Mod+ Discussion - Are Genetically Modified Foods Safe? Should they be labeled?

Should GMO foods be labeled?

• Yes

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
We share many of the same thoughts and concerns regarding diabetes, complex system manipulations, etc....I would characterize my own feelings on genetic engineering as ever evolving, meaning that the more I learn, the more I am intrigued and want to learn more.

Definitely look more into CRISPR and let me know how you feel about stuff like this:

http://newsroom.cumc.columbia.edu/b...ng-genetic-defect-patient-derived-stem-cells/

Thanks for the link. Sounds like something I am totally for getting investigated and used. (There more I learn about stem cells, it aggravates me we haven't done more research there). Correct me if I'm missing something, but this sounds way more targeted and safer than the GMOS in food. They're repairing a specific gene that is already messed up in the host and therefore in the generated stem cells. Doesn't seem like something that has grave risk to the environment or to the population as a whole, from what I can tell. Most of the risk seems to be to the patient targeted for treatment, for a disease that can't be super common (relative to global population anyhow 1.5 million vs ~7 billion, I think we're at now?). Stem cell treatments sound very promising, in general. CRISPR sounds like a way to enhance that to me. Until I see something to worry about, I'm all for it for now! If I was blind I would sign up for it today. Then again, if I was blind I would eat the new frankenfish salmon by the dozen if I thought it would help in the slightest!

Thanks for sharing ;-)

GLYPHOSATE. Glyphosate is the active chemical ingredient in Roundup herbicide as well as many other name brand glyphosate-based weedkillers. These herbicides are the most widely used in the world and their use has increased exponentially with the introduction of Genetically Engineered (GMO) crops.

Oh no another Novella blog post smh, since when has he been an expert in the field?

GLYPHOSATE. Glyphosate is the active chemical ingredient in Roundup herbicide as well as many other name brand glyphosate-based weedkillers. These herbicides are the most widely used in the world and their use has increased exponentially with the introduction of Genetically Engineered (GMO) crops.
Any references for "increased exponentially"? Either way, you're still conflating two issues: The safety of GMOs and the safety of weedkiller. (Of course, I understand why you're doing that as you've not much to contribute on the former). By all means start another thread on weedkiller if you want.

Wouldn't be conflating if it goes hand in hand. Novella doesn't strike me as particularly sharp on the gmo debate. My sources are from different researchers not one psuedoskeptic. It's obvious you're a fan boy. And you likely didn't read all 3 articles I posted. You'll probably run away when pressed like in the evolution thread

The safety of a weedkiller has nothing to do with the safety of GMOs. They are different issues.

The dishonesty and manipulation of science by Monsanto does matter though, which is why the articles were posted.

The dishonesty and manipulation of science by Monsanto does matter though, which is why the articles were posted.
We'll start a thread on that then, or the evils of big corporations, or capitalism generally.

None of which has anything with the safety (or otherwise) of GMOs.

The issue of glyphosate’s safety is not a trivial one for Americans. Over the last two decades, Monsanto has genetically re-engineered corn, soybeans and cotton so it is much easier to spray them with the weed killer, and some 220 million pounds of glyphosate were used in 2015 in the United States.

The issue of glyphosate’s safety is not a trivial one for Americans. Over the last two decades, Monsanto has genetically re-engineered corn, soybeans and cotton so it is much easier to spray them with the weed killer, and some 220 million pounds of glyphosate were used in 2015 in the United States.
I'm not saying it's trivial. I'm saying it's not the issue we were talking about.

I'm not saying it's trivial. I'm saying it's not the issue we were talking about.

Ehhh you're pulling at straws my man. Just admit you jumped the gun a bit. Take time to read the articles and how they relate, have a good one

Thanks for the link. Sounds like something I am totally for getting investigated and used. (There more I learn about stem cells, it aggravates me we haven't done more research there). Correct me if I'm missing something, but this sounds way more targeted and safer than the GMOS in food. They're repairing a specific gene that is already messed up in the host and therefore in the generated stem cells. Doesn't seem like something that has grave risk to the environment or to the population as a whole, from what I can tell. Most of the risk seems to be to the patient targeted for treatment, for a disease that can't be super common (relative to global population anyhow 1.5 million vs ~7 billion, I think we're at now?). Stem cell treatments sound very promising, in general. CRISPR sounds like a way to enhance that to me. Until I see something to worry about, I'm all for it for now! If I was blind I would sign up for it today. Then again, if I was blind I would eat the new frankenfish salmon by the dozen if I thought it would help in the slightest!

Thanks for sharing ;-)

Yes, I think there is a significant difference between this example and most of the GE crop genetic engineering but I wasn't using CRISPR tech as a justification for GE crops - just sharing an example that is considered genetic manipulation but that folks may embrace. I actually think that as CRISPR evolves, we may see a decrease in transgene use in crop engineering (although scientists look at all these gene manipulation techniques as "tools in the toolbox" and may use all of them combined as well).

Sorry short on time but more to come...

A reminder

Mod+ Discussion - Are Genetically Modified Foods Safe? Should they be labeled?

Back