If AWARE 2 got 10 hidden target hits, would you kill yourself?

I know this sounds like a troll thread. But I'm want to know other people's opinions. It would make so much more sense to just take your life and enter a realm of unconditional love and never experience pain again. After all my research I'm convinced by "everyday standards" NDEs are real, but I'm not convinced enough to risk my own life lol.

I'm aware that NDErs say this is the wrong way of thinking. But ask yourself, these beings of light can instantly make your soul learn all the lessons that you were supposed to learn in this life, e.g. giving you memories of a life instead of making you experience it directly. Why dont they do this? Why all this trouble?

I'm sorry if I sound "greedy". I'm sure there are many other people with very painful lives who question what on earth are they doing here.

P.S. I'm NOT thinking about taking my life, just food for thought about NDEs and its impact on our thinking.

I know this sounds like a troll thread. But I'm want to know other people's opinions. It would make so much more sense to just take your life and enter a realm of unconditional love and never experience pain again. After all my research I'm convinced by "everyday standards" NDEs are real, but I'm not convinced enough to risk my own life lol.

I'm aware that NDErs say this is the wrong way of thinking. But ask yourself, these beings of light can instantly make your soul learn all the lessons that you were supposed to learn in this life, e.g. giving you memories of a life instead of making you experience it directly. Why dont they do this? Why all this trouble?

I'm sorry if I sound "greedy". I'm sure there are many other people with very painful lives who question what on earth are they doing here.

P.S. I'm NOT thinking about taking my life, just food for thought about NDEs and its impact on our thinking.

I think you are asking a very good question indeed. I've asked it too, in many ways, in this Forum, especially addressing those people who believe NDEs are real and truthful experiences (I'm agnostic about them, frankly; I certainly don't deny that people experience NDEs, but I don't know if what they see is "the ultimate Truth"). However I have the feeling that the vast majority of people here don't worry too much about the "why" we are forced to go through this often very painful material life, but mostly just seek consolation in supposed evidence that all the suffering in this material life has a purpose, even if we can't understand it (we are stupid anyway...but who made us so stupid?), and that "it will all be well in the end" (as if this miraculously completely erased the pain and suffering, which will still have happened, though, right?).

So good luck getting a good answer. I think the answer you will get will be more or less that we are here "to learn lessons". Even being burnt alive as a child, while asleep in your bed (just the latest example from the news I can think of) is supposedly an excellent lesson worth the pain involved, I guess, for people who take this view (don't ask me to explain!). Oh yes, and of course you agreed to this before you were born, sorry you forgot about it! :)

Thank you for asking the question anyway, I hope I'll be proven wrong and we'll get some thought-provoking answers for a change :)

Problem is, if the new agers are right and you commit suicide, you'll just end up coming back to the same life to re-learn your lessons. Of course, they might not be right and I don't personally understand why there should be anything to learn but who knows? If they are right, then I would want to move onto the next step which would involve completing the lessons of this life, as hard as they might be. Quite a cruel scheme for those who have it particularly hard. Thankfully, I'm not a new ager any longer! :)

NDEs are one type of evidence that we have an immortal soul. Another example of such evidence comes from reincarnation.

Since I became convinced of the reality of reincarnation, any idea of suicide has pretty much vanished - it would not end the cycle, merely cause another iteration.

I've not had an NDE, but the outcome for those who attempt suicide and have an NDE as a result is very commonly to come back to this life, no matter how difficult and challenging it may be, with renewed energy and a sense of purpose, and any idea of repeating the attempt is usually abandoned. I'm sure there are always outliers, those whose experience contradicts this trend, but it does seem that having an NDE usually reduces the possibility of suicide.

Pain appears to be useful, just look at how leprosy sufferers often see the issue, physical pain is often thought of as a gift by them. Mental pain - in my view - has the same level of usefulness. I think it spreads through space-time, eventually the system acts on it. It evokes change, and as an individual, one can choose a different path through spacetime - ones life - , (where degrees of freedom allow it), identically to choosing a different path when out walking.

Learning to see the world for yourself, and not the way you were taught, discovering more options and choosing between them rather than being compelled, finding intimacy and spontaneity etc

If life isn't working for you seek help from mental health professionals (talking therapy etc.), and with help choose a different path, rather than the same old one we tend to choose.

Without pain and suffering we would never choose anything different as we moved through spacetime... there would be nothing to motivate us...

If life isn't working for you seek help from mental health professionals (talking therapy etc.), and with help choose a different path, rather than the same old one we tend to choose.
Crucial! If we keep on doing the same things we always did, we will keep on getting the same results we always got.

It is my "belief" that this existence on Earth is unique. I think that the qualities that are available in this "physical" existence are set apart in a way that actually draws "non-physical" entities into another incarnation on the Earth.

I have the thought daily, in a very visceral manner, that it is only by fully engaging in the absolute gestalt of this moment by moment existence on Earth will I be able to avoid the inevitable "pull" back to the sensual while existing in the "non-physical". You've got to grok this life.

Numerous accounts imply that the "non-physical" is so similar to this existence that some souls don't realize that they have "died." Given this idea, I really can't explain how this differential would present itself. But one can easily see how someone who has a "grass is always greener" mentality would flip flop between the physical and non-physical. It wouldn't be a stretch to associate "Eastern" ideas of a cessation of desire, or fully engaging in the moment with the idea of having more control over how soon or the particulars of reincarnation.

One thing is certain from the majority of accounts--we enter the "non-physical" in roughly the same mind-set as we exist here today. There may be some recognition of the veil lifting for some, and a realization of coming out of the game again for the umpteenth time. But for those who are utterly unself-aware, there is likely just more of the same and probably a quick recycle into this "physical" existence. Yet again.

So, no. I wouldn't kill myself.

Personally I think pain teaches fear. People who suffer certainly can learn from the experience but it seems to me that the lessons are usually of the kind that could have been learned without pain. Positive outcomes from pain seem to me more to do with our ability, sometimes, to transcend pain and discover some insight about ourselves or life. I don't think there is anything intrinsically good in pain, unless your into S&M of course.

We all experience pain, but it doesn't mean we're all fearful. Sometimes when I touch something hot and it hurts, to me that is quite a positive thing, it reduces the probability of permanent damage.

But that's not the same as the experience of suffering, I'd say suffering is something other. It isn't just about pain, in fact there may be none, but we may still suffer.

There may be spiritual practices which deal with each of these things. But for most ordinary people it is more about how we one way or another try to get through daily life. Sometimes that in itself is a form of spiritual practice, though people would not usually describe it in such terms.

We all experience pain, but it doesn't mean we're all fearful. Sometimes when I touch something hot and it hurts, to me that is quite a positive thing, it reduces the probability of permanent damage.

Of course. Fear of injury.

But that's not the same as the experience of suffering, I'd say suffering is something other. It isn't just about pain, in fact there may be none, but we may still suffer.

That's an important distinction imho.

You have to take into account the NDEs that are confusing/disturbing, the ones that are just incoherent, etc.

There's a difference between NDEs one day definitely showing to everyone that mind and brain (by which we mean the meat) are not equivalent and a definite proof of an afterlife. Then there's a question of how many different kinds of afterlife are there.

No, I already believe life continues from my own research and experiences so another study wouldn't do much for that. Also, if my past life memories are real then the other side is phenomenally mundane compared to what one might hope for. One friend once described dying like waking up from one dream into another dream. I'd agree with that. No real after life, just another life.

That being said the memories also indicate that things are far less restricted than people tend to believe here. With things like high fantasy-esque magic, extra planar and extra dimensional travel among other crazy things being not just possible but quite commonplace depending where you go.

Suicide and the Afterlife.
http://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/suicide

In the vast majority of cases, people kill themselves due to abnormal brain chemistry.

Spirits who need healing or other types of help when they cross over get the help they need in the afterlife.

Someone who is grieving for a suicide victim, or a suicide victim who has just crossed over, needs to understand there is no special punishment assigned to suicide victims in the afterlife.

Someone who is contemplating suicide needs to understand that suicide won't solve anything because you are an immortal spirit and it is impossible to really kill yourself. Furthermore, you can't escape the consequences of your actions by killing yourself.

Here are excerpts from someone who had an NDE after attempting suicide:
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/suicide03.html
"I came into the presence of a brilliant, wonderfully warm and loving Light. While I was in the presence of this Light I was shown a review of my life and all the events that brought me to that point."
"I was given the choice of remaining with the light, provided I return later to the physical world and experience all that brought me to the point of shooting myself, or I could return now and pick up my life where it was. I was told that I would eventually have the family and love I so desperately yearned for."

Back