Coronavirus Pandemic

It would seem that YouTube has relented - probably because of the bad publicity - and has restored this video!

David

David, you may be mistaken... but also, maybe, YouTube has allowed the videos back up but via a different link? If you have a new link at Youtube, please, provide us the link... the previous links still say the two videos have been removed.

Last edited:
David, you may be mistaken... but also, maybe, YouTube has allowed the videos back up but via a different link? If you have a new link at Youtube, please, provide us the link... the previous links still say the two videos have been removed.
I got the link from another site and posted it here. I did not see it break, but I listened to Tucker Carlson report that they had taken it down. My guess is that someone in YouTube (they must have many people doing this censoring) decided it wasn't 'on message' and pulled it, but then someone more senior realised that might get them into some hot water, and reversed the decision.

David

I got the link from another site and posted it here. I did not see it break, but I listened to Tucker Carlson report that they had taken it down. My guess is that someone in YouTube (they must have many people doing this censoring) decided it wasn't 'on message' and pulled it, but then someone more senior realised that might get them into some hot water, and reversed the decision.

David

So, no link to the restored video on YouTube?

But it was I who posted it, just recently! And this is not YouTube, it's alt-media Off-Guardian:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/coronavirus-pandemic.4489/page-37#post-141165

Do you mean that you posted this link before me, pages before? Apparently I don't understand something. :eek:
OK my mistake - we both posted that video. Since Fox News reported it withdrawn by YouTube, I think it was pulled for 'political' reasons.

I think the full video is still censored.

David

What you don't seem to realise is that there is no right of reply, anyone can trash someone else if the other person isn't there to respond.

You claim to be sceptical about paranormal phenomena, but your scepticism seems to extend to the very idea that powerful people might not be doing things for the best of all possible reasons!

David

For what little it's worth, I'll throw in a couple incomplete thoughts.

It's been over a decade since I've considered myself either a republican or a conservative, but I continue to read the Drudge Report on a multiple-times-a-day basis. I've noticed that Matt Drudge has taken some flak over the past several months for not toeing the orthodox populist republican/Trumpian perspective but I think his site still speaks to/for this audience as much as any source does. At this present moment, his first and second links are about the lockdown protests in Michigan. The second link/headline Drudge has re-titled 'Tyrants Get The Rope'... (Original title: Protesters Took To The Michigan Capital Thursday Against Governor’s Stay At Home Order)

I'm a bit concerned and bemused by this misappropriation of leftist language. "Get the rope" has its roots in the French Revolution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/À_la_lanterne

Lanterne is a French word designating a lantern or lamp post. The word, or the slogan "À la lanterne!" (in English: To the Lamp Post!) gained special meaning and status in Paris and France during the early phase of the French Revolution, from the summer of 1789.[3] Lamp posts served as an instrument to mobs to perform extemporised lynchings and executions in the streets of Paris during the revolution when the people of Paris occasionally hanged officials and aristocrats from the lamp posts. The English equivalent would be "String Them Up!" (British) or "Hang 'Em High!"(American)

One of the more active groups involved in the French Revolution were the Jacobins: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobin_(politics)

The Jacobins were known for creating a strong government that could deal with the needs of war, economic chaos, and internal rebellion (such as the War in the Vendée). The Jacobin dictatorship was known for enacting the Reign of Terror, which targeted speculators, monarchists, right-wing agitators, Hébertists, and traitors, and led to many beheadings.

"Right-wing agitators" would be a perfect description for the folks behind much of this "open up!" astroturfing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

What strikes me as ludicrous about these protests is how leftist language and aesthetic is being repurposed by the astroturfers to dress up in the garments of revolt - but not to rally in support of the interests of the people, but rather, in the INTERESTS OF THE POWER ELITE! "Give us the "freedom" to go back into the cramped offices and working spaces we are subjected to by corporate powers and let us die for massa's bottom line!" Dafuq!?

1588338074187.png

Of course, these protests don't speak for most people - including many of the right-leaning: https://www.vox.com/coronavirus-cov...virus-us-polls-lockdown-social-distancing-end (Hence, astroturfing paid for and supported by corporatist scum).

This retooling of language to abuse us psychologically into supporting our own enslavement and abuse is very vexing to me. It appears that not everyone is falling for it, but if you people wanna talk about conspiracies, how about the obvious efforts of the ruling classes to enact an "op" on us to confuse us and conflate our own individual well-being and freedom with THEIR financial gain?

In the words of Rage Against the Machine:

And, let me wrap up by rooting all this in our mutual affection for the paranormal and spiritual. When the HELL have you encountered an NDE or spiritually transformative experience where the experiencer came back to tout the value of having all of (or any of) one's life wasted WORKING FOR THE MAN!? - Let alone, RISK one's life trying to obtain financial wealth for someone who doesn't give a good goddamn for you!?

For my part, my hope is that the spiritual agencies behind this world are using this thing to unshackle us from the archonic restraints that have been binding many of us to a social system that isn't in most of our interests. And, yet... people are just itching to get back to their bondage and go out and expose themselves to their own and others deaths - including people who ought to know better! I don't get it.

Interesting rant, Philemon... and it is, indeed, a rant. An honest rant, a rant with many points well made. I share this sentiment but I am bipolar and so I sometimes find myself swinging to "get back to work! Slaves!" Fortunately (for everybody else) the latter is fading and the former (that reflects your sentiments) is winning. I try and be honest too.

It is why I have come to see the statement, "Don't let the cure be worse than the virus," as a symbol for the old ways.

I now hold to the following - "Guess what folks? The virus is the cure."

What you don't seem to realise is that there is no right of reply, anyone can trash someone else if the other person isn't there to respond.

You claim to be sceptical about paranormal phenomena, but your scepticism seems to extend to the very idea that powerful people might not be doing things for the best of all possible reasons!

David

Almost all governments of the world have acted in a similar fashion - they have been spooked by this virus. That’s a grand conspiracy too far. As an aside there are tricky legal reasons (particularly in the states) why ending the lockdown, and deliberately exposing workers to risk is hellishly tricky. Is Trump prepared to be the legal backstop?

I’ve had to question my own biases and assumptions on this. It was my value judgement (not science judgement) that the lockdown was a bad idea.

This was a horrible situation/decision for our world leaders, but sacrificing some of the population (generally the least productive) now, and safeguarding the health and wellbeing of the majority seemed like the best route to me. Battles with microbes have been part of animal life and death always.

Of course, there are obvious examples, in the last century or so, of humanity sacrificing its most productive generations in order to protect our way of life.

However, I realise I am out of step with the vast majority of people on this. Perhaps they are myopic to the future, but perhaps they are just nicer, more empathetic people. History will have to judge.

Back