Community Suggestion Box

I would be interested in hearing a guest that belongs to the Society for Psychical research on the show. Especially one who can perhaps provide a rebuttal to some of the Skeptical nonsense that has been widely disseminated lately, such as none of the early work in the SPR was actually documented, or so many of the researchers just weren't capable scientists, or their methodology simply was flawed.

I would be interested in hearing a guest that belongs to the Society for Psychical research on the show. Especially one who can perhaps provide a rebuttal to some of the Skeptical nonsense that has been widely disseminated lately, such as none of the early work in the SPR was actually documented, or so many of the researchers just weren't capable scientists, or their methodology simply was flawed.
I done a lot of shows on this... who would you want to hear from and why?

I done a lot of shows on this... who would you want to hear from and why?
Yes, I've been listening to many of your shows last few days, and came to the realization you've covered the question already in detail! heh. And have done quite a good job at it. Why indeed, keep running over the same ground?

Have you ever interviewed Robert Lanza (Biocentrism)? He would be an interesting guest. Henry Stapp (Mindful Universe)?

There is also a new website up, Skeptical about Skeptics here: http://www.skepticalaboutskeptics.org/ Some of the luminaries involved with this webpage would make for an interesting interview (and some of them you have already interviewed!). One of them is Professor Brian Josephson from Cambridge. What's interesting is if you access Russell Targ's talk page on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Russell_Targ it appears, assuming it was the professor, he was engaged in the usual futile debate with the guerilla skeptics there: Goblin Face, Ronz, TRPRod ake The Red Pen of Doom, etc. and ended up being ridiculed and probably withstood an attempt to censor him (since that's their MO for anyone who disagrees with their materialistic faith). I would be interested on what the professor's take on his experience was. In addition, Russell Targ wrote an open letter to Wikipedia here: http://www.espresearch.com/russell/russell-targ-response-to-wikipedia.shtml claiming his work is not pseudoscience. It would be interesting to find out more about what's going on regarding Targ's Bio page. Since Wikipedia now has such a high profile, and is accessed by millions daily, I think many psi researchers including NDE researchers ought to be seriously concerned about the misinformation that is being deliberately disseminated by the guerilla skeptics, and what impact that will have on just how free they may be able to practice their science in the future.

But for sure Alex, it's your ball of wax here. I've loved all the shows I've listened to so far, and am looking forward to 3.0 Skeptico and where your Skeptical journey will bring you and your listeners next!

My Best,
Bertha

Last edited:
I swear, I thought there was a separate thread specifically to suggest future interviewees. I looked through the search box and it didn't come up. So I think a Future Interview Suggestions thread should be put in the Skeptiko Shows sub-forum (I would do it myself,, but that sub-forum is Alex's baby).

In fact, I feel this whole forum would run easier for the moderators and administrators if a few threads were created to better centralize the forum. I noticed K9! had made a suggestion for a separate sub-forum for Videos and Resource Links. I'd like to modify that and suggest a Video and Resource Links thread stickied for each forum, so that a thread for videos of NDE accounts doesn't get placed in the same sub-forum as a thread for videos of the upcoming Indiana Jones movie.

I swear, I thought there was a separate thread specifically to suggest future interviewees. I looked through the search box and it didn't come up. So I think a Future Interview Suggestions thread should be put in the Skeptiko Shows sub-forum (I would do it myself,, but that sub-forum is Alex's baby).

In fact, I feel this whole forum would run easier for the moderators and administrators if a few threads were created to better centralize the forum. I noticed K9! had made a suggestion for a separate sub-forum for Videos and Resource Links. I'd like to modify that and suggest a Video and Resource Links thread stickied for each forum, so that a thread for videos of NDE accounts doesn't get placed in the same sub-forum as a thread for videos of the upcoming Indiana Jones movie.

There should be a wiki.
Also, I don't know how the process works exactly

:)

Son of a b***h! Sciborg made a Future Interviews thread in the Skeptiko Shows thread, a while ago. So ignore this. The rest of what I suggested still is good.

We need another forum moderator so that we can delete all the spam that is showing up.

~~ Paul
Only found about eight spam threads (so far) today.
stamina-pills.1849
supplement-for-weight-loss.1848
learn-how-to-start-building.1847
dont-give-fat-a-chance.1846
how-to-gain-muscle.1845
supplement-for-mental-health.1844
how-make-brain-sharp-memory.1843
an-insightful-overview-on-elegant-tactics-in-click-here.1842

Several thoughts on other threads have been raised supporting the creation of a subforum dedicated to posting and discussing users' personal spiritual experiences, and setting up experiments to create new experiences. The hope behind this is that, besides opening up threads in a new and exciting area, it'll help bring new perspectives to established threads in the other subforums, and maybe even attract more new members! After all, to paraphrase what many here have said, we can discuss materialism vs. spirituality until the rapture, our personal experience will always trump secondhand accounts and reports.

Several thoughts on other threads have been raised supporting the creation of a subforum dedicated to posting and discussing users' personal spiritual experiences, and setting up experiments to create new experiences. The hope behind this is that, besides opening up threads in a new and exciting area, it'll help bring new perspectives to established threads in the other subforums, and maybe even attract more new members! After all, to paraphrase what many here have said, we can discuss materialism vs. spirituality until the rapture, our personal experience will always trump secondhand accounts and reports.

Well said, Fingers, but I'd prefer a subforum devoted to all personal anomalous experiences, including spiritual ones. Or two subforums, one for spiritual, the other for run-of-the-mill psi experiences.

Doug

Anyone else the last few days getting a "Search this website" tab showing up at the bottom? upload_2015-2-23_9-52-23.png

Never happened before. It blocks the bottom text on the screen. Given that there is a permanent search bar at the top of the screen I'm not sure it adds function and basically just gets in the way!

upload_2015-2-23_9-53-23.png

I couldn't find an option to turn it off.

Anyone else the last few days getting a "Search this website" tab showing up at the bottom? View attachment 399

Never happened before. It blocks the bottom text on the screen. Given that there is a permanent search bar at the top of the screen I'm not sure it adds function and basically just gets in the way!

View attachment 400

I couldn't find an option to turn it off.
Yes, I see it too. There's a column to the right of + Viewed when you're looking at New Posts that is also new I think (or has a new, bigger appearance), and appeared at the same time.

Well said, Fingers, but I'd prefer a subforum devoted to all personal anomalous experiences, including spiritual ones. Or two subforums, one for spiritual, the other for run-of-the-mill psi experiences.

Doug
I'm not even sure it's possible to distinguish the two. Well, it might appear possible, but some experiences might fit in both categories, and others might start in one and shift to the other, or vice versa.

I would love to see a genuine bona fide mystical eastern spiritual master on the show, an expert in Vedic philosophy and/or Buddhism.

Radhanath Swami would be my first choice, He has been a Bhakti Yoga practitioner and spiritual teacher for more than 40 years.

Although there is some controversy surrounding this character, I can not think of anybody better who is alive today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radhanath_Swami

Back