Jesus’ Existence

I am having trouble finding an accurate answer to what I thought was a simple question:

Do most historians believe that Jesus existed or not?

on Wikipedia (I know not necessarily the most reliable) it says : most historians believe Jesus existed .

then on big think , it says most believe he did.

then i see in other sites , most don’t believe he existed and still another website said historians are split .

well which is it? I’m looking for factual answers . What percentage of historians believe that Jesus really existed ?

can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Why do you want to ask historians When you admit

then i see in other sites , most don’t believe he existed and still another website said historians are split .

well which is it? I’m looking for factual answers
Which should prove to you that History ends in meaninglessness
You then ask for percentages

What percentage of historians believe that Jesus really existed
even if 100% said yes or no that still would not prove that Jesus existed or did not exist -or disprove History ends in meaninglessness
I will prove that to you

take astronomy since its discovery in 1930 till 15 years ago all astronomers said Pluto is a planet

Why is Pluto no longer a planet?
now with a change in definition of planet now all astronomer now say Pluto is not a planet-so much for percentages

note
if the earth was where Pluto is now then by the new definition earth would not be a planet

thus all ends meaninglessness

Last edited:
The example of Pluto seem a rather unsuitable one. There it is a matter of changing definitions. However Pluto is smaller than our own Moon, it is pretty tiny. I'm pretty sure that if Earth was as far from the Sun as Pluto, it would still be a planet, by virtue of its size. However it would be uninhabitable, we wouldn't be there with it.

As for the question on statistical beliefs about Jesus, I'm not really sure of its significance, statistics on belief don't equate to any particular meaning, unless one is preferring to place oneself either with or against the majority, but then, so what?

Why do you want to ask historians When you admit

Which should prove to you that History ends in meaninglessness
You then ask for percentages

even if 100% said yes or no that still would not prove that Jesus existed or did not exist -or disprove History ends in meaninglessness
I will prove that to you

take astronomy since its discovery in 1930 till 15 years ago all astronomers said Pluto is a planet

Why is Pluto no longer a planet?
now with a change in definition of planet now all astronomer now say Pluto is not a planet-so much for percentages

note
if the earth was where Pluto is now then by the new definition earth would not be a planet

thus all ends meaninglessness
your response is meaningless . Don’t worry about what I’m gonna do with the answer . It was a simple question. What percentage of historians believe that a historical Jesus actually existed ? Not that difficult and ur response is odd .

The example of Pluto seem a rather unsuitable one. There it is a matter of changing definitions. However Pluto is smaller than our own Moon, it is pretty tiny. I'm pretty sure that if Earth was as far from the Sun as Pluto, it would still be a planet, by virtue of its size. However it would be uninhabitable, we wouldn't be there with it.

As for the question on statistical beliefs about Jesus, I'm not really sure of its significance, statistics on belief don't equate to any particular meaning, unless one is preferring to place oneself either with or against the majority, but then, so what?
no one is talking about meaning . It’s a simple question that I couldn’t find the answer to.

I think it is also a case of what do you mean by the existence of Jesus! Do you mean:

1) Was there someone called Jesus at the right place and time approximately?

2) Do we know that it was the same Jesus in all the various accounts?

3) Can we be sure that the ideas we now attribute to Jesus were the things he preached at the time?

Remember, there is a gap in records between Jesus aged 12 and Jesus in his late 20's. Furthermore, the earliest Gospel wasn't written untile something like 30 years after his death.

David

I am having trouble finding an accurate answer to what I thought was a simple question:

on Wikipedia (I know not necessarily the most reliable) it says : most historians believe Jesus existed .

well which is it? I’m looking for factual answers . What percentage of historians believe that Jesus really existed ?

It’s a mixed bag. Many do believe he existed. I might say most. I did use to research and read up on this sort of thing years ago quite a bit.
But there’s no real answer or certain way to know in this case. I think a man very much like him did exist personally.

no one is talking about meaning . It’s a simple question that I couldn’t find the answer to.
This is the kind of question that would have to be answered by a study. The study would at best give you a slice of time sampling of opinions. The sample would not be exhaustive because it would be impossible to poll every historian in the world or in the US, or Europe, etc, on the question. IF you had a huge sample, it would look something like this: 2,000 mailers/queries sent out, 500 returned, 50 illegible, 450 usable. From those 450 answers, you would generalize to the estimated number of historians in the target group, such as the US. My guess is that you'd be lucky to get the attention of five percent the total number of historians in the target group, and luckier still if half of those answered the question legibly. From that, you would estimate that your results are representative of the target but there would be no way to know for sure without sampling them all.

What are the sites that say historians do not overwhelmingly believe Jesus was a real person?