Mod+ If God had Two Primary Attributes- What would they be?

Steve

I would like to get ideas about the Nature of God.

If God's attributes were to be whittled down to only two in number, all others being derived from these two, which two would they be?

My own two would be Love and Intelligence.

It's hard to do other than to model god in one's own image. Thus some form of consciousness/awareness would seem to be a primary requirement. Messages received from many disparate sources would say love is primary.

It's hard to do other than to model god in one's own image. Thus some form of consciousness/awareness would seem to be a primary requirement. Messages received from many disparate sources would say love is primary.

Thanks Typoz, you have already highlighted a obvious overlooking on my part. I should have said two attributes apart from consciousness, which I think might be the fundamental basis of everything.

Thanks Typoz, you have already highlighted a obvious overlooking on my part. I should have said two attributes apart from consciousness, which I think might be the fundamental basis of everything.
It's interesting though. Perhaps there's an idea of God as some separate being with whom we may interact. But if consciousness is a fundamental, it seems to suggest perhaps our own consciousness is immersed in a sea of consciousness, that is, we are not separated at all. Not sure I expressed that very well. It seemed clear enough before I tried to write it down. :)

But if consciousness is a fundamental, it seems to suggest perhaps our own consciousness is immersed in a sea of consciousness, that is, we are not separated at all.

Yes, I'm in favour of this. I think it may be Idealism, but nailing things down when metaphysics is concerned is too difficult for my paltry intellect.

I think that probably means that we're all part of God. If that turns out to be true, we have all won the lottery. In fact, in my opinion, we already have.

I think a decent case can be made for the "God of Philosophers", by which I mean a Ground of Being.

Beyond it's hard to say. Bernardo, for example, has suggested that the M@L that is Ground in his metaphysics isn't even self-reflexive.

If we just had to choose two qualities we'd like God to have I'd say Love and Freedom.

Yes, I'm in favour of this. I think it may be Idealism, but nailing things down when metaphysics is concerned is too difficult for my paltry intellect.

I think that probably means that we're all part of God. If that turns out to be true, we have all won the lottery. In fact, in my opinion, we already have.

When it comes to consciousness all intellects are rather paltry, though some may be desperate to claim expertise.

Beyond it's hard to say. Bernardo, for example, has suggested that the M@L that is Ground in his metaphysics isn't even self-reflexive.

That probably doesn't matter that much if it can produce separate parts of itself that are self reflective? If indeed we are all part of consciousness, as I think Bernardo suggests.

If God's attributes were to be whittled down to only two in number, all others being derived from these two, which two would they be?

How about Divine Love and Divine Wisdom? Wisdom implies the intelligence being useful.

Buddhism teaches wisdom and compassion and how they are interconnected (Buddha Nature)

Buddhism teaches wisdom and compassion and how they are interconnected (Buddha Nature)

Great.
So basically my guess of Love and Intelligence wasn't miles out, wisdom is a better term to use than intelligence I think. Is love > compassion ? What does Buddhism say about it?

Great.
So basically my guess of Love and Intelligence wasn't miles out, wisdom is a better term to use than intelligence I think. Is love > compassion ? What does Buddhism say about it?
compassion in the Buddhist sense is based on an awareness of our own existential suffering through reifying and clinging to objects and phenomenon that are subject to change and dissolution. When one see's the truth of this(wisdom) a natural sense of compassion and empathy arises toward ourselves and other sentient beings. I think love in Buddhist terminology is more analogous to Metta or loving kindness which is a quality that arises and a practice one attempts to cultivate. When we see how our lives are coextensive with other beings(wisdom) and get a taste of the freedom from practicing the dharma a wish for other freedom and happiness naturally arises.

Back