not?

Discussion in 'Other Stuff' started by Max_B, Nov 7, 2016.

?

In the event of cardiac arrest, would you wish to be resuscitated, or not?

Poll closed Mar 7, 2017.
  1. I believe in an afterlife, and I WOULD like to be resuscitated.

26.7%
  2. I believe in an afterlife, and I WOULD NOT like to be resuscitated.

13.3%
  3. I am open minded on whether there is/is not an afterlife, and I WOULD like to be resuscitated.

46.7%
  4. I am open minded on whether there is/is not an afterlife, and I WOULD NOT like to be resuscitated.

6.7%
  5. I do not believe in an afterlife, and I WOULD like to be resuscitated.

6.7%
  6. I do not believe in an afterlife, and I WOULD NOT like to be resuscitated.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Max_B

Max_B Member

Home Page:
    Simple enough question about your beliefs, and whether - in the event of cardiac arrest - you would, or would not, wish to be resuscitated?

Sciborg_S_Patel and tim like this.
  2. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

It would depend what condition I was in. Whether there is an afterlife or not I am not certain but I'm in no rush to join the Choir Invisible.

3. malf

malf Member

Yep, age and medical history are important here, IMO.

Roberta, EthanT, K9! and 3 others like this.
  4. Max_B

Max_B Member

Home Page:
    Exactly the condition you are in today. You simply went into cardiac arrest, and medics were called...

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  5. Max_B

Max_B Member

Home Page:
    Same as Malf... you just went into cardiac arrest, in your present state, and medics were called.

6. tim

tim New

Not sure what the exact figures are for cardiac arrest survival in any particular country outside of hospital but they are very low on average (10 % ?). Even in hospital I don't think it's much more than 15 % possibly nudging 20 % in the majority. There are exceptions, Seattle (King County) appears to bring back a whopping 60%.
    http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/health/news/2014/May/19-cardiac-survival.aspx

http://news.heart.org/cardiac-arrest-doesnt-have-to-be-death-sentence/

It's a good question BTW and I've voted for the first one. Probably because I would want to see if I could see those darn pictures (assuming I'm in a particpating hospital) but knowing my luck I'd be ruled out of the study for bias.

EthanT, Typoz, Silence and 2 others like this.
  7. Max_B

Max_B Member

Home Page:
    I'm just interested in other people's opinions. Personally, I wouldn't want to be resuscitated.

Sciborg_S_Patel and tim like this.
  8. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

Ah but which other category are you in?

tim and Sciborg_S_Patel like this.
  9. Open minded and yeah resuscitate me.

Too many responsibilities in this life for me to go on that last adventure just yet.

EthanT, Obiwan, Silence and 4 others like this.
  10. K9!

K9! New

Not only that, but there are family considerations too.

11. tim

tim New

That's interesting. Is that because you are expecting something after death ?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  12. Silence

Silence Member

Hence the reason for my "yes" vote. While certainly selfishly motivated in some part, if given a choice I would wish to remain for my family.

K9! likes this.
  13. malf

malf Member

Responsibilities? Outside this forum? Really?

14. Hurmanetar

Hurmanetar New

Home Page:
    I believe in an afterlife, but I would want to be resuscitated so that I could come back here and tell you all about it. (And of course family/friend connections and responsibilities)

tim, Silence and Sciborg_S_Patel like this.
  15. I was actually referring to maintaining the Resources Threads. ;)

tim, K9!, Typoz and 2 others like this.
  16. Max_B

Max_B Member

Home Page:
    I'd hate to be resuscitated but damaged. I vaguely remember reading about that GP who is horrified by the nightmare he is now living after being resuscitated, with a great deal of neurological damage. I don't feel any strong motivation to cling onto this existence. So when it's time for me to go (and CA seems like a nice way to go), I don't want any do-gooder interfering and bringing me back.

Since I've been researching these issues, I'm tending towards 'this existence ' not being all, and I now feel the idea of resusitation is somewhat strange, it's like somehow not accepting death.

tim, K9! and Sciborg_S_Patel like this.
  17. Silence

Silence Member

How is resuscitation different from any other medical extension of life? Is a cancer patient taking chemotherapy "not accepting death"? Is a diabetic not taking insulin? Is someone managing their high cholesterol through statins?

Seems a slippery slope to me. Now, if you are narrowing it to a definition of a life saving procedure with a reduced quality of life, that's another story. Otherwise, it seems like the age old adage of trying to be "half pregnant".

18. Max_B

Max_B Member

Home Page:
    I've never thought about these other treatments you mention as extending life... I've always thought about them as preventing suffering and increasing quality of life. Resuscitation seems different to me.

19. Silence

Silence Member

Understood. I think it would be difficult to view current cancer treatments different under that lens. For all too many, they ultimately fail to prevent suffering and increase quality of life. Often with quite contrary results.

Its probably all in what circumstances one wishes to contemplate each. For a young person with a previously undiagnosed heart defect causing cardiac arrest, a resuscitation that leads to a surgical repair of the heart would seem to be obvious "good mojo" so to speak. Conversely, recommending an extremely difficult path of chemotherapy and radiation with a relatively low probability of success might not be appealing to a centenarian.

Being a father of three school age children, I have an obvious bias to try and reduce the suffering of my kids. I'm more than willing to bet I'll have a different view down the road. :)

tim and malf like this.
  20. tim

tim New

But not based on patient's reports of floating around the ICU and seeing deceased relatives ? :)

Trancestate, K9! and Typoz like this.