I need some help!

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Number 22, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Number 22

Number 22 Member

Recently I was obsessed with death and loss, I really want to believe in afterlife but the evidence really does not satisfy me. I really need strong evidence to crush my fears.
    Thank!
    :(

tarantulanebula likes this.
  2. I can't say for sure what your situation is from your short question, but in some cases a person who is "obsessed" would be better off looking in psychology for a solution rather than spirituality. Consider fear of flying. Information about how safe flying is doesn't really help a person who is afraid of flying. It can be the same with knowledge of the afterlife. If the problem has a psychological cause, then information about the afterlife would not help, the problem would persist and they would feel like the evidence is not solid because it doesn't solve their problem, but in reality their problem is not a lack of evidence it has some other cause that requires a psychological solution.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    David Bailey, K9!, Ian Gordon and 4 others like this.
  3. tarantulanebula

tarantulanebula New

I agree with what Jim_Smith said. The primary method is to seek for psychological aid rather than any evidence beyond our mundane life.

You are not alone, I myself and quite some people I know of feel the same as you, though there are many others who don't concern these things about death and loss.

To be honest, as far as I have tried to seek for many years, there is no such strong evidence for anyone to reasonably crush raised fears.

However, with psychological help you can more or less alleviate your fear. Perhaps leading our life as good as we can, and keeping searching to refresh our view on these matters, are something what we can do.

Number 22 likes this.
  4. Number 22

Number 22 Member

Thank!
    I think i'll try meditation.

tarantulanebula likes this.
  5. Hypsiprymnodontidae

Hypsiprymnodontidae New

I do feel that looking into the evidence will help. I agree that psychological aid will also help, but it's great for this to be assisted with satisfying evidence of something that will make you more comfortable. Looking into this forum truly helped me recover from my insecurities knowing that there are people that are all looking for the truth behind this.

Wormwood, K9!, nbtruthman and 2 others like this.
  6. nbtruthman

nbtruthman New

Good point. I do think that familiarizing ones self with some of the evidence, in particular from NDEs, can be helpful especially where the person has a primarily intellectual, logical and/or engineering/scientific bent (along with a little open-mindedness). Here, the intellect rules the persona, and if the intellect finds certain evidence compelling due to basic logic and reason, this major part of the psyche will strongly battle against the irrational despair of the other parts. On NDEs I would recommend Titus Rivas's The Self Does Not Die, which is an excellent exposition of the great range of veridical empirical evidence provided by the accounts.

K9! and Ian Gordon like this.
  7. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

I think you’re asking the right question: “what is the evidence”. As with most subjects, to get a real understanding usually takes time and effort and - unless one is fortunate to have an experience which is beyond doubt - can’t be achieve quickly. What evidence have you looked at that you find unconvincing?

Number 22 likes this.
  8. This is an illusion. People don't use reason to determine the truth, they use reason to defend their beliefs which they form for emotional reasons.

Johnathan Haidt (psychologist) says so:
    http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threa...arantine-skeptiko-data-from.4115/#post-122851
    Scott Adams (who is a trained hypnotist) says so:
    http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threa...arantine-skeptiko-data-from.4115/#post-122815
    More here:
    http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threa...arantine-skeptiko-data-from.4115/#post-122791

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Number 22 likes this.
  9. Number 22

Number 22 Member

I think that since I have lived in the materialist community for many years, I created a logical loop that made me accept material evidence only.

10. nbtruthman

nbtruthman New

This is an oversimplification. You ignore a lot of complicating factors. Within one person different segments or aspects of the psyche may be warring over just these issues, where psychological needs dictate a sort of search for new beliefs contrary to the existing ones. Someone may have a deep need for belief in Spirit and an afterlife, with the dominant materialist belief system scientific and logical side of the personality tending to dismiss this as pathetic irrationality. The two sides can be battling inside the one person, where in order to attempt to relieve the tension and satisfy the "right brain's" needs, the "left brain" is compelled, regardless of it's prior committment to materialism, to assiguously look for concrete acceptable evidence for the paranormal. This sort of uncomfortable inner conflict still essentially consitutes in essence a search for truth, complicated by a lot of psychological issues. This process may ultimately result in a sort of uncomfortable truce between the conflicting belief systems, with one side provisionally dominant but only maintained by consideration of the empirical evidence in combination with certain remaining doubts or cognitive dissonances.

hypermagda and Laird like this.
  11. People can be persuaded. But they are not persuaded by logical arguments. They are persuaded by psychological tricks of various types that take advantage of various characteristics of human nature. These characteristics are probably in some way evolutionary adaptive but they have little basis in reason.

12. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

Well it’s as good a place to start as any. What would you consider good physical evidence of survival?

13. Number 22

Number 22 Member

:eek: i have no ideal

14. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

Well perhaps it’s worth thinking about that. Good luck.

15. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

I don't think this is always the case. People who come to Skeptiko discover pretty quickly that they are not going to be spoon-fed a slick answer - they come here to wallow in uncertainty!

David

Obiwan and hypermagda like this.
  16. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

Number 22,

I think you need to realise that there are people who are absolutely dedicated to trying to dismiss any evidence of a non-material greater reality. Thus, for example, there are people who find themselves floating out of their own bodies when suffering a cardiac arrest, and watching the doctors perform their tasks, and then they go on and meet some of their dead family members - it is called an NDE! Then they are resuscitated and their memories of the resuscitation process are corroborated. By any normal measure, that would be considered proof, or something close, that the mind is distinct from the brain and continues after death, but the obsessional sceptics would rather invent any sort of fiction rather than accept this evidence.

David

Number 22 and dpdownsouth like this.
  17. Number 22

Number 22 Member

But there are some cases where people who do not go through nde think that things like nde are unreasonable, or some have experienced nde, but that it is a vague hallucination and that electroencephalography