Leslie Kean, Investigative Journalist Tackles Survival After Death |342|

Is that so, Tim?! That would be great. If there is some material that we can insert in a new edition of The Self Does Not Die, that would be most welcome.

BTW, ALEX, she was talking about veridical NDE's. It is not clear to me whether you mentioned to her something about our book The Self Does Not Die, which contains many NDE's with veridical perceptions that were confirmed by independent third parties.

Smithy

(Edit) PS - I just downloaded the Kindle version of her book. Very interesting indeed what I have seen thus far. The section on Pam Reynolds is also very interesting and provides some useful details we have not come across previously. But these are not world shattering...;)
A pity though that apparently Ms Kean was not aware of The Self Does Not Die. Some cases presented therein would have been very suitable for her book.
I didn't... she's done a goo job, but it's not a thorough review of the field. For example, she doesn't mention Jeff Long or Eben Alexander either.

There've been these meetings at CERN, the European particle physics lab on Science and Religion on trying to find a common language. Groundbreaking I thought, so thought to share.

The fact is, there are religious particle physicists working at CERN who have no difficulty in reconciling their science and faith.
Small summary of the three meetings https://www.wiltonpark.org.uk/event/wp1433/

I just came across this third (November 2015) one to do with "a common understanding of logic" which I thought really interesting in that it seems to relate somewhat to Prof. Raymond Moody when he talks about different kinds of logic.
In his book Paranormal Ray quotes Hume on the immortality of the soul ... "By the mere light of reason it seems impossible to prove the immortality of the soul. Some new species of logic is required for that purpose and some new faculties of the mind that they may enable us to comprehend that logic."
This issue comes up in a class he was in at university. What was interesting was that his professor then pointed him to Dr. George Ritchie, a psychiatrist at the connected medical school who had a famous NDE.

But there's a bit in the final Wilton Park/CERN report on logic that sounds quite similar to do with God's existence ... Section 20
"The existence of God cannot be explicitly proven using ontological means, but instead can represent personal belief. This would therefore imply that there may indeed be different logical basis for the disciplines."
Final Report here https://www.wiltonpark.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/WP1433-Report.pdf

So to understand the soul's immortality (and God, one presumes), you can't do it through scientific logic but those at the CERN meeting don't seem to be dismissing the concept of God at all - just that some new (but valid) way of thinking is needed to understand God.
Anyway, just thought it fascinating that, among scientists at CERN (there were philosophers and theologians as well in the meetings) new ideas in logic are being discussed in respect of God, at least.

I've only taken time to read half the comments posted so far, but I think I have something unique to contribute.

I recently came across evidence from Bruce Greyson that memories of past lives maybe real memories, but not of a past life. In other words, I'm saying it's possible to have someone else's memories without having been that person.

In the last few minutes in this video (
) Greyson confirms some strange cases where more than one person remembers the same past life. He also confirms cases where the past life didn't end until after the child recalling it was born (the time between death and rebirth is a negative number!) These cases are incompatible with the classic understanding of reincarnation. There seems to be something else going on. If something else is going on, who's to say any report of a past life is a case of reincarnation. We can test (in some cases) the accuracy of the memories. We cannot test whether the person with the memories is the same entity who originally acquired those memories. Kean briefly explores other explanations for reincarnation in Surviving Death, but she missed this case.

Furthermore, it is common for a life review to be experienced from the perspective of other people. You could say that some people who had an NDE have memories of other people as if they were that person, except the interpretation of those memories is not of having been that person in a past life. So there is one known way to obtain someone else's experiences workout having been reborn.

Sorry I've repeated myself. I'm used to being misunderstood, so I'm just trying to be clear.

I've only taken time to read half the comments posted so far, but I think I have something unique to contribute.

I recently came across evidence from Bruce Greyson that memories of past lives maybe real memories, but not of a past life. In other words, I'm saying it's possible to have someone else's memories without having been that person.

In the last few minutes in this video (
) Greyson confirms some strange cases where more than one person remembers the same past life. He also confirms cases where the past life didn't end until after the child recalling it was born (the time between death and rebirth is a negative number!) These cases are incompatible with the classic understanding of reincarnation. There seems to be something else going on. If something else is going on, who's to say any report of a past life is a case of reincarnation. We can test (in some cases) the accuracy of the memories. We cannot test whether the person with the memories is the same entity who originally acquired those memories. Kean briefly explores other explanations for reincarnation in Surviving Death, but she missed this case.

Furthermore, it is common for a life review to be experienced from the perspective of other people. You could say that some people who had an NDE have memories of other people as if they were that person, except the interpretation of those memories is not of having been that person in a past life. So there is one known way to obtain someone else's experiences workout having been reborn.

Sorry I've repeated myself. I'm used to being misunderstood, so I'm just trying to be clear.
thx. I agree, this is a valuable insight... but I don't take it as a "who to say... we need more science..." kinda way, but as an example of how we need to dig deeper into what our wisdom/spiritual traditions teach us.

Leslie Kean: It sure does and there’s plenty of questions that are unanswerable as far as I’m concerned, and probably always will be unanswerable and I think that’s the thing about near-death experiences...There are forces in operation here that we can’t explain and that science can’t explain and I like the fact that it opens up a door to, sort of the mystery of the world around us and we’ll never be able to..."

F#*@ mystery...we've had to put up with it since the dawn of time! Sadly, Leslie, even as an investigative journalist can't imagine a time that science actually could answer this question. Meanwhile, science could NOW provide both research and answers if it wasn't for the fact that the materialists have a complete stranglehold on science with 'our minds are made up don't confuse us with the facts' position. The Deep hypothermic circulatory arrest (DHCA) is a surgical technique that involves cooling the body to temperatures below 20°C (68°F), and stopping blood circulation and brain function for up to one hour.[1][2] It is used when blood circulation to the brain must be stopped because of delicate surgery within the brain, or because of surgery on large blood vessels that lead to or from the brain. DHCA is a form of carefully managed clinical death in which heartbeat and all brain activity cease"... the exact operation that Pam Reynolds underwent for her brain tumor is the answer! Clearly, if we can induce clinical death for up to an hour for a brain tumor removal, we can have NDE researchers in the room during these operations to invite the patient with clear directions (as they report they can hear the conversations in the room) to a computer generating random images linked to time, so that when they are resuscitated they can report these random images that are hidden from the operating room personnel. If these researchers had been in the room with Pam and the study set up, we would have not just her amazing story but the facts. If she returned and reported an image 30 minutes into the operation we would have had our black swan and know that consciousness exists outside the body. The 'it's simply the brain going offline or online' argument would be crushed forever.

The AWARE study fell short in many ways... in fact, as a designer, I suspect it was designed to fail. It relies on people who are having a cardiac arrest in a hospital to figure out on their own with no prompting at the time of death, to magically look for (why would they?) and find a cardboard image hanging from the ceiling...no time is linked to the image when viewed obviously, never mind how a stagnant image is easily viewed by anyone standing on a chair. NDEers are paying attention to the fact that they are now dead and being pulled by the light and without direction would never decide to seek out an image.

The number one question we in this NDE community need to insist that science tackle, which requires only a fraction of the funding that goes to NASA or CERN is this: Who are we?...wet computers or spirits having a human experience? AI/the singularity is right around the corner...are we really ready to merge with computers before we even know who we are? We have millions of NDE antidotal reports already ...another million won't matter...we need to insist on proof.

I've posted this elsewhere, but this is an interesting article by Leslie Kean.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...230e4b0b48cd8e0a5c7?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003
thx for the link. Leslie seems like a great person, but so many things about this story just don't add up. It all sounds incredibly scripted:

Like many others, I was astonished at Tom’s ability to win the trust of these impressive advisors, who at first wished to remain anonymous yet obviously believed that this information belongs to all of us.

...Regarding UAP, he told me that since so many smart, credible people have seen them, he has concluded they must be real. “That means it can be done - these unusual flight characteristics can be done. So how do you do it? I want to dig into how you do it. It can be done!”

thx for the link. Leslie seems like a great person, but so many things about this story just don't add up. It all sounds incredibly scripted:

Like many others, I was astonished at Tom’s ability to win the trust of these impressive advisors, who at first wished to remain anonymous yet obviously believed that this information belongs to all of us.

...Regarding UAP, he told me that since so many smart, credible people have seen them, he has concluded they must be real. “That means it can be done - these unusual flight characteristics can be done. So how do you do it? I want to dig into how you do it. It can be done!”
It does all seem very odd. George Knapp mentioned DeLonge on his last C2C, hinting that there would be an announcement soon. Now Leslie Kean posts an article stating that the announcement from DeLonge will be streamed live on the internet today. Kean and Knapp are usually very credible journalists.... but this whole thing looks so dodgy. I'll guess we'll find out today... or we won't because something will delay things yet again.

Well yes but:

1) The technologies in question might be far, far ahead of modern science - imagine people 300 years ago being inspired by seeing a modern computer - that wouldn't help them build one!

2) I don't think I would like the US to be in possession of some super new technologies that might be used to fight war!

As K9 said, it seems they really want our money! On the other hand, it is interesting that Harold Puthof is involved!

David

Leslie Kean, Investigative Journalist Tackles Survival After Death |342|
by Alex Tsakiris | Mar 14 | Consciousness Science, Near-Death Experience

Tweet
SHARES0

Leslie Kean made headlines investigating UFOs, now she taking on NDEs, mediums, and after death communication.

Today we welcome Leslie Kean to Skeptiko. Leslie is an investigating journalist with a long long list of credits from many major news outlets, but you may also know her from 2010 NYT bestseller, UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record. Well, she’s back with another thumb to the eye of conventional paradigms with her new book: Surviving Death: A Journalist Investigates Evidence of an Afterlife. Leslie, welcome to Skeptiko. Thanks for joining me…

Alex Tsakiris: You’ve looked at these people square in the eye, you sat in the séance session, and not that you’re infallible or can’t be fooled at all, but you’re bringing something there that, I think, adds a certain degree of credibility for people like me… I think the journalist, in that position, is somebody I trust.

Leslie Kean: Well, I hope that’s the case and I’m glad you feel that way, I hope it came through that way in the book, because I certainly, even though I did have my own personal experiences, which really affected me, at the same time I remained in the role of a journalist and I even analysed my own experiences that way.
Fantastic book. Im about halfway through it. I was only thinking earlier last week that somebody should write a book that combines all the survivalist data, ghosts, NDE's, Mediumship etc and combine all the evidence into one book, and she nailed it. Maybe such a book exists already but I was not aware of it. All the others I had come across focused on, generally, one or the other.

Last edited:
just listened today (another cool episode, I didn't know she had explored this topic, only know her from the UFO side) and went to look up the medium that she mentions in Ireland (as I'm not far) and turns out she died 2 years ago next week :eek:
looking forward to any future interviews with her, see if she hits the ufos and death connection...

Back