Courtney Brown, The Future of Scientific Remote Viewing |421|

You might have noticed that I take my propaganda from a wide range of sources. :D I think that’s probably sensible and healthy. I guess we’re all on our own journey. The podcast was quite entertaining anyhow, but feel free to ignore.
There is no such thing as merely sampling hate.

I will not leave enforced ignorance nor hate unchallenged. I await with anticipation the balance of which you boast.

Alex interviewed a man named Robert Bruce on Skeptico a few years ago. He taught people how to have obe's. I knew someone who was adept at it as well. The practice is not without its risks though. As this person said, "While you are out of your body something else may enter it." And it might not be easy to rid oneself of it.

I'm going through Astral dynamics again right now, and according to Robert Bruce it's impossible to have your body possessed while you are out of body because you aren't actually out of body but instead projecting a double outward. I don't recall anywhere else where he says to be wary of projecting due to possession, but I understand you are saying this other person had made the claim and not Robert Bruce.

1. Strong personal connection - From my experience and from what I have gleaned from others (like Andy P), sometimes precognition occurs when there is a strong personal tie to the future event; especially a tie heavily laden with emotion

But not always. Dreamer and Changed in a Flash have both personally connected and unrelated instances of precognition. Personally I think that dreaming precognition and RV arise from the same essential mechanism. The question of how it works is not as important as how to work with it - imo.

There could be a perfectly sensible quantum science explanation that just turn most people's minds to jelly - so we rely on art terms instead. There's a whole bunch of woo stuff that happens naturally to varying degrees of intensity, but making it happen intentionally is hard for most people, even with coaching and training - like OOBEs and RV. (experts in intentional acts might dispute this assertion).

Some claim that some 'abilities' are entirely down to whether spirit (in whatever form) is into you having the experience or ability. This is why some things come about completely spontaneously for people who have no evident desire for what happens - think Robert Monroe for example. Geller claims ET is what makes what he can do possible. Some of the more spectacular magicians claim the same thing. In fact it has to be generally said that throughout human history we have attributed the ability to do stuff to spirit/s.

Its an "explanation" I favour, based on significant personal experience. I use scare quotes because, of course, its no explanation at all. But that is the way of things for us most of the time - we need the language of art and (spirit) politics to be able to talk about this at all. We may fold science into this in the same way that we think science describes gravity - but only the effect and not the cause. And when you are at the level of talking 'effect' its really only cultural politics that leads you to favour art over science, or vice versa.

Why do we need political propaganda from an author and a podcast host who both garnered their success through silver-spoon nepotism, are angry 'drunk-uncle' nihilists, closet Antifa supporters, do not know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to science, logic, inference, investigation, spirituality nor remote viewing - and demonstrate a visceral hatred of two thirds of Americans?

Wow TES! This is almost uncharacteristically intemperate language from you :)

There is no such thing as merely sampling hate.

I will not leave enforced ignorance nor hate unchallenged. I await with anticipation the balance of which you boast.

Speaking of balance, is this is the the same Courtney Brown who RV’d a spaceship in the Hale-Bopp comet - swallowed hook, line and sinker by the Heaven’s Gate crowd? How’d that go?

Last edited:
Speaking of balance, is this is the the same Courtney Brown who RV’d a spaceship in the Hale-Bopp comet - swallowed hook, line and sinker by the Heaven’s Gate crowd? How’d that go?

Its a good question Malf. A response has 2 parts. One - was there a spaceship associated with the comet? I have issues with folk who claim stuff that can't be empirically assessed. maybe there was a spaceship, but, HTF would we know?

Two - the Heaven's Gate mob obviously thought the way I do and decided on an all-in empirical assessment of the claim. Were they right? How would we know?

The obvious presumption to make is that topping yourself to jump on a passing spaceship disguised as a comet is just barking bloody mad. That's the presumption I favour, but I am not going to put hard money on it.

This puts us back to whether there was a spaceship or not. Was there? Was it responsible to claim there was? Would it have been reasonable to anticipate that some sect somewhere would take the claim as an invitation to attempt to transfer from planet Earth to the alleged spaceship in spirit form? I am sure any lawyers reading this post will have an opinion as to whether Courtney can or should be held accountable at law. I am going to guess they will not so think.

Its a good question Malf. A response has 2 parts. One - was there a spaceship associated with the comet? I have issues with folk who claim stuff that can't be empirically assessed. maybe there was a spaceship, but, HTF would we know?

Two - the Heaven's Gate mob obviously thought the way I do and decided on an all-in empirical assessment of the claim. Were they right? How would we know?

The obvious presumption to make is that topping yourself to jump on a passing spaceship disguised as a comet is just barking bloody mad. That's the presumption I favour, but I am not going to put hard money on it.

This puts us back to whether there was a spaceship or not. Was there? Was it responsible to claim there was? Would it have been reasonable to anticipate that some sect somewhere would take the claim as an invitation to attempt to transfer from planet Earth to the alleged spaceship in spirit form? I am sure any lawyers reading this post will have an opinion as to whether Courtney can or should be held accountable at law. I am going to guess they will not so think.

Given that my ‘balance’ is being audited now ;) you are either,

1. Asking all the pertinent questions, or

2. Throwing enough fog to allow a reckless huckster to continue to pedal his schtick.

Take your pick.

This is from “Rationalwiki”, which probably isn’t the most unbiased source, but here’s what they say about it:

“Brown was the origin of the myth that there was an alien object following the comet Hale-Bopp, leading eventually to the mass suicide of the members of Heaven's Gate.[10][11][12]
He developed this idea as a result of remote viewing sessions at the Farsight Institute, saying "The remote viewing results clearly suggest that the object was artificial in nature, and that it was under intelligent control."[13] His report, on the overnight radio show Coast to Coast AM, created a sensation that the Heaven's Gate loonies evidently treated as though it were established fact. The mass suicide was reported by them as a way of traveling to the alien object.

Whether or not Courtney Brown was responsible, or partly responsible, for the Heaven's Gate deaths has been a hot item on the Internet debate stage ever since. Keep an open mind, folks, just don't let your brains fall out.”

Now maybe he was right, who really knows. But while I don’t doubt that there’s something to this remote viewing thing, I can’t help but to be a little skeptical of many of the claims of remote viewers. At any rate, I’m certainly not going to blame him for the actions of a bizarre cult.

Curious question for those who know more about this topic than I do. What are the biggest pieces of evidence for remote viewing? Have there been any laboratory studies of note? Again, I believe that there’s something to this. But is it really as bulletproof as Dr Brown says it is? I’ve heard him throw statements around stating that it’s “90-100 percent accurate” when done right. Not sure how one would quantify this, but that’s what he was saying on the Coast to Coast with Art Bell from 1996 that I listened to yesterday.

Speculating for the purpose of generating hypotheses to test is useful.
Speculating to make excuses for embarrassing failures is not useful it is harmful. It proves nothing and spreads unfounded theories which people then repeat as if they were fact. In some fields it doesn't matter very much but where it touches on important topics like the afterlife and the nature of reality and the human soul, it is really a bad idea to spread unfounded speculation in a way that influences people's spiritual beliefs.

I am not speculating after the fact. I would have told Courtney, before he tried to RV those future events, that failure was certain, and why

But not always. Dreamer and Changed in a Flash have both personally connected and unrelated instances of precognition. Personally I think that dreaming precognition and RV arise from the same essential mechanism. The question of how it works is not as important as how to work with it - imo.

There could be a perfectly sensible quantum science explanation that just turn most people's minds to jelly - so we rely on art terms instead. There's a whole bunch of woo stuff that happens naturally to varying degrees of intensity, but making it happen intentionally is hard for most people, even with coaching and training - like OOBEs and RV. (experts in intentional acts might dispute this assertion).

Some claim that some 'abilities' are entirely down to whether spirit (in whatever form) is into you having the experience or ability. This is why some things come about completely spontaneously for people who have no evident desire for what happens - think Robert Monroe for example. Geller claims ET is what makes what he can do possible. Some of the more spectacular magicians claim the same thing. In fact it has to be generally said that throughout human history we have attributed the ability to do stuff to spirit/s.

Its an "explanation" I favour, based on significant personal experience. I use scare quotes because, of course, its no explanation at all. But that is the way of things for us most of the time - we need the language of art and (spirit) politics to be able to talk about this at all. We may fold science into this in the same way that we think science describes gravity - but only the effect and not the cause. And when you are at the level of talking 'effect' its really only cultural politics that leads you to favour art over science, or vice versa.

Michael,
I was just saying that strong emotional personal tie is something that can trigger one of these events.

I agree that OBE, RV, Psi, precog dream are all related. Just slightly different nuances of the same basic phenomenon.

I don't know how it works either. I have offered my speculations elsewhere on this forum. I used to think that something left the body. It sure feels that way. I no longer think that's true. I think leaving the body is the mind's way of interpreting it's expanded perception.

I do not believe that a demon or whatever can enter you while you are having an expanded mind experience that you interpret as OBE. That is a Christian scare tactic based on their prohibitions.

I do think that demonic forces can possess a person for other reasons.

Do you have a link for that?

It is always possible that Courtney and his crew are inept RVers that believe their own delusions or are frauds.

The Hale-Bopp thing is another example of why I am so concerned with all of the snake oil sales people in this area, like Mary Rodwell. Real harm can come from these people.

Curious question for those who know more about this topic than I do. What are the biggest pieces of evidence for remote viewing? Have there been any laboratory studies of note? Again, I believe that there’s something to this. But is it really as bulletproof as Dr Brown says it is? I’ve heard him throw statements around stating that it’s “90-100 percent accurate” when done right. Not sure how one would quantify this, but that’s what he was saying on the Coast to Coast with Art Bell from 1996 that I listened to yesterday.

RVing is not "bullet proof" - anyone who says so is dishonest.

The Stargate program returned some stellar (pardon the pun) results under tightly controlled conditions.

Tart had an OBEr (same as RVing, IMO) view some 5 digit numbers.

There is evidence. The military dropped the program (though the CIA picked it up) because RVing isn't reliable. Valid, but not reliable.

Straw man if you are referring to me. I have no idea who Courtney is. I was not defending him or her. I am here to learn, ponder and assume my own responsibility to discern darkness from valid human expression - not enforce propaganda (which is just the darkness-in-charge).

You have cited two books which are much more harm-inducing than any of the most extreme anecdotes you can whip up here. You had to reach back to the 90's to stir up some weak tu quoque counter here. I am referring to journalists such as the three you have recommended thus far who enact ongoing and pervasive harm to humanity in the here and now. Those who bully humanity into what they must believe and remain ivory-tower unaccountable to the harm that they cause.

Nassim Taleb outlines some of the thought around people rebelling against this form of ontological enslavement of mankind.

Never read a book by a journalist. Journalists are used to people being terrorized by them, particularly those "powerful yet slaves"; they feel entitled to viciously smear those they can smear.
This is what these books are. Nothing more.

When I read through some objective material on Courtney's role in the Heaven's Gate affair - I will make my own decision, or most-likely may not make any decision at all.

Last edited:
Wow TES! This is almost uncharacteristically intemperate language from you :)
Yes, I am obtollent. I oppose people who are journalist social authorities (who don't do any research) promoting ignorance and hatred/denigration of large groups of people for their ideas, beliefs or avenues of research - all falsely in the name of science.

If you read my web site, you will find me consistent in that ethic. :)

Light makes mistakes, darkness is a mistake.

Last edited:
In the pre-interview thread I linked to a few talks by Courtney where he tackles these issues and also talks about the how the RV sequence (Target selection, Target viewing, Evaluation of data) is critical.

All of this leads me to this idea:
Many possible futures exist simultaneously, but which one is realized in the now moment is a matter of choice or randomness. And if the future is not fixed, the past is not fixed either because the past is constructed of memories and evidence and future discoveries delivering new evidence can change the story of the past. Our story about the past is composed of information networked together in the present creating a solid structure in the now moment which decreases in solidity and stability as we look forwards or backwards to a vanishing point.

Any being that can traverse space-time is not merely a space-traveler, or a time-traveler, but a story traveler. We exist in a cosmic hierarchy, and it is engaged in battles over not merely real-estate, but battles over story lines. So those who would pop into our reality and make edits to objects or memories or DNA are editing the story and not merely physical artifacts.

I have two ways of visualizing this idea:
Imagine walking down a winding path. The path is composed of puzzle pieces assembled together to form the image of the path. The puzzle is firmly assembled where you stand in the "now" moment, but as you look forwards or backwards down the path the puzzle pieces begin to separate and even further out they become completely disassembled and float in a cloud of possible configurations. As you walk along the path the puzzle pieces assemble together in front of you to form a solid path and dissolve behind you. It is the web of collective interactions that is the magical force that assembles the pieces underneath your feet.

Another way to visualize this:
Imagine you are a very small worm eating your way through a very large apple. As you progress you can choose your direction. Behind you is a little worm hole extending through the solid body of the apple a short distance. But because you are a very tiny worm inside a very large living apple, a short distance behind you the apple flesh grows back together sealing off your worm hole so that you cannot tell from which direction you came. So basically from where you are in this now moment you possess memories and observations which extend your path a short distance behind you, but a little further back and there are multiple paths that intersect with your path. And in front of you are multiple possible paths intersecting with your path. The photon passing through the double-slit has such a short worm hole trailing behind it that by the time it reaches the detector, no one can tell what its past was, so multiple possible pasts intersect with the now moment resulting in the interference pattern. We are much more complex full of more interactions, so our past trails a little further back, but neverthless we have a vanishing point in our history beyond which we cannot tell anything about our past and at that point multiple pasts intersect our present.

So "we are bugs trapped in the amber of this moment" with multiple paths intersecting the now moment. (I've been listening to Slaughterhouse Five... good book!)
I really like that idea, although it is definitely scary!

David

Last edited:
If you are going to make suggestions like that, I'd much prefer that you present some sort of evidence please.

Or to save you the trouble, here it is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/courtney-brown-and-the-hale-bopp-companion.4574/

David

And there you have it.

Once again I feel vindicated in my staunch criticism of some of the guests on Skeptiko. Some of them are simple whack jobs and some of them are dangerous huckster whack-jobs. Paranormal topics are a magnet for such people. We must be highly skeptical of any claims and we must develop a finely honed ability to separate the wheat from the chaff. IMO, the pile of chaff is much larger than the wheat.

Conspiracy theories are firmly in this bucket as well. These things are dangerous as they erode the social order and sans the excellent social order we have created in America and, indeed, in Western Civ more generally, life for most will be brutish and short.

Skeptiko, IMO, needs to be more discerning - as do we all.

So nothing about RV can be gleaned from Brown because he is a fraud and/or delusional.

Last edited:
Kraft Heinz was the founder and promoter of Kool-Aid (an illegitimate and anti-health sugar drink). His trained executives even went on the Art Linkletter show and promoted this mysterious concoction - on children no less! Shortly thereafter, the Jim Jones cult all went and committed suicide using Kool-Aid - wherein, 918 people (many of them innocent children) were all slaughtered by use of his fraudulent and unhealthy product.

We need more discernment if Heinz's products are to ever be mentioned again in this forum, (or flavored drinks for that matter - they died by drinking that stuff).

In this manner, we will be more rational.

Last edited:
Back