Girl with X ray Eyes ( Natasha Demkina )

Wasn't it done for a TV show?

Pat

Yes, the project was originally conceived by the Discovery Channel to investigate the abilities of Demkina. The producers reached out to the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry, unaware of their dubious history. CSI agreed and it's my understanding that they asked for no compensation, which would have made them very appealing to the producers. Real psi researchers would have expected their expenses to be covered, assuming they even had time for it.

The list of skeptics involved was basically a who's who of media skeptics, none of which had much experience in psi research. Hyman has limited himself to critiques and Wiseman was probably the closest but he has a long and rather sketchy history of sloppy, obviously biased work. There was no way that group of them were ever going to put together a solid experiment.

For example, in the absence of psi, an experiment which allows for any one of three outcome measure to serve as the outcome of interest will produce 'significant' results more often than 'chance'.

Eh?

This may sound gross, but my dog finds pretty well all lesions on my body particularly tasty - and regularly draws my attention to them as she gives them a good lick! Joking aside I think she's actually trying to clean them.
So if your dog was able to spot skin cancer, and found one on you, he would be unable to warn you of the fact!

David

Back