First comprehensive academic survey of alien contact experience. Please continue to ignore|308|

Discussion in 'Skeptiko Shows' started by Alex, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

I agree that Greer is a really strange character and I'm not advocating him or dismissing him. I do appreciate his work with the disclosure project and documenting military whistle blowers, I find it interesting. As far a CE5, the thing that caught my attention was the fact that you could just do it by yourself, just read about it and try it. So I did... which is the story Im sharing. That doesn't mean I'm advocating for him, I just have what I got... Try A and you will get B and thats what happened. He just happens to be the guy I got it from. As far a him being a "cult"? I don't really think about it that way. I don't attach myself to him or hold him up in any other way than a normal man that said "here try this". I am definitely not trying to hold him up like he is some spiritual guru or whatever.

As as doing it on your own, you really don't need anything. There are somethings you can use, but it all comes down to meditation and intent basically. There is no "privileged information" (lol) nor do you need to go anywhere special. You can do it in the room you are sitting in right now.

If you would like I can share a good youtube channel a guy out of New York put together. He has made allot videos about the subject and a few instructional ones. I bet you could message him through the channel if you had any questions. I will be happy to share the link if you ask. I don't want to seem like I'm hijacking anything and promoting a "cult".

Also.. Let me say this about my experience with this whole thing... It is weird. Your going to read about the process and probably be like "WTF is this craziness!?" because thats exactly what I did. The main thing I did, is I decided I will suspend my bias and prejudice in order to give the process a fair shake. So I mustered up everything I had to just "pretend" and accept that I am trying to communicate with another intelligent being (WHAT EVER THAT MEANS) and treat it as such.

manjit likes this.
  2. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

Its all good :) I apologize if I made it seem like you were doing any name calling, that wasn't my intent. I appreciate your feedback and agree that your suggestions are completely valid.

3. Alan Amsberg

Alan Amsberg New

Tater Tot, thank you for your interesting post - both the experiments and UFO sightings. I feel your fascination with the UFO topic and I think 7 years ago I might have gone in for performing a similar experiment myself. That said, I think there is a more parsimonious explanation for your experience though my explanation will be viewed by many as just as weird. First, let me say that UFOs were how I got into all this but you quickly find in all this stuff that it just goes deeper and into other related paranormal topics.

It is my opinion:
    -If you look into this stuff long enough you accept the existence of a "spirit world" and you accept that certain "mediums" can gain information (or are given information) from this "spirit world".
    -I have recently become convinced by a book called The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts that we should be very wary of all of this and also convinced that there are malicious / mischievous spirits over there too. For convenience sake I will call these "demons". This is a loaded word but I can't think of any better one. Most importantly, I am wondering if the vast majority of spirits contacted by mediums / channellers etc are, in fact, "demons"
    -Most importantly, whether or not these "demons" can "hassle" you depends greatly on whether you invite them in. I think you may have invited them in. I also wonder if I have done the same at various times in my life (long story).

So, to me this makes much more sense than "CE5".

Of course, there are many profound unanswered questions:
    -Is there some kind of relationship between "demons" and UFOs?
    -How can you tell if a spirit really is grandma letting you know she is OK or is, instead, a "demon"?
    -What can "demons" do and not do?

By the way, I don't think this is something to get too alarmed about. That said, I won't be repeating the "invitations" I made and I would be wary about continuing your experiments if I were you.

Laird and hypermagda like this.
  4. hypermagda

hypermagda Member

I actually think Alan has a point, especially when I'm confronted with creepy synchronicities such as the one I've just experienced - I happen to have just watched this new video by a band called 'Massive Attack' , just an hour after reading Tater Tot's description of his encounter with a strange "UFO balloon" (post #34 in this thread). Frankly it's sent shivers down my spine....

5. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

Indeed, including Jesus:
    David

Alan Amsberg and Hurmanetar like this.
  6. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

Thank you for your input. I definitely don't dismiss what you are saying. It makes sense to me that if there are other intelligent beings from some other type of realm we should expect a variety of characters. All I can say is that my experiences have basically been positive, aside from the social stigma. But that doesn't mean I don't dismiss the possibility. Although I'm personally not a fan of the word demon.

Its basically like this for me. I have no idea what so ever "who" or "what" it is. Nor is there any way for me to tell if its alien, demon, or anything. I metaphor I use to help myself understand is this... Its like standing on the edge a giant canyon at night and in the moonlight you can see there is a cavern. For whatever reason you decide to flash your flashlight 3 times and after you finish, you receive three flashes back. Its a safe bet that something is communicating back to you. Now what is that something??? No way to tell because its dark and across a vast canyon.

So I pretty much boil it down to this.

#1 There is some sort of technology that exists that operates beyond the means that we are currently capable of. Which could possibly mean that there is another type of energy source/advanced physics that we have yet to know about. Who is operating this technology? Who knows..

#2 Something flashed its light back at me from across the canyon. Again.. Its to dark to know who or what it is. ET is just a label

#3 Consciousness isn't just an illusion thats produced by the brain, it goes out "there" somehow, interacts with something else, and It somehow comes back and interacts with me. Which raises a TON of questions and indicates there is something more to this whole picture. Consciousness seems like it is universal and fundamental in some way.

Thats basically it.
    I can't conclude anything but that.

Roberta, Alan Amsberg and hypermagda like this.
  7. AltrusianGrace

AltrusianGrace Member

Home Page:
    No aside from Greer, I'm intrigued by your experiments. It just wasn't sitting right with me when I heard his guided meditation on your video.

My current interest is psychedelics and UFOS, as I had an LSD experience years ago related to a sighting and feel there's a connection. I was actually contemplating establishing my own protocols and working in different mediums such as float tanks (which I begin in just over a week), taking psilocybin, meditations, and maybe even try holotropic breathing- though all of these would be separated endeavors it would be for the purpose of initiating UFO sightings and/or contact. I'm the crackpot here. My current heroes are John Lilly and Robert Anton Wilson so go figure.

Side note:
    I also recommend The Messengers by Mike Clelland. A bunch of synchronicities with owls and certain number sequences have emerged since exploring this. Crazy stuff....

8. Alex

Alex New

wow... I know this is just a small detail, but it's so, so interesting. what does this mean!?

Hurmanetar likes this.
  9. Alex

Alex New

I think this is an awesome idea. Skeptiko hasn't been involved in these experiments/demonstrations for a while, but I'd definitely be open to exploring this further. gtg right now... more later.

manjit likes this.
  10. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

I definitely don't think your a crack pot. I think the lsd/mushroom/dmt aspect should be 100% be considered. In my humble opinion, whatever I have experienced ties into the subject. Whatever it is, its all about consciousness, that means of communication, its the whole takeaway basically. If psychedelics "reduce the filter" in a way, it could enable people to tap into whatever it is thats being tapped.

Regardless of Greer, people have been reporting some sort of consciousness link with other beings for a long long time. He definitely isn't the originator of this idea. He just happened to be the means that I learned about this concept.

Love Mike Clelland. I listen to his podcast a bunch (although he hasn't done it in a while) but haven't read the book. It keeps popping up on my radar, so maybe I will have to give it a go.

Appreciate your feedback :)

11. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

Man your guess is as good as mine. I was flabbergasted and pretty much lost confidence right away. Maybe because of a lack of an answer he decided to just throw one in there?? Who knows..

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  12. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

I'm all ears :)

13. Hurmanetar

Hurmanetar New

Home Page:
    Hi Tater Tot (love the name :) welcome to the forum). I enjoyed reading your experiences. I definitely think SOMEthing is going on that is very interesting and that there are no mundane explanations for it.

However, having been pretty deep into digital photography in the past, I'm afraid I don't find the "flashbulbs" very exciting. They look to me like hot pixels or noise that momentarily escape the noise reduction software as it is filtering out the noise from the image. In a dark room, the camera boosts the signal (film equivalent to ISO) which greatly boosts the noise... Especially from the very tiny sensor on a cell phone camera. With a black image there is less for the noise reduction software to evaluate to see where to set the filter threshold. A hot pixel is one that gets temporarily or permanently stuck "on". Hot pixels can also be a sign of radiation hitting the sensor (but you're not looking at Uranium so that's unlikely!) As the camera sensor heats up, sometimes this adds to the problem of hot pixels. The camera software memorizes where these hot pixels are on the sensor and covers them up, but as I said, the software can have a hard time when there is zero contrast.

I have watched a handful of Greer's videos and I can't make it through any of them. The creep factor is very high. He seems to employ some...techniques...in his sermons/speeches that make me almost certain he is a disinformation agent. It's been a while so I can't recall many of them at the moment except for speaking a lot while saying very little.

Anyway, hope this is not too much criticism! I look forward to reading more posts from you. :)

14. Alex

Alex New

totally hear you on all of this, but what then are we to do. I mean, take the demon thing as it relates to Christianty, there are a lot of people that will go on and on about the devil, and demons, and come at it from a fear-based Biblical perspective. of course, there's no let up when you point of the known problems with the Bible, they just turn it around and say, "yeah, but look at all this evil." This seems like weak reasoning... it's just fear. And take this one step further -- what about after-death communication... demonic? telepathy... demonic? psychedelic experiences... demonic? or, let's get really scared of the demonic thing and jump over to the other side (as science does [and even many parapsychologists do]) and jam it all into a materialistic worldview.

and while I'm at it, I never quite got the "inviting in" thing. I mean, if I'm summon demons by name with ancient incantations that's one thing, but I'm not willing to believe that all contact with extended consciousness is an invitation to walk on the dark side.

15. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

Its definitely not to much criticism. I appreciate your feedback.

I have looked at Hot Pixels before, and yes some images definitely look similar, but I don't know if that will quite explains it.
    These things don't get stuck at all. They are literally a flash of light (at least it appears that way) that happen one or two times throughout a 30 minute video. They come in different shapes, some just little pinprick flashes, and others are what I call "the eyes" , (please check out experiment #5 in my video, this would be the strangest one, odd shape and color) and they come in different colors, white, blue, red, and even Neon Aqua Blue and Neon purple (I've never seen a picture of a hot pixel with the vibrant of a color). Plus the fact that they happen at different quadrants of the screen, but never repeat in the same spot. Plus they never occur when I used the cameras normally. (minus the two control videos). Of course I could be wrong, I'm open to that.

"
    3) Hot Pixels
    Unlike stuck pixels, hot pixels only show up when the camera sensor gets hot during long exposures or when the ISO is cranked up above 400-800. Hot pixels are very normal and they will show up even on brand new cameras, although manufacturers do their best to map hot pixels out during the QA process. Hot pixels will appear and disappear overtime and if your brand new camera does not have stuck pixels, you can rest assured that you will have them at some point in the future. Every single DSLR camera I have owned and/or used had hot pixels. My Nikon D3s had no visible hot pixels when it was new and now has plenty of hot pixels that are visible in longer exposure/high ISO images. Hot pixels do not occur in LCD screens.

How to spot hot pixels: while keeping the lens cap on, set your camera to Manual mode, turn off Auto ISO and set your ISO to 100 (base ISO). Set camera shutter speed to 5-10 seconds and aperture to a large value like f/16 (to decrease the amount of ambient light that could potentially enter the lens through small holes). Take a picture. Next, set your ISO to 800 and increase the shutter speed to something fast like 1/1000 while keeping the aperture the same. Take another picture. Analyze both images and see if you can spot colored pixels that look like very small crosses when zoomed in. You will probably see more hot pixels in the second photo at higher ISO than on the first one." - https://photographylife.com/dead-vs-stuck-vs-hot-pixels

It seems that the process to locate these things in images requires allot more effort than a meditation?

Here is another link http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/hot-pixels/index.htm

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Hurmanetar likes this.
  16. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

OH.. And also.. Thank you for the welcoming me to the group :)

Hurmanetar likes this.
  17. Alex

Alex New

I think the first step is to move this to a new thread and invite some folks over to kick around some ideas. there are a lot of really smart people on this forum... many will have a better handle on this than I.

The next step (as you did a nice job of identifying) is to establish a good baseline/control. I was a little surprised when you mentioned that you noticed flashes in your control group. I would think we'd want to create a situation where there are no (or virtually no) false positives.

once a good protocol is established we can re-run a few tests through you and see if we continue to get positive results. if so, we can do a skeptiko episode about it and invite others. I think it will roll down hill nicely if you're/we're about to show positive initial results. as far as attracting "serious researchers," forget it... I doubt it will ever happen. on the other hand, we could accomplish a lot by doing good work and sharing it in this way.

18. Hurmanetar

Hurmanetar New

Home Page:
    It is possible that the the hot pixel or stuck pixel is there the whole time but the noise cancelling and edge sharpening software covers it up through an algorithm that works on evaluating the values of the pixels around it. The camera software has to decide if the hot pixel is an image feature that needs sharpening (increasing local contrast) or whether it is noise that needs to be blurred and averaged out with the surrounding pixel values. That's why I say when there is no contrast (flat black) it has little comparisons to make so it might periodically play with the threshold value or other values trying to get the best noise cancelling / sharpening threshold for the picture. During that period when it is "re-evaluating" the standards it is using for noise cancelling or sharpening it might temporarily uncover the hot pixel and then cover it back up. I don't know for sure because I worked with still shots and Photoshop rather than movies, but a lot of the principles carry over, and yes the link you provided was an excellent explanation.

I have done some night photography before with long exposures of the sky on a Nikon D80. When looking at the raw image the noise and hot pixels were awful! The hot pixels were in all different colors. I could turn all the hot pixels white by turning up the color noise cancelling feature.

Another problem with my night shots was that the CCD sensor got really hot after being on for a few minutes causing whispy magenta discoloration in places... especially around the edges and corners.

Whether this is the actual explanation for the "eyes" in experiment 5, I can't say for sure, but I would still lean towards it being an artifact of the image processing. Digital cameras don't work very well in complete dark and the flat black background will make it very easy for any artifact in the image capture or processing to show up.

There's probably dozens of hot pixels that the software is covering up most of the time. My Nikon D80 had dozens and got more as it got older. Photoshop has a feature that will memorize where the hot pixels and dust on the sensor are and then automatically cover that up. I'm sure cell cameras have this automated as well.

So it is probably just that a different hot pixel escaped the noise cancelling software on different occasions.

If these are hot pixels being temporarily revealed, I would think they should occur at a random but fairly average rate (as long as the light conditions remain constant). You could record several hours of (control) video and count the hot pixels (very tedious!) and determine the rate at which they are appearing. Then do the experiments and see if the rate of occurrence is statistically significantly different (determine the average and standard deviation). This would take a lot of time especially if the rate is very low, but I think it would be the only reliable way in this case to tell if something interesting or mundane is happening here.

Also, you could gather as many screenshots of the flashes and overlay them on top of each other and see if any are in the exact same location. That to me would be solid proof it is a hot pixel... (why would aliens pick on just one pixel??? :) )

Tater Tot likes this.
  19. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Member

Ok.. That sounds good to me. I'm about to have some company in tonight, but I will start another thread hopefully tomorrow.

As far as flashes in my control group, I'm not sure exactly how to explain it. I assume if we are dealing with another intelligence that we can't exactly predict how they will react or do. I remember "thinking" in my mind about "them" at the time I was rolling some of control footage, and maybe that had an effect? Maybe they are messing with me (haha)? or maybe just a glitch? I'm not sure. Something to be considered I guess.

I agree we wouldn't want any false positives, but I definitely can't guarantee anything. Like I said, if it is "they" we are dealing with, then who knows how or what they think about this. I imagine if they could "flash" when I ask them, they could do it whenever they want?

20. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

I am sure that the standard view of mental illness - that the brain is mis-firing rather like a broken computer - is utterly wrong, and that the experiences people have are very relevant to understanding consciousness. Maybe you will decide to elaborate on your comment.

David

Alex likes this.