Flat Earth (Serious discussion. Please, no mocking)

I believe the following...

• Total voters
This is a very interesting interview and skepticism at its finest. If you don't feel like listening to it, but would still like to participate in this discussion, that's fine. It doesn't matter. If you think you have evidence of the earth being spherical, you're probably mistaken. I've become a fairly educated student of this issue and will most likely be capable of explaining why you're mistaken (and why you're stupid, also):

This is a picture:

Flat_earth.png

Why does the Earth look flat when people send ballons high up into the atmosphere? Never does there appear any curvature. Should we not be able to see that the earth is round from 100,000+ km (or whatever) up? Anyone?

Reactions: tim
The curvature was pretty obvious when taking a Concorde flight...

Well it's not at all obvious when viewing footage from balloons that have traveled much higher than that thing flew. Do you have any photographs from the flight that we could look at?

But thank you for your contribution, however insignificant it is.

Well it's not at all obvious when viewing footage from balloons that have traveled much higher than that thing flew. Do you have any photographs from the flight that we could look at?

But thank you for your contribution, however insignificant it is.

Old IC photos, but most likely nothing that would satisfy your refined senses.

E.Flowers just wanted to show off that he's flown on a Concorde. Pretty sad.

Oh, those additional 10k miles made a lot of difference... For a lot of things.

It's difficult to know where to begin. If you don't believe in astronauts, what about Antarctic explorers? Wouldn't they have noticed if all the east-to-west distances were about ten times bigger than they were supposed to be?

It's difficult to know where to begin. If you don't believe in astronauts, what about Antarctic explorers? Wouldn't they have noticed if all the east-to-west distances were about ten times bigger than they were supposed to be?

No explorer has ever traversed the South Pole. And in regards to your second question, I have no idea. Why don't you find one and ask? Idiot.

Oh. I'm not sure why, but I was expecting you to have some ingenious answer to that. Or at least something funny, if you couldn't think of anything clever. Otherwise what's the point of the thread?

My answer is "The Earth is probably a shape not listed above" (approximately an oblate spheroid). I suppose that's what most people think.

Back