Hawking Dead

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Number 22, Mar 13, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

1. Number 22

Number 22 Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Today when I opened the computer, I found this news on bbc, I shocked to the point.
    I'm a fan of this guy, though I do not like his arguments about the afterlife and the brain.
    This make me feel sad.
    tarantulanebula likes this.
  2. gabriel

gabriel New

Dec 19, 2013
    I hold no strong feelings about Hawking, but his eulogists read like a Who's Who of the smug and self regarding. I see Richard Dawkins described him as a "great mind". Presumably he meant great brain? Watch out for star dust analogies, which seems to be the metaphor of choice for materialists faced with the meaningless and finality they demand of existence.
  3. I once attended a lecture about black holes Hawking gave at a local university. He used a computer voice synthesis system to produce speech. What I like best about Hawking is that he proved the medical "experts" wrong when he failed to die of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) at 25 years of age. I don't begrudge his belief in materialism. I think he has probably revised his views about that now.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018 at 4:55 AM
    tarantulanebula, Number 22 and Obiwan like this.
  4. tarantulanebula

tarantulanebula New

May 23, 2015
    Hello original poster, I find your sentence:

This make me feel sad.

I'm an English language learner with no formal education, so I'm sensitive about learning English grammar. Do you mind if I want to know why this sentence is not written as "This makes me feel sad."?

Does that mean "this" can sometimes be used as a plural noun? Or perhaps it is a subjunctive mood?

If it is only a trivial forgotten to add "s" then I know I won't need to refresh my English grammar knowledge. But if it is a grammatically viable sentence then I lack knowledge of some grammar structure.