Influencing the Weather (experiment)

Greetings Skeptiko community,

I'm a graduate student at UC Davis studying atmospheric science. On the side of my official work, i'm doing some research on influencing the weather using mental intentions, which has not been studied scientifically (except for one very small study by Roger Nelson in 1997) despite the practice being prominent in many cultures throughout human history.

I set up an online experiment that is aimed to look for this effect while also providing relief to the west coast (California) drought. It is available here: www.deltaaware.org/weather. You can complete an experimental session in as short as 5 minutes (though you would need to watch a 3 minute video and fill out a short questionnaire if it is your first time contributing a session). The experiment can be done from anywhere with an internet connection.

I'm happy to discuss the methodology of this experiment further if anyone would like. I have not done any data analysis yet so it would be too early to discuss preliminary results.

Also, if anyone happens to know of a case of weather influence where a quick response occurred (for example, someone did a rain dance and a heavy shower occurred 30 minutes later), and you are able to tie a location and approximate date to it, I would be very grateful to hear about it :)

I look forward to getting to know you all and seeing all this community has to offer!

Dani

I do not like to try to influence the weather. Because of the butterfly effect, you never know what the consequences would be. I might ask a higher power to do something within the constraints of "the highest good". Also, there might be a drought, or a flood, for a reason and it might not be a good idea to try to interfere..

I do not like to try to influence the weather. Because of the butterfly effect, you never know what the consequences would be. I might ask a higher power to do something within the constraints of "the highest good". Also, there might be a drought, or a flood, for a reason and it might not be a good idea to try to interfere..
It seems to me that if one follows your logic then one should never intervene in any physical process; medical, environmental . . . because we might interfere with gods plan. Aren’t our effects part of it – isn’t our conscious free will there so we can learn? We’re not in the garden of eden any more remember:) I don’t know chaos theory by btw so maybe I need to catch up.

Last edited:
I address concerns of unintended consequences in the video as well as in the description. It is important to recognize that we are not trying to control the weather, or attempt to have power over it in any way. Rather, we are inviting (rather than demanding) the atmosphere to put itself in such a form that would provide the greatest good for the planet and the life on it. Experienced weather-workers caution us that we need to come from a place of compassion and be humble about our intentions. Sometimes the weather conditions we truly need are different from what we think they may be. Nevertheless, this experiment invites us to ask (but not demand!) the atmosphere for relief to the ongoing drought, but perhaps the broader implication is that we are using scientific methodology to help us learn more about our relationship with nature as conscious beings.

The butterfly effect makes the atmosphere a great place to study PK, in my opinion.

Influencing the weather... Wow. That is well into the "macro" scale. The only times that I have been convinced that consciousness, or at least my state of mind, influenced the external world were Jungian synchronicities. I am not even sure if such influence can be reflected at such a scale, synchronicities are distinctly personal and only require circumstances relevant to one person to align whereas influencing the weather could have repercussions on large populations. Nevertheless, it should be interesting seeing your results.

Ian Gordon

Ninshub
Greetings Skeptiko community,

I'm a graduate student at UC Davis studying atmospheric science. On the side of my official work, i'm doing some research on influencing the weather using mental intentions, which has not been studied scientifically (except for one very small study by Roger Nelson in 1997) despite the practice being prominent in many cultures throughout human history.
Have you read The PK Man - the study of Ted Owens by parapsychologist Jeffrey Mishlove? There's a case of macro PK, including (extreme) weather influence (hurricanes, lightning storms, drought, etc. etc.). Mishlove tried to study him "scientifically" the best he could, despite the limitations. A must-read in any case if you're researching this area.
So begins Jeffrey Mishlove's The PK Man, the true and strange story of Ted Owens, whose claims of powerful psychokinetic abilities given to him by "Space Intelligences" were too bizarre and extreme for many to believe. When these claims were ignored or challenged, he purportedly used his powers to produce earthquakes, civil unrest, UFO sightings, strange weather events, and other powerful phenomena. Owens even threatened to down aircraft to garner attention.

Was there any truth to Owens' abilities, or was he a fraud with a knack for picking the times and places of catastrophes? Jeffrey Mishlove, PhD, a respected parapsychologist and host of the popular public television program Thinking Allowed, analyzes correspondence, interviews, newspaper reports, and remarkable life of "the world's greatest psychic," as Owens claimed to be. Whether Owens was a prodigious liar and dangerous con-man, or a true but unbalanced master who used his incredible powers primarily for petty acts of revenge, many questions remain, and the implications for the rest of us are staggering.
The PK Man is an adventure and research project in which I was engaged for over 10 years, studying a man named Ted Owens. He was a most unusual man, whose powers were of shamanistic proportions. Everything that I present in this book, unbelievable, as it may seem, did actually occur and I have the documentation to prove it.

The story began in 1976; Owens sent a letter to Russell Targ and Hal Puthoff, two parapsychologists at the Stanford Research Institute. His letter stated he would end the drought that was then plaguing California. He said he would make it rain, snow, sleet and hail. There would be blackouts, and UFO sightings. Within three days all of these things happened.

Owens was a Speaker at the London Parascience Conference held at the University of London, he claimed that he was an agent of the UFOs. He was their Ambassador and he had come to Earth to perform miraculous feats to end the droughts. To do wonderful things for people on Earth, he even called himself PK Man, meaning the “Psychokinesis Man,” the man who had power of mind over matter.

Later, Ted Owens showed me his files, as I looked through the many documents illustrating instances where he'd produced a wide variety of phenomena, I found a letter from Dr. Max Fogel, the Director of Education for MENSA, an organization for people with high IQ's. The letter stated that in 1973 Owens promised Vogel he would produce a UFO sighting within a 100mile radius of Norfolk, Virginia. A UFO did appear witnessed by a policeman. I asked Ted Owens if he would produce a similar demonstration for me. Could he make a UFO appear and be seen by reliable witnesses? He told me could make a UFO appear in front of hundreds of reliable witnesses. It'll be well attested. The story of that successful demonstration is one of the many that I present in The PK Man.
http://www.amazon.com/PK-Man-True-S...TF8&qid=1447019699&sr=1-1&keywords=the+pk+man

Have you read The PK Man - the study of Ted Owens by parapsychologist Jeffrey Mishlove? There's a case of macro PK, including (extreme) weather influence (hurricanes, lightning storms, drought, etc. etc.). Mishlove tried to study him "scientifically" the best he could, despite the limitations. A must-read in any case if you're researching this area.

http://www.amazon.com/PK-Man-True-S...TF8&qid=1447019699&sr=1-1&keywords=the+pk+man
Ah yes, forgot to cite this. I have read it. I really wish Owens was still alive today.

Most of the cases in that book that published locations and dates consisted of effects that took place on timescales of days to weeks. While impressive, they are unfortunately very hard to assess scientifically. I've been trying to think of how to do it (since the cases on timescales of days far outnumber the cases on timescales of hours) and the best I could come up with is intensive modeling. Cases of rain forming within hours are much easier to handle because we can easily look at archived radar, radiosonde data, etc. While I hear of this happening all the time, its very seldom that people are able to remember or retrieve dates.

great idea. Im going to follow this and do your experiment myself.
I take photos of the weather every day for years now and have lots of theories, but i haven't tried this.

Influencing the weather... Wow. That is well into the "macro" scale. The only times that I have been convinced that consciousness, or at least my state of mind, influenced the external world were Jungian synchronicities. I am not even sure if such influence can be reflected at such a scale, synchronicities are distinctly personal and only require circumstances relevant to one person to align whereas influencing the weather could have repercussions on large populations. Nevertheless, it should be interesting seeing your results.
I agree, but there may be something to be said for group consciousness, which is what I'm guessing Dani here is trying to study (please correct me if I'm wrong). There is the Global Consciousness Project, who found a huge spike in "global consciousness" (I'm honestly not sure how they measure that) just prior to the 9-11 attacks. I'm sure the methodology can be found here:
http://global-mind.org/
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/911formal.html

Yesterday I was in a real hurry so i need the ATM to be quick with giving me my money. Typical.

Just when i need something to hurry up, it seems to take forever. By my watch it took about 5 minutes and I lost my place in the queue.

Synchronicities. Everywhere. Often. YOU added the meaning to it, or it was meaningful only to you.

I put it to others - you are the thing that's integral to the event. Who else cares about my disgusting 5 minutes with an ATM?

It seems like I'm making little things happen around me all of the time.

I think this idea is possible.

https://deltaaware.org/storm/

Background Information:

Hurricane Matthew is on track for a potentially catastrophic impact to the east coast of Florida.

An experiment is being activated for Daytona Beach International Airport (KDAB) with the same format as the California Drought Relief Experiment but with the intention of inviting calmer winds at the site.

The experiment will remain active throughout the duration of storm impacts. You can participate at any time, as many times as you wish, and you can complete a 5, 15, or 25 minute session.

Additionally, a group session will be hosted at 11:10 am EDT/8:10 am PDT Friday. The link to join is posted below. Please join if you are able.

Feel free to share this page widely and as quickly as possible! Let’s make a team effort here to observing a mass consciousness effect!

If this experiment shows a positive result, I hope someone does something similar in the cause of World Peace. I fear that with the increasing hostility towards Russia - much of it cynically manufactured - we are drifting ever closer to a nuclear catastrophe.

David