Interesting Study on Dreams of Hospice Patients Approaching Death

Hello, Skeptiko community. It has been a long time since I have posted anything, but I found this article recently and thought that it was quite interesting.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/02/25/hospice-buffalo-death-dreams-study/

It's about a doctor interviewing hospice patients about their dreams as they got closer to their death. What is very fascinating is that an astonishingly large number of them reported having contact with their dead loved ones in their dreams, similar to near death experiences and in the research of Kimberly Pemberthy, also under deep meditative states as well.

Thanks TruthSeeker,

Wow - so now we have three types of evidence pointing in the same direction - these dreams, death bed visions, and NDE's.

David
I disagree about death bed visions. There are plausible skeptic explanations. As a person is approach death, their body deteriorates more and they physically feel the impending doom, causing them to think more about afterlife/deceased relatives and experience immense stress, resulting in the high chance of hallucinating deceased visitors. For NDEs and terminal lucidity, there are no good skeptic explanations, so I concentrate on reading those things.

I disagree about death bed visions. There are plausible skeptic explanations. As a person is approach death, their body deteriorates more and they physically feel the impending doom, causing them to think more about afterlife/deceased relatives and experience immense stress, resulting in the high chance of hallucinating deceased visitors. For NDEs and terminal lucidity, there are no good skeptic explanations, so I concentrate on reading those things.
What about shared death bed visions?

What about shared death bed visions?
The problem with shared death bed visions is that they are too subjective to really make anything out of them. I'm not so arrogant as to say that they don't happen, but rather that unlike NDEs, which we have many cases of veridical perception to work with, it is hard to do much with them.

In controversial case materials like abduction cases, past life hypnotic regression, etc.. it would be important to look for verifying features of said experiences. If we can verify that elements in the alien abduction cases share similar themes, for instance, there are only three possibilities: one, that the hypnotizer is suggesting and producing the same false memories in everyone (unlikely), two, that people are somehow hallucinating the same thing (also unlikely) or three, that no matter how hard it may be to believe, the abduction phenomenon is real. The point is, however, that this can only be done by verifying features common in all cases. With cases of shared death bed visions, this is harder to do.

If you've ever had a baby, you'll know they communicate and experience the world on levels other than our favourite -conventional logical spoken language. I think this also explains the telepathy of non-verbal animals. There is a paradox in it, as with the other end of life, it is because our physical grasp deteriorates and loosens, other forms of communication become more viable.

Likewise, unless you've been at the bedside of one who is leaving life, the profound intensity and strangeness is hard to grasp.

The point is that these phenomena often happen to people with severe dementia, who seem to 'wake up' a short time before death.

Sometimes critics will try to pick off some NDE's with one explanation (e.g. confabulation during the recovery period), but ignore other cases that would not fit that explanation (e.g. those cases where people see minute details of the resuscitation process). I think your suggestion has the same quality.

Obviously you will read all sorts of materialist claims by scientists, but they are clutching at straws for conventional explanations.

David

Hello, Skeptiko community. It has been a long time since I have posted anything, but I found this article recently and thought that it was quite interesting.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/02/25/hospice-buffalo-death-dreams-study/

It's about a doctor interviewing hospice patients about their dreams as they got closer to their death. What is very fascinating is that an astonishingly large number of them reported having contact with their dead loved ones in their dreams, similar to near death experiences and in the research of Kimberly Pemberthy, also under deep meditative states as well.
wow. Thanks for sharing this. Let's get this guy on skeptiko :) anyone up for inviting him on my behalf?

The point is that these phenomena often happen to people with severe dementia, who seem to 'wake up' a short time before death.

Sometimes critics will try to pick off some NDE's with one explanation (e.g. confabulation during the recovery period), but ignore other cases that would not fit that explanation (e.g. those cases where people see minute details of the resuscitation process). I think your suggestion has the same quality.

Obviously you will read all sorts of materialist claims by scientists, but they are clutching at straws for conventional explanations.

David
I think you are referring to terminal lucidity as opposed to DBV. Both these phenomenon seem to occur on a spectrum or continuum at one end of which are easily explained by conventional means and the other appear to be paranormal - a perfect set up for oppositional views as you describe.