Excellent UFO Documentary -- The Mirage Men

IMO the film (and the book) is disinfo at its best.

Although Doty claims the Bennewitz affair was disinformation, he also claims he was briefed on UFOs when he joined AFOSI. He says the briefing stated, among other things, “[Roswell] was real. We had an alien. It was in captivity up until 1951. He was kept at Kirtland and he was kept at Los Alamos. He died in the later part of 1951.” Doty also claims the alien liked strawberry ice cream and Tibetan music

http://www.openminds.tv/open-letter-u-s-air-force-allegations-ufo-disinformation/27071

It was an interesting one. I wasn't really surprised that these kind of activities was going on in the UFO-community. I can understand why so many who are deep into the research of this subject become paranoid and feel psychological strain. By being led and tricked with lots of promising leads that eventually comes to an dead-end - or become contradictory to earlier received info that also looks just as genuine as this new info - I bet can be taxing.

Doley's (or what his name was) last piece of info he came forward with, at the end of the film, is just aggravating. Was he being honest there, or was it just another lie?? ;)

Last edited:
What do UFOs have to do with extraterrestrials again? I always forget.
Good question. If we want to go way out on a limb we can consider the idea that people in the OBE or remote viewing state claim to experience other civilizations when "visiting" other planets, even within our solar system. Since we don't really understand anything about the true nature of space and time, it could be that planets act as a kind of nexus for embodied consciousness. What we may see as a lifeless planet may be quite different when experienced in "another dimension." So that interplanetary and extra dimensional travel might be synonymous in some ways. Not saying this is the case, but I suppose in some ways it works on a metaphorical level.

Good question. If we want to go way out on a limb we can consider the idea that people in the OBE or remote viewing state claim to experience other civilizations when "visiting" other planets, even within our solar system. Since we don't really understand anything about the true nature of space and time, it could be that planets act as a kind of nexus for embodied consciousness. What we may see as a lifeless planet may be quite different when experienced in "another dimension." So that interplanetary and extra dimensional travel might be synonymous in some ways. Not saying this is the case, but I suppose in some ways it works on a metaphorical level.

Yeah, like Ray Bradbury's Chronicles, where the man on Mars meets a Martian, and the Martian points to a nearby valley where a lively festival is being thrown, but all the man sees is ancient, crumbling ruins.

It treats Doty's current version of events as being mostly factual. It subtly hints that anything to do with ETC is just a cover story advanced by the US government.

BTW are you really new to Skeptiko or do you also post with another account?

What do UFOs have to do with extraterrestrials again? I always forget.

Reactions: Red
It treats Doty's current version of events as being mostly factual. It subtly hints that anything to do with ETC is just a cover story advanced by the US government.
Everyone will likely get something different from the film.

I took away from the movie the feeling not that Doty can't be believed at all, but that I need to be highly skeptical of anything he says. The filmmaker states at one point that they firmly believe in extra-terrerstrial contact. I don't think the point of the film was to present an argument to support that idea though. I think the focus of the film was narrower. And I think that they did a pretty good job with that in my eyes.

People who aren't that familiar with the UFO world may not be aware of the characters or the relationships between them. I thought the film would serve some folks well provided they maintained a healthy skepticism.

BTW are you really new to Skeptiko or do you also post with another account?
This is a new account for me, but I'm not new here. I was using a throw away for the last couple weeks and thought I should probably create an ID I could settle down with until the next meltdown.

Back