Mod+ dreams and the meaning of them

hi there. you guys propably already know that i occasionally create weird threads. that'll be another one like that. im not sure though if theres a existing thread for that somewhere. i was searching a bit, didnt find anything though.
i want to write and discuss a bit about dreams. im pretty bad till now when it comes to experiencing spiritual stuff myself, thats why im trying to start with that. we all dream regularly. i usually do not remember every dream im having but from time to time im having one of those really intense ones. those are pretty rare though. they seem more real then the others.
i never had a dream where i realized that im dreaming. my question to all of that is what we can learn of those dreams. i know of lucid dreaming and stuff like that, but that doesnt really solve for me what dreams can tell me. im also not convinced that dreams are just the things i lived through the day before.
any opinion on that? i still vividly remember one of those dreams. it was weeks ago, but i remember quite a few details from it. i usually do not even remember that many details from when im awake, thats why it seems weird to me.

im also not convinced that dreams are just the things i lived through the day before.
any opinion on that?
Funny thing that. I was asking a friend, as an opening to a conversation, what he thought of dreams. He gave an elaborate answer, but in essence it was that dreams are a re-running of elements from the previous day(s). After that, I started to describe to him a dream I'd had the previous night, one which puzzled me. And as I began to talk, suddenly I understood. The scene from the dream was being acted out right there and then, in the room we were in.

Now that sounds crazy, so I should add that it wasn't a literal enactment. But if we were to regard it as a theatrical representation, where the characters and events in the dream were symbolic, it was an illustration of a particular quandary I found myself in.

Nether the dream nor the events made much sense on their own, but together it acted as a bright light illuminating my situation, and acting as a kind of guidance. When I say guidance, I mean in the same sense that shining a bright light helps us to see better, not that there was any specific advice given. I prefer not to give any further details of the dream, as my aim isn't to prove anything to anyone, but merely to state one way in which dreams can be interpreted. But there are many varieties of dream, not all of them fit this pattern. I'm also thinking what I've said probably makes no sense to anyone else. :)

I think you read my post in the other forum, if not go check it out. I clearly do not think that all dreams are "just things lived through the day before" I can at least for myself prove that one. I don't think all dreams are the same. I think that is one reason why they are hard to pinpoint. They have many different sources and sometimes those sources intertwine.

hi there. you guys propably already know that i occasionally create weird threads. that'll be another one like that. im not sure though if theres a existing thread for that somewhere. i was searching a bit, didnt find anything though.
i want to write and discuss a bit about dreams. im pretty bad till now when it comes to experiencing spiritual stuff myself, thats why im trying to start with that. we all dream regularly. i usually do not remember every dream im having but from time to time im having one of those really intense ones. those are pretty rare though. they seem more real then the others.
i never had a dream where i realized that im dreaming. my question to all of that is what we can learn of those dreams. i know of lucid dreaming and stuff like that, but that doesnt really solve for me what dreams can tell me. im also not convinced that dreams are just the things i lived through the day before.
any opinion on that? i still vividly remember one of those dreams. it was weeks ago, but i remember quite a few details from it. i usually do not even remember that many details from when im awake, thats why it seems weird to me.

First, I think this forum specializes in weird, so you're in good company.

Second, the title of your thread is what gets people in the door. You should rename this thread "I Dream of Das," or "Double Dream, What Does It Mean?" Put some pizazz in that welcome mat!

Third, my dreams were my favorite part of childhood. I had a rather pathetic and boring day life growing up, but even in elementary school I had some left-field, messed-up, out-there dreams at night, and I still can't tell you what the hell influenced them. Ironically, as I got older, the dreams got less interesting, but I can still remember dreams I had a decade ago. So there may indeed be something to the notion that children are more open to spiritual stuff, but less so as they get older.

I had a brief lucid dream once when I was young. Didn't plan for it, I was in the dream, realized I was dreaming, then panicked, wondering what was happening in the real world. Was I on my stomach, suffocating? Was a roach crawling into my mouth? Shudder.

Second, the title of your thread is what gets people in the door. You should rename this thread "I Dream of Das," or "Double Dream, What Does It Mean?" Put some pizazz in that welcome mat!

Third, my dreams were my favorite part of childhood. I had a rather pathetic and boring day life growing up, but even in elementary school I had some left-field, messed-up, out-there dreams at night, and I still can't tell you what the hell influenced them. Ironically, as I got older, the dreams got less interesting, but I can still remember dreams I had a decade ago. So there may indeed be something to the notion that children are more open to spiritual stuff, but less so as they get older.

I had a brief lucid dream once when I was young. Didn't plan for it, I was in the dream, realized I was dreaming, then panicked, wondering what was happening in the real world. Was I on my stomach, suffocating? Was a roach crawling into my mouth? Shudder.

I never panicked in a lucid dream, I guess perhaps because I've had so many of them and from such an early age that I thought all people knew this. Nobody taught me how to lucid dream I just knew how to do it I guess. I don't know if that makes any sense.

FWIW, I've only had exactly 3 dreams recur, they would be the next dreams in my story, each one recurred once exactly like it was the night before in every single detail. If I get brave I will post in the other forum to get peoples opinion.

im pretty bad till now when it comes to experiencing spiritual stuff myself, thats why im trying to start with that. we all dream regularly. i usually do not remember every dream im having but from time to time im having one of those really intense ones. those are pretty rare though. they seem more real then the others.

I think you are right to try working with dreams but, if you want to have a paranormal experience, I would suggest you keep a dream log because you are likely to find some of your dreams are precognitive:
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2012/04/keeping-dream-log-as-means-of-having.html
Keeping a dream log can help you to have psychic experiences. To keep a dream log, write down any dreams you can remember as soon as you wake up from sleep. In the book An Experiment With Time by J. W. Dunne the author suggests that asking yourself "what was I thinking about and why" as soon as you wake up will help you to remember your dreams. His book describes how he became aware that he had many precognitive dreams once he started keeping a dream log.
J.W. Dunne believed that most people would discover precognitive dreams if they kept a dream log.

I had a dream (or hypnogogic vision) last night. In the dream, I was cooking in the kitchen and I was pouring out grease from a pan and spilled it on myself. This morning as I was pouring out grease from a pan I remembered the dream and was very careful not to spill the grease. Once I had emptied the pan I was placing it back on the stove and the last drop of hot grease fell from the pan onto my other hand and it hurt!

Dean Radin reported that he took a different route to work one day because he dreamed of a car crash, but on the new route he was rear ended.
http://deanradin.blogspot.com/2007/08/precognitive-dream.html

I think you are right to try working with dreams but, if you want to have a paranormal experience, I would suggest you keep a dream log because you are likely to find some of your dreams are precognitive:

J.W. Dunne believed that most people would discover precognitive dreams if they kept a dream log.

I had a dream (or hypnogogic vision) last night. In the dream, I was cooking in the kitchen and I was pouring out grease from a pan and spilled it on myself. This morning as I was pouring out grease from a pan I remembered the dream and was very careful not to spill the grease. Once I had emptied the pan I was placing it back on the stove and the last drop of hot grease fell from the pan onto my other hand and it hurt!

Dean Radin reported that he took a different route to work one day because he dreamed of a car crash, but on the new route he was rear ended.

Oh, an IPD-- ironic precognitive dream

You know what, I feel generous today, so sit back and grab some popcorn, because I have one hell of a dream story.

So, I used to be one to love very hard, I'd fall in love real quick and dig my emotional heels in the ground for a while, so to speak. I always considered myself a lover, not a fighter.

Well, about 4 years ago, I started dating this woman who taught me the true difference between lust, infatuation, and real love. It was one of the most special and intimate times of my life so far, because we went to the same college and she was just this absolutely incredible lady; trilingual, top of her class, musically-gifted, traveled the world-- and there was me, freakin' Schmucky the Clown. Sigh... I loved her very deeply; I could love her into eternity, I'd tell myself.

Anyway, as we started going out, I started having these dreams about her. Not one, or two, or even five dreams, but over 30 dreams! No one before or since has ever been featured in my dreams more than, maybe, twice! And they weren't at all sexual in nature, or Stephen King-lite, the way my dreams normally were. In fact, what made them stand out to me (besides the frequency) was that they were as ordinary as real life memories (though not as intense as memories, Iknew they were dreams). Each time, she and I were the only main characters, and we were just doing everyday stuff, like eating at a restaurant, or walking around downtown, or browsing a museum, or just sitting on the couch having a conversation with each other. Now, I'm not the brightest protostar in the nebula, but these dreams were totally out of their typical character, and very quickly got my attention, and-- this was long before I began to explore my spirituality-- I came to realize that my subconscious was telling me that I could see myself spending the rest of my life with her! She was literally the woman of my dreams.

Kinda glad I didn't tell her about it before she dumped me.

Yeah, you didn't see that coming, did you? Neither did I >:/ So, while I am very sympathetic and supportive of those who believe in an afterlife and spiritual beings and the like, you can understand that I have a major ax to grind against "management."

I'm gonna go look at pictures of puppies now.

Last edited:
I once had a hypnogogic vision of a woman who I had never seen before and I met her the next day. Of course I wondered if it meant something significant would develop ... we became friends but didn't get involved romantically .

Ha! Stephen King light, I wish. I've always had very bizzare, sometimes horrifying dreams. Er, nightmares I guess. They would make the master of horror draw back in revulsion, which is strange because I'm not at all violent. I'm very sensitive to violence and avoid it at all costs. I never watch horror movies because they would cause a mild form of ptsd. No joke. I would have nightmares for a week and my mind would ruminate on the images I'd seen.

Still, even though I avoid them now, I still have some disturbing dreams. I wish I knew why. I also have this really bizarre phobia of brains. I have my entire life. I had to skip out on brain dissection in anatomy lab because I just couldn't handle it. I've often wondered if the two things are related, the nightmares and the phobia. I've even wondered if it had something to do with a past life, though I'm really on the fence about past lives in general.

On a more positive note, I've had a few lucid dreams. And I recall at least two really cool dreams. In one my husband and I were on some sort of alien craft put in deep space which had an observation deck, where we would watch stars collide and/or explode like fire works. In another I was on a different planet, where there were giant ice crystals floating in the sky and there were these tall grasses that looked like they were made out of chrome, but when you touched them they were soft, like grasses here on Earth. Interpret those. Heaven knows I can't.

And sorry for the long post.

I still have some disturbing dreams. I wish I knew why.

I don't know about your case specifically but ... nightmares sometimes can be caused by high levels of stress hormones. If you have anxiety and are awake you worry about all sorts of silly stuff, if you are asleep the same thing happens... and we call it a nightmare. Nightmares are sometimes a symptom of low blood sugar. Low blood sugar can result in high levels of stress hormones because stress hormones cause the body to release sugar into the blood. So, it might not have a psychological or spiritual cause it could be physical. Of course there's no way to tell over the internet.

Well, about 4 years ago, I started dating this woman who taught me the true difference between lust, infatuation, and real love. It was one of the most special and intimate times of my life so far, because we went to the same college and she was just this absolutely incredible lady; trilingual, top of her class, musically-gifted, traveled the world-- and there was me, freakin' Schmucky the Clown. Sigh... I loved her very deeply; I could love her into eternity, I'd tell myself.

Anyway, as we started going out, I started having these dreams about her. Not one, or two, or even five dreams, but over 30 dreams! No one before or since has ever been featured in my dreams more than, maybe, twice! And they weren't at all sexual in nature, or Stephen King-lite, the way my dreams normally were. In fact, what made them stand out to me (besides the frequency) was that they were as ordinary as real life memories (though not as intense as memories, Iknew they were dreams). Each time, she and I were the only main characters, and we were just doing everyday stuff, like eating at a restaurant, or walking around downtown, or browsing a museum, or just sitting on the couch having a conversation with each other. Now, I'm not the brightest protostar in the nebula, but these dreams were totally out of their typical character, and very quickly got my attention, and-- this was long before I began to explore my spirituality-- I came to realize that my subconscious was telling me that I could see myself spending the rest of my life with her! She was literally the woman of my dreams.

About 25 years ago I had (have) a similar relationship. To this day, I continue to occasionally have very realistic and vivid dreams (sometimes lucid) about this girl I had dated so long ago even though I'm currently happily married to someone else and have a family. I've also had many strange experiences involving her reaching out to me ... dare I say ... telepathically in which became a catalyst to explore forums such as this one. Through these dreams and strange (spiritual?) experiences, I'm almost convinced that I have a strong spiritual connection with this person. Some would like to call this relationship "soulmates" or Twin Flames". I'm not sure about that. However, if we are eternal beings and we incarnate from life to life, then I suppose it may be reasonable to believe that close soul connections come back to you from life to life. Many NDErs come back with similar information. I've tried to explore this at many angles (including the logical skeptical angle) but I tend to go back to a more spiritual "New Age" answer even though I sometimes don't want to. Anyway, it seems that most of my vivid and/or lucid dreams involves her with the exception of an occasional short lucid dream that involves flying. And none of these dreams with her are sexual in nature but can be somewhat sensual at times.

Last edited:
@Jim_Smith

Good point. I can't say I've particularly noticed a correlation between high stress times and my nightmares but I've been thinking about keeping a dream journal, so maybe that could help me see the link more clearly if it's there. I tend to be a worry wart, so the theory makes sense. I'd never heard of the low blood sugar link, I'll have to look into that more.

However, the weird brain phobia has been there my entire life and I cannot for the life of me figure that one out.

About 25 years ago I had (have) a similar relationship. To this day, I continue to occasionally have very realistic and vivid dreams (sometimes lucid) about this girl I had dated so long ago even though I'm currently happily married to someone else and have a family. I've also had many strange experiences involving her reaching out to me ... dare I say ... telepathically in which became a catalyst to explore forums such as this one. Through these dreams and strange (spiritual?) experiences, I'm almost convinced that I have a strong spiritual connection with this person. Some would like to call this relationship "soulmates" or Twin Flames". I'm not sure about that. However, if we are eternal beings and we incarnate from life to life, then I suppose it may be reasonable to believe that close soul connections come back to you from life to life. Many NDErs come back with similar information. I've tried to explore this at many angles (including the logical skeptical angle) but I tend to go back to a more spiritual "New Age" answer even though I sometimes don't want to. Anyway, it seems that most of my vivid and/or lucid dreams involves her with the exception of an occasional short lucid dream that involves flying. And none of these dreams with her are sexual in nature but can be somewhat sensual at times.

Keep in mind my dreams are far from normal anyway, but I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I have woken up many, many times with low blood sugars and never had a "nightmare" during one. I don't think this would be the only factor. In my case and its a good thing, low blood sugars wake you up. As long as the blood sugar is above 80, which in a healthy person it should be, I'm not sure how it would cause problems. Now, low blood sugars do make people irritable. Now my not having one may say more about my dreams than it does about low blood sugar causing nightmares, but my dreams are not normal anyway.

There is some really puzzling stuff going on when we sleep... much of the precognitive stuff occurs in dreams... we dream during REM and Non-REM sleep... REM dreams tend to be the full on emotional stuff, whereas non-rem tends to be rather mundane previous day stuff... even animals in hibernation wake up periodically for REM sleep even though it costs energy to do so. D

uring sleep it appears that temperature controls are removed allowing the brain to over-heat, and under-cool during REM and Non-REM sleep respectively, during REM breathing becomes shallow, and the body seems almost deliberately starved of oxygen causing the heart to beat like the clappers, it's consequently during these periods of the night that many people with coronary conditions can die, as the body is often under a great deal of stress. My own telepathic experience happened at night when I was asleep.

I did a slightly longer post about some of these issues on Penny's blog after hearing Dr Sushant Meshram's presentation at the SPR conference in 2013.

I was struck by the similarities with the physiological state during REM Sleep, and cardiac arrest NDE's.

Personally speaking, my belief is that during dreaming, the brain revs-up and revs-down to do something like a 'write' and 'read' operation... Listening/pick-up the strongest sources of past conscious states, then rewriting them for reading/pick-up in the very near future, as a way of processing information, and reinforcing what is important for passing into the future. The brain keeps cycling up and down during the night, to read and write information over time back to itself.

Well, at least I think it's summat like that.... lol...

Thanks for your answers guys

Funny thing that. I was asking a friend, as an opening to a conversation, what he thought of dreams. He gave an elaborate answer, but in essence it was that dreams are a re-running of elements from the previous day(s). After that, I started to describe to him a dream I'd had the previous night, one which puzzled me. And as I began to talk, suddenly I understood. The scene from the dream was being acted out right there and then, in the room we were in.

Now that sounds crazy, so I should add that it wasn't a literal enactment. But if we were to regard it as a theatrical representation, where the characters and events in the dream were symbolic, it was an illustration of a particular quandary I found myself in.

Nether the dream nor the events made much sense on their own, but together it acted as a bright light illuminating my situation, and acting as a kind of guidance. When I say guidance, I mean in the same sense that shining a bright light helps us to see better, not that there was any specific advice given. I prefer not to give any further details of the dream, as my aim isn't to prove anything to anyone, but merely to state one way in which dreams can be interpreted. But there are many varieties of dream, not all of them fit this pattern. I'm also thinking what I've said probably makes no sense to anyone else. :)

So dreams could be completing certain expieriences from us? Sounds intriguing. Makes me wonder though why just a few of those many dreams are working this way. This type of dream may be just working for special situations or something like that where the influence of the other "world" is needed, huh?

I think you read my post in the other forum, if not go check it out. I clearly do not think that all dreams are "just things lived through the day before" I can at least for myself prove that one. I don't think all dreams are the same. I think that is one reason why they are hard to pinpoint. They have many different sources and sometimes those sources intertwine.

Didnt read it till now, but i will. A link would certainly help with that. Otherwise thatll take a while. But thats fine too.

Oh, it really does. Even so, there are several different levels of weird one can achieve and im not using the stairs to get to the ground there.

Meh, im fine if all the floppy people stay out of here. And well, its not only about me here. Im happy to read about your experiences too since i seem to be kind of resistent when it comes to all that "extraordinary" stuff.

I dont know; may be the case for many people out there. I personally dont remember that much from my childhood. Weirdly enough, i dont even have that many normal memories from back then. I just remember that i could always sleep and i always slept well. No nightmares, no memorable dreams either. Rather boring i guess, since you cant really get anything out of that. It did get better though when i became older; especially since im aware that dreams could mean something. Could also just mean that im just finally paying attention to something that was always there. But well, who knows.

A dream log seems like a good idea. Until now i just wrote up those vivid dreams i had. Should do that with the normal ones too. Seems like that would help me the most if i want to research my own dreams.
There is some really puzzling stuff going on when we sleep... much of the precognitive stuff occurs in dreams... we dream during REM and Non-REM sleep... REM dreams tend to be the full on emotional stuff, whereas non-rem tends to be rather mundane previous day stuff... even animals in hibernation wake up periodically for REM sleep even though it costs energy to do so. D

uring sleep it appears that temperature controls are removed allowing the brain to over-heat, and under-cool during REM and Non-REM sleep respectively, during REM breathing becomes shallow, and the body seems almost deliberately starved of oxygen causing the heart to beat like the clappers, it's consequently during these periods of the night that many people with coronary conditions can die, as the body is often under a great deal of stress. My own telepathic experience happened at night when I was asleep.

I did a slightly longer post about some of these issues on Penny's blog after hearing Dr Sushant Meshram's presentation at the SPR conference in 2013.

I was struck by the similarities with the physiological state during REM Sleep, and cardiac arrest NDE's.

Personally speaking, my belief is that during dreaming, the brain revs-up and revs-down to do something like a 'write' and 'read' operation... Listening/pick-up the strongest sources of past conscious states, then rewriting them for reading/pick-up in the very near future, as a way of processing information, and reinforcing what is important for passing into the future. The brain keeps cycling up and down during the night, to read and write information over time back to itself.

Well, at least I think it's summat like that.... lol...

Well yeah, nde's and "REM Sleep" seem to be rather similar, agreed. I The whole physical stuff regarding dreams isweird aswell; im not sure about that, but i think i remember a quote from a dream researcher who said that science is till this date not sure why we are even doing that. Same goes for sleep. There are lots of physical based theories for that out there, but its pretty hard to prove stuff like that, isnt it D:

But what you are actually saying is the theory that we are processing information from the past(-> the day before now), right? Some dreams that i had dont make that much sense if im trying to see it from that angle.

But well, i dont know what to make about a few of those anyways.
Example? okay. ONe of those very vivid dreams that actually shook me up a bit was well...weird. It was a dream about me, waking up in a bad in a rather middle age-like house. After that i went out of that house and i went pretty much on a journey with a blond-haired guy. The whole travelling think was pretty much ordinary. After a while we stopped at a sea with a big wall to keep people from jumping into it. There were lots of people in their beachwear there though. Just when the other guy and me went near the lake a octopus-being appeared out of it and grabbed the other guy. I can vividly remember the red eyes of that thing. Idk why. The being pulled the other guy closer and closer to him until i screamed. I didnt wake up then though. Thats the weird part. The freaking dream did loop. It started again with me, waking up in the very same bed in the very same middle age-house. And i even met the same guy infront of the house. And then i woke up. Im not living near a lake and i actually didnt visit one for many years. All of that just strikes me as weird since i couldnt connect it to anything from my normal life at all.

Thanks for your answers guys

So dreams could be completing certain expieriences from us? Sounds intriguing. Makes me wonder though why just a few of those many dreams are working this way. This type of dream may be just working for special situations or something like that where the influence of the other "world" is needed, huh?

Didnt read it till now, but i will. A link would certainly help with that. Otherwise thatll take a while. But thats fine too.

Oh, it really does. Even so, there are several different levels of weird one can achieve and im not using the stairs to get to the ground there.

Meh, im fine if all the floppy people stay out of here. And well, its not only about me here. Im happy to read about your experiences too since i seem to be kind of resistent when it comes to all that "extraordinary" stuff.

I dont know; may be the case for many people out there. I personally dont remember that much from my childhood. Weirdly enough, i dont even have that many normal memories from back then. I just remember that i could always sleep and i always slept well. No nightmares, no memorable dreams either. Rather boring i guess, since you cant really get anything out of that. It did get better though when i became older; especially since im aware that dreams could mean something. Could also just mean that im just finally paying attention to something that was always there. But well, who knows.

A dream log seems like a good idea. Until now i just wrote up those vivid dreams i had. Should do that with the normal ones too. Seems like that would help me the most if i want to research my own dreams.

Well yeah, nde's and "REM Sleep" seem to be rather similar, agreed. I The whole physical stuff regarding dreams isweird aswell; im not sure about that, but i think i remember a quote from a dream researcher who said that science is till this date not sure why we are even doing that. Same goes for sleep. There are lots of physical based theories for that out there, but its pretty hard to prove stuff like that, isnt it D:

But what you are actually saying is the theory that we are processing information from the past(-> the day before now), right? Some dreams that i had dont make that much sense if im trying to see it from that angle.

But well, i dont know what to make about a few of those anyways.
Example? okay. ONe of those very vivid dreams that actually shook me up a bit was well...weird. It was a dream about me, waking up in a bad in a rather middle age-like house. After that i went out of that house and i went pretty much on a journey with a blond-haired guy. The whole travelling think was pretty much ordinary. After a while we stopped at a sea with a big wall to keep people from jumping into it. There were lots of people in their beachwear there though. Just when the other guy and me went near the lake a octopus-being appeared out of it and grabbed the other guy. I can vividly remember the red eyes of that thing. Idk why. The being pulled the other guy closer and closer to him until i screamed. I didnt wake up then though. Thats the weird part. The freaking dream did loop. It started again with me, waking up in the very same bed in the very same middle age-house. And i even met the same guy infront of the house. And then i woke up. Im not living near a lake and i actually didnt visit one for many years. All of that just strikes me as weird since i couldnt connect it to anything from my normal life at all.

here is a link to help you out

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/it-was-only-a-dream-right.1548/

and thanks in advance for reading it. Again there is more to the story and to connect with the comments from above. I was diagnosed an insulin dependent diabetic when I was 20 just before my 21st birthday and almost 3 years after the events in the post. The dreams continue long after my diagnoses though.

here is a link to help you out

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/it-was-only-a-dream-right.1548/

and thanks in advance for reading it. Again there is more to the story and to connect with the comments from above. I was diagnosed an insulin dependent diabetic when I was 20 just before my 21st birthday and almost 3 years after the events in the post. The dreams continue long after my diagnoses though.

I doubt that your experience is related to you being a diabetic. I wouldnt dare to say that i understand your experience since i obviously cant, but i propably would have been scared. Something happened there and the only one who could tell you what it was is yourself or the other entity that you did meet. Seems also amazing to me how your dreams are still so frequently.
Btw, that may sound stupid, but i think you really should cherish those experiences. If they appear so often and with such intensity they propably got a great meaning for you. And im not talking about you as in your physical body.

Back