Do we really see a tunnel of light and have out-of-body experiences when we die?

Apparently Geelong-based neurologist Dr Cameron Shaw has all the answers, and it takes a familiar materialistic view of the subject of NDEs. Very disappointing this is promoted in a mainstream Australian news website.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...e/news-story/e33a1b16ac566e08257f1ec59cacb875

Seems News.com.au rehashed a story from another website ... https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/we-dissected-a-brain-to-understand-what-happens-when-you-die

There is no real science going on here. I can't for the life of me think how dissecting a long dead human brain is going to give you an insight into an NDE. To me its just an uninformed scientist once again giving us his point of view, as seen from the excerpt below...

His description of narrowing vision sounded a bit like a light at the end of a tunnel, so I asked for his opinion. "Look, I'm sceptical," he said. "I think out of body experiences have been debunked, just because the mechanisms that produce sight and record memories are inoperative." In short, he explained, it's more likely to be an effect that occurs before a loss of consciousness, rather than something that happens during.​

Comments? This sort of rubbish science really doesn't help humanity.

I posted about one good OBE case over in another thread: http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/another-obe-study-this-may.3700/#post-110177

I wonder how he'd respond to that.

Also, I noticed that the older article referred to Sam Parnia saying that OBEs were illusions, didn't he change his opinion after the AWARE study?
Yes, I'm currently reading The Self Does not Die: Verified Paranormal phenomena from Near-Death Experiences by Titus Rivas, et al. so you can understand my amazement at such an ill-informed article appearing in news.com.au. The Sam Parnia quite is just criminal. Yes his statements later on Skeptiko do not reflect the quote made.

Yes, I'm currently reading The Self Does not Die: Verified Paranormal phenomena from Near-Death Experiences by Titus Rivas, et al. so you can understand my amazement at such an ill-informed article appearing in news.com.au. The Sam Parnia quite is just criminal. Yes his statements later on Skeptiko do not reflect the quote made.
That Parnia quote linked to Skeptiko from the VICE article isn't correct is it?

If so, he probably needs telling.

That Parnia quote linked to Skeptiko from the VICE article isn't correct is it?
edit: yeah he's saying he doesn't have the answers, and that's why he's doing the research, and he's demonstrating that by saying he wouldn't have spent the last 12 years doing research if he knew the answers.

That VICE article alters his statements, and makes it seem like he's saying that if he knew what he knows now, he wouldn't have wasted 12 years of his life conducting research.

Is this a great case of the VICE editor reading his own bias into what Parnia said? Is it just deliberate? Is it deliberate to get people up in arms so it goes viral on the internet?