Greg Boyd & Open Theism

perandre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_theism

I think theologian Greg Boyd contributes to the discussion on free will in a very real way. Some other interesting aspects of this anti violence vegetarian:

His book on imaginative prayer: Seeing is believing
His book on spiritual mindfulness: Present perfect
Spiritual warfare is real
Violence is always wrong
Etc

His podcasts has been a huge inspiration for me; I encourage anyone tired of the evangelical Christian right (but still interested in practical spirituality) to dig into his teachings.

I have a very simple argument for this position. God can only know that which is possible to know. Only that which exists can be known. The future does not yet exist. Since the future does not exist niether do choices not yet made. Thus God cannot know the future.

Greg would still argue that God knows the possibilities of the future, though. But yes, I think I might agree that the future doesn't exist, but sometimes certain future possibilities can be foreseen even by humans.

Greg would still argue that God knows the possibilities of the future, though. But yes, I think I might agree that the future doesn't exist, but sometimes certain future possibilities can be foreseen even by humans.

Good stuff - I think, or at least hope, that those seeing the future see the highest probable events rather than a set destiny.

Back