Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan credited the goddess Namagiri for his 3900 results.

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Jim_Smith, May 22, 2015.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namagiri_Thayar
    Srinivasa Ramanujan credits his mathematical findings to the Goddess of Namagiri. According to Ramanujan, she appeared in his visions, proposing him mathematical formulae, which Ramanujan would then have to verify. One such event was described by him as follows:

"While asleep, I had an unusual experience. There was a red screen formed by flowing blood, as it were. I was observing it. Suddenly a hand began to write on the screen. I became all attention. That hand wrote a number of elliptic integrals. They stuck to my mind. As soon as I woke up, I committed them to writing."[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan

Srinivasa Ramanujan FRS (pronunciation: Listeni/sriː.ni.vaː.sə raː.maː.nʊ.dʒən/) (22 December 1887 – 26 April 1920) was an Indian mathematician and autodidact who, with almost no formal training in pure mathematics, made extraordinary contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions. Ramanujan initially developed his own mathematical research in isolation; it was quickly recognized by Indian mathematicians. When his skills became apparent to the wider mathematical community, centred in Europe at the time, he began a famous partnership with the English mathematician G. H. Hardy. He rediscovered previously known theorems in addition to producing new work.

During his short life, Ramanujan independently compiled nearly 3900 results (mostly identities and equations).[1] Nearly all his claims have now been proven correct, although a small number of these results were actually false and some were already known.[2] He stated results that were both original and highly unconventional, such as the Ramanujan prime and the Ramanujan theta function, and these have inspired a vast amount of further research.[3] The Ramanujan Journal, an international publication, was launched to publish work in all areas of mathematics influenced by his work.[4]

Stephen Wright and Typoz like this.
  2. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

Ramanujan's story is in itself strong evidence that the mind does not exist solely inside the brain - developing entirely within one lifetime, and destroyed at death.

Even now - so many years later - there is a mathematical society dedicated to exploring his maths:

http://www.ramanujanmathsociety.org/

The various forms of savants (many of whom are autistic or suffer brain damage at some point) must be a strong clue as to the reality of mind.

David

Jim_Smith likes this.
  3. It is interesting that something as objective and concrete as a mathematical formula would be perceived by means of the flexible-reality of a dream. That might have implications for how we understand NDE's. "Flexible-reality" might be a fundamental characteristic of ... something: disembodied existence, or disembodied communication.

4. E.Flowers

E.Flowers New

And speaking of savants... Are there any updates about Dr. Powell's work?

Last I heard, she was being funded by Dr. Chopra.