Mod+ Discussion - Are Genetically Modified Foods Safe? Should they be labeled?

Should GMO foods be labeled?

• Yes

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Yikes! I would not rely on this article to form a concrete opinion about organic farming practices. I don't see one mention of soil health in the whole piece. It's really an oversimplified hit piece with no nuance whatsoever. Too bad, but that's how our "civilized" culture works - set up extreme polarizing perspectives and dig in and defend them no matter what, ignoring the fact that there are truths on both sides that could be embraced for real progress on these issues.

Yikes! I would not rely on this article to form a concrete opinion about organic farming practices. I don't see one mention of soil health in the whole piece. It's really an oversimplified hit piece with no nuance whatsoever. Too bad, but that's how our "civilized" culture works - set up extreme polarizing perspectives and dig in and defend them no matter what, ignoring the fact that there are truths on both sides that could be embraced for real progress on these issues.
Obvious hit piece, I like balance and I believe organic farming is far from perfect. Nutella....err I mean novella is clearly a shill

The piece introduces a German study that is interesting. Any thoughts on that? The point that 'organic' has become little more than a middle class marketing term may be up for debate but I think we need a more nuanced approach than the 'organic=good' meme.

(As you may know, I've a few hectares of avocado orchard so I take your point on soil health.)

Monsanto Investigative — the Pesticide Giant’s War Against Science

France’s leading newspaper Le Monde launched an investigative series this morning on Monsanto, depicting the company’s total disregard for anything that stands in the way of its business: independent and critical science, regulations and — most important of all — health and the environment. The investigation is based on the “Monsanto Papers,” a batch of internal documents released by a federal court more than two months ago.

The story published today by Le Monde shows with extensive detail how the company has systematically been trying to discredit, intimidate and silence any organization determined to blow the whistle, including the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer. It depicts the various methods one of the world’s biggest corporations is willing to use to keep the lid on uncomfortable information: extensive use of legal filings, massive lobbying campaigns, and even fake journalists (whom Le Monde describes as “characters who could almost be from a John Le Carré novel) to try and dig up dirt to intimidate its opponents. It’s been, to quote the French daily, “a judicial, bureaucratic, intrusive guerrilla warfare.”

Any French speakers who can give us more detail?

(Note I purposefully didn't quote the paragraph about Monsanto & Trump as I think it would derail the thread.)

Monsanto Investigative — the Pesticide Giant’s War Against Science

Any French speakers who can give us more detail?

(Note I purposefully didn't quote the paragraph about Monsanto & Trump as I think it would derail the thread.)

Found another English piece on this:

Monsanto's "Guerrilla War" Against Science

Back in March, The New York Times published an article reporting on the documents as evidence that Monsanto was very much aware of the noxiousness of glyphosate, the main ingredient in one of its top products, Roundup. But the story published Thursday by Le Monde reporters Stéphane Foucart and Stéphane Horel goes beyond that. It shows with extensive detail how the company has systematically been trying to discredit, intimidate and silence any organization determined to blow the whistle, including the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer.

Le Monde depicts the various methods that one of the world's biggest corporations is willing to use to keep the lid on uncomfortable information: extensive use of legal filings, massive lobbying campaigns, and even fake journalists (whom Le Monde describes as "characters who could almost be from a John Le Carré novel") to try and dig up dirt to intimidate its opponents. It’s been, to quote the French daily, "a judicial, bureaucratic, intrusive guerrilla warfare."

Back