Harry Martindale / Roman Soldiers York

Max_B

This is a youtube video from 2012, which is pretty much the same version of the talk given by the National Trust guide at Treasurers House, as I had a couple of weeks ago...

I really enjoy discussing Harry's experience, it's one of the most interesting ghost stories I know of, together with the similar experiences of the house keeper who saw the ghosts on their last appearance in 1957, which was the last time the floor of the cellar was excavated to expose the Roman road. All 5 sightings of Roman soldiers in the cellar coincide with the exposure of the Roman road beneath the cellar floor by archeological teams.

Brian Josephson goes on about matter having consciousness, and others about the stone tape theory, but that doesn't account for the other sightings of the Roman soldier presented.

I think the Stone Tape theory is a pretty weak theory. Firstly because I dont understand their reasoning about it. What are the mechanisms, how could stone "record", store, and "replay" scenarios from ancient times? I know that some speculate around the quartz, and it's ability to receive radio signals passively, like a Crystal Radio. But that is just for the sound. How imagery of some kind could appear, in the way they propose, is pretty far fetched. Also, the stonetape-theory doesn't account for residual sightings of ghosts on boats, where quartz, and stone in general, are nowhere near.

But alternative theories isn't easier to rationalize. But even if it would be a "glitch in the matrix" and linear time crossed with a dimension of non-linear time for a brief moment, one wonders why just snippets comes through, showing persons, and not the surrounding environment?

But, these sightings are pretty fascinating and interesting, regardless if they are triggered by stonetape-theory, or crossing timelines/dimensions.

I think the Stone Tape theory is a pretty weak theory. Firstly because I dont understand their reasoning about it. What are the mechanisms, how could stone "record", store, and "replay" scenarios from ancient times? I know that some speculate around the quartz, and it's ability to receive radio signals passively, like a Crystal Radio. But that is just for the sound. How imagery of some kind could appear, in the way they propose, is pretty far fetched. Also, the stonetape-theory doesn't account for residual sightings of ghosts on boats, where quartz, and stone in general, are nowhere near.

But alternative theories isn't easier to rationalize. But even if it would be a "glitch in the matrix" and linear time crossed with a dimension of non-linear time for a brief moment, one wonders why just snippets comes through, showing persons, and not the surrounding environment?

But, these sightings are pretty fascinating and interesting, regardless if they are triggered by stonetape-theory, or crossing timelines/dimensions.

Personally speaking I think these types of haunting phenomena are to do with temporal and spatial patterns of matter, which set up a correlated state in a persons brain, combined with strongly emotional experiences by somebody in the past, which are also associated with the same temporal spatial patterns of matter.

These would be temporal spatial experiences from the past that are emotional, because they are coherent with lots of similar experiences throughout time, and therefore get a lot of temporal processing (processed over a lot of time).

Basically with these types of haunting, I think you're seeing what somebody else saw in the past. Which is a similar (but rather different) process as I think occurs during the verifiable NDE OBE, where you also experience what one or more compatible people are experiencing.

I think that this stuff is going on all the time, it's just that we notice discontinuities in time, because they are immediately out of place.

When lots of people experience a spatial pattern of matter (say... a unique pattern of stones on a road), different experiences which are associated with that pattern, sort of get smeared, and we get an average of these experiences, combined with our own... and everything is rather mundane and normal...

...but if old spatial patterns of matter which are dormant, are uncovered, the averaged 'smeared' experiences that didn't use a lot of temporal processing have fallen away over time... Leaving only the strong experiences exposed... and they are consequently far less smeared.

I think that's the reason why strong inital effects in studies investigating anomalous phenomena fall away over time... as they are repeated...

I also think that's the reason why societies decline, as they get trapped in old mind sets because of unchanging patterns of matter.. Architecture and planning laws would be a good example of one of the factors causing this sort of effect.

Yeah, stone tape stuff doesn't really cut it. I think Josephson is on the right basic track...this isn't a "recording" in the environment, this *is* the environment...in other words, the environment is conscious and in some sense nontemporal.

But I also think it's about cultural remembering. This is what is missing in any simple form of "trauma" notion. Traumas are abundant. Ghosts are not. These seem to relate to more obscure historical traumas that are somehow at risk of being forgotten. The fact that this may have been the "lost legion" speaks volumes to this. As does the renovation Martindale was doing on the building. I also think there is a clear level of agency involved in this "environmental consciousness" in the bringing of these episodes before the witness. I don't think they just "stumble" upon them...certainly a number of pre-requisities seem to need meeting, but still...an additional factor is involved.

Back