Hawking Dead

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Number 22, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Number 22

Number 22 Member

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-43396008
    Today when I opened the computer, I found this news on bbc, I shocked to the point.
    I'm a fan of this guy, though I do not like his arguments about the afterlife and the brain.
    This make me feel sad.

tarantulanebula likes this.
  2. gabriel

gabriel New

I hold no strong feelings about Hawking, but his eulogists read like a Who's Who of the smug and self regarding. I see Richard Dawkins described him as a "great mind". Presumably he meant great brain? Watch out for star dust analogies, which seems to be the metaphor of choice for materialists faced with the meaningless and finality they demand of existence.

3. I once attended a lecture about black holes Hawking gave at a local university. He used a computer voice synthesis system to produce speech. What I like best about Hawking is that he proved the medical "experts" wrong when he failed to die of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) at 25 years of age. I don't begrudge his belief in materialism. I think he has probably revised his views about that now.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. tarantulanebula

tarantulanebula New

Hello original poster, I find your sentence:

This make me feel sad.

I'm an English language learner with no formal education, so I'm sensitive about learning English grammar. Do you mind if I want to know why this sentence is not written as "This makes me feel sad."?

Does that mean "this" can sometimes be used as a plural noun? Or perhaps it is a subjunctive mood?

If it is only a trivial forgotten to add "s" then I know I won't need to refresh my English grammar knowledge. But if it is a grammatically viable sentence then I lack knowledge of some grammar structure.

5. Laird

Laird Member

I'd guess it's either that or it's just a minor mistake the OP made due to English not being his native language (he is from Vietnam and writes in his first post "sorry for my bad english").

Either way, you don't need to update your understanding of English grammar: as you expect, the "s" is required in that context. :)

6. tarantulanebula

tarantulanebula New

Thank you dear Laird. :)
    I dream of to learn English language as familiar as my native language. Now I'm glad I'm clear on this under your kind help. :)
    I'm also glad to see people from many countries visiting this nice forum. Vietnam is contiguous with my mother country China. :)

Laird likes this.
  7. Michael Larkin

Michael Larkin Member

Because you are genuinely seeking knowledge of English (It would be bad manners for me to comment on other people's written English when I can understand what they mean), I concur that you are correct in thinking there's some kind of mistake (whether it be a typo or a non-native speaker making a small mistake).

I would also point out that we don't say "I dream of to learn English", but rather "I dream of learning English". On the other hand, one might say "I want to learn English" or "I hope to learn English". I'm unsure why it's this way, but suspect it may be because of the preposition after "dream" (dream of), making in effect a two-word verb that can take an object as opposed to dream on its own, which usually doesn't take an object (though it might occasionally in poetic or semi-poetic language: "Dream your dreams, my son!", "When asleep, I dream dragons, shining knights and beautiful princesses.").

BTW, you can speak English a heck of a sight better than I can speak Chinese!:)

Trancestate and tarantulanebula like this.
  8. Number 22

Number 22 Member

:( sorry

9. tarantulanebula

tarantulanebula New

Thank you, dear Michael Larkin! Especially for your correction on my "dream of + to infinitive", which should have been "dream of + verb's progressive form".
    I can understand what you said, with effort indeed, since your sentence is nicely and intricately constructed, giving me another chance to be familiar with many nice grammar structures.

10. tarantulanebula

tarantulanebula New

Hello dear Number 22, it is me who should say sorry!
    I agree with what Michael Larkin said:
    But we are on the same path of learning English language, I'm in no way ahead of you, I'm on your side and constantly make mistakes by myself and need to correct them.

11. Michael Larkin

Michael Larkin Member

If you like, you might consider opening a private message thread where you can ask occasionally about language issues. I'd be happy for you to invite me and anyone else who might be prepared to help. That way, you won't risk diverting threads.

tarantulanebula and Trancestate like this.