Mark Gober, Dispelling Upside Down Thinking in Favor of Extended Consciousness |420|

As a white European man approaching my sixtieth year, I don’t really have feelings of pride or angry defence of any relatives I might (think that I) have. That they had difficult lives as working class Scots, I freely accept, but I am not aware of particular difficulties or more difficult than any other of their tribe. I haven’t gone very far back in time, late 1800’s.

Perhaps it’s my favouring reincarnation which makes me think as I do. After all, there’s little point in getting emotional about any one group of people, when the (strong) possibility exists that the real me lived a life as any number of individuals here on earth or elsewhere. I have read that we often come back into the same area as before, I don’t try to guess why that might be. Or why we might suddenly grow up as a female in Japan, but the evidence for such things is as or more compelling as any other theory.

Having spent a lot of my youth growing up in Africa, I think I have more awareness than many people I mix with now about my groups’ approach to race relations. I think that the whites I have come into contact with generally have a built in ‘superiority’ to blacks or other races. Only this week, I was talking to members of my family and was quite amused at how racist they appeared to be. I was not shocked or offended. They are old and set in their ways. However, if we had been talking so freely in the company of black people, I would have agreed with them if they had objected to what my family had said. I am also aware that blacks and others have their own bigoted views.

I remember reading about how the boss of an RAF squadron abroad dealt with the wives of his men when they started to become a bit of a problem. He got them all in a room together then asked them to take their seats in order of ‘rank’, choosing his words carefully. They all milled around but eventually they sat down, senior officers wives first, then the officers, then the NCOs wives and so on. There was little argument between them, it was just a matter of sorting out how to arrange the seating, not about the order of ‘rank’.

Once they were seated, the Squadron boss revealed to them their mistake. They had no rank! It was their husbands who were in the forces and had rank.

I feel the same thing would have happened when I was growing up. If different races were brought into a room and told to choose their seat in order of where they ranked in that society it might have gone something like... Wealthy White Afrikaner, wealthy white English speaker, poor Afrikaner, poor white English speaker, Rich Indian, poor Indian, coloured, black. Most of this would be considered automatic, or subconscious imo.

So while I get that whites did have it tough and suffered in the past, as they do today. Given a choice, I would rather be white skinned than black skinned, at any time that I’m aware of. But that is from the point of view of a human living on earth, not a soul seeking wisdom.

Last edited:
Back