Everyone can breathe easy...

@Ian Gordon Why did you like Red's comment in the Sandy Hook thread?
I don't remember. I was goin' on a feelin' probably.

... Just seen the new Star Wars movie. It's actually alright.
malf, I heard somebody on the radio say he thought it was better than the original series. I can't even begin to believe that.

What do you give it? 7/10? Like Jedi?

I'm expecting it to just suck a little.

---

Justin Trudeau, 11, reviews Return of the Jedi after Ottawa premiere in 1983. What a dork. :D

Last edited:
I almost need to watch it again... I took my boy (11) and half way through I realised I was so tense through my nervousness that it was going to suck. Sat back and really enjoyed the 2nd half. And had wet eyes twice :)

The lad loved it too.

8/10 (it's basically A New Hope redux)

What did you think?

I thought I was going to see a development of the Star Wars story, so as it unfolded and I realised it was just a rehash of the original movie I became both disappointed and a little distracted. Had I known it was just a rehash I probably wouldn't have bothered going to see it. I only gave it 6/10.

About the only critic on rotten tomatoes who I think gave it an honest review...

http://rogersmovienation.com/2015/12/16/movie-review-star-wars-redux-aka-the-force-awakens/

I thought that 8.8 rating on IMDB was just baloney... Just look at the reviews on IMDB for a more realistic polarised reaction.

I understand where that review is coming from but maybe... just maybe... we look at the original trilogy through rose tinted glasses and take it all a bit too seriously. The prepubescent me loved the old movies but having looked at them again they are.. ahem... "not without problems". They were big old fashioned movies for kids (boys?).

Times have changed... Perhaps "The Force Awakens" is a movie for today's mass audience, but there's still a huge amount to like in it. I went again last night, this time in a big group and in 3D. Everyone came out buzzing with big smiles on their faces. Several of the group were not at all fans of "The Franchise" but had got pulled into the fantasy like never before.

And remember, they could have really fucked it up again. :)

I don't get why people are ball-washing this movie; I didn't think I'd see the day when rotten tomatoes would give J.J. Abrams a 94% rating for remaking episode IV with less white dudes.

The plot was a mess, though, and I'm not into Twilight Vader.

He could freeze a laser blast in mid air but couldn't beat a trash collector and her sanitation clone? They had picked up light sabers for the first time like a day before fighting him.

I understand where that review is coming from but maybe... just maybe... we look at the original trilogy through rose tinted glasses and take it all a bit too seriously. The prepubescent me loved the old movies but having looked at them again they are.. ahem... "not without problems". They were big old fashioned movies for kids (boys?).

Times have changed... Perhaps "The Force Awakens" is a movie for today's mass audience, but there's still a huge amount to like in it. I went again last night, this time in a big group and in 3D. Everyone came out buzzing with big smiles on their faces. Several of the group were not at all fans of "The Franchise" but had got pulled into the fantasy like never before.

And remember, they could have really fucked it up again. :)

Yeah I've seen it three times. I mean it's a fun watch. If you get into the details of almost any fantasy or sci-fi movie I feel things will break down quickly. (Or possibly any movie.)

Just take a look at those "Honest Trailers" on Youtube. They manage to take the piss out of a lot of movies.

From Matty Granger:

AT LONG LAST…MY “STAR WARS: EPISODE VII” REVIEW. THE FORCE AWAKENS & THE RISE OF IDIOT JOURNALISM.

Goes into that long list of supposed plot holes circulating and points out where it missed things that actually are explained in the movie. I especially liked this line:

I don’t know about the rest of you but I’ve grown exhausted with the horseshit, hater culture that online, millennial ‘journalists’ use to click-bait their way to some sort of self-perceived intellectual high ground. Hate first. Don’t bother asking questions later.

After all the thought and effort I put into prepping my review, the Huffington Post article had somehow stunted my ability to write about the new “Star Wars” movie. But I refused to be deterred. Thus, this article is not intended to review “The Force Awakens”. It’s intended to rip the head off the Huffington Post’s dumb-ass review and shit down its still-gasping esophagus.

p.s. Make sure you read the last part.

Last edited by a moderator:
More pieces of my youth keep going away...

PS- I hope that this doesn't delay the next film, now that they finally got an academy award winning actor to play the villain.

Back