Mod+ Members Discuss Their Personal Paranormal Experiences

Come on guys! Sciborg and I can't be the only ones!

I'll share another.

It's sort of a multi-parter. I mentioned that my aunt is a medium and my cousin sees apparitions. Well, my mom is sort of a medium also, but not as "well developed" as my aunt. My brother has seen apparitions as well as one of my other male cousins, but they don't talk about it much.
So, first part: I was back in SLC visiting my family a couple years ago for the holidays and my mom, my brother and my husband and I were sitting around, chatting. My mom then says one of my other male cousins who died from cancer earlier that year was there. I expressed some disbelief. I told her, if it's him, have him reiterate an occurrence that happened between he and I. That's all I told her. I told her he should know what I'm talking about and if he could tell her right then, maybe I would believe.

Background: when I was 7 or 8, my mom, brother and I took a trip to Disneyland with one of my aunt's and my three cousins. This now deceased cousin was the oldest of us kids, and he was kind of a jerk. He and I never really got along. On this trip, we stayed at the Candy Cane Hotel. One morning, my mom and my aunt went somewhere, just the two if them and left this oldest cousin in charge of us. We went swimming in the hotel pool, which is a big deal for a kid, but he wouldn't let me in the "big pool". He made me and my youngest cousin stay in the two foot kiddie pool. We were both pretty mad and he was just kind of being a bully about it. I know, seems silly now, but to a kid it was a big deal. Plus he was always doing stuff like this to me and this was kind of one of those pivotal moments for me In he and I's relationship.

So, I'm sitting there thinking of this specific event. And my mom says she's seeing candy canes, but didn't know what it meant. Then she said it had something to do with a trip. And starts to give more details to the point that I was stunned. I said "are you serious?". And all of a sudden there is this rush of energy, and my brother and I look at each other and at the same time say "holy crap"! And he asked me if I felt that and both me and my mom said yes. My husband felt nothing. She then proceeded to communicate with him for a bit until he pulled away.

Now, I know on the surface what this sounds like. My mom booked and paid for the vacation and everything, so of course she knew where we stayed and that we went on a vacation together. But, this wasn't the only vacation we all took together and my mom didn't know that the incident took place at the pool and that it was so important to me.

Like I said, this cousin and I never really got along. As adults we could be cordial, but I always thought he was an egotistical jerk. Certainly not someone I would care to hear from after their death. So, there could have been many things she could have brought up other than this one trip.

It is so hard to explain what we felt. Energy is the closest I can get. And love was there too. It made me cry, and again this is not someone I liked when they were alive. And the fact that my mom, my brother and I all felt the same thing at the same time.

Part two: flash forward to last weekend. My husband and I were sitting together having coffee and chatting. We were talking about his parents coming to visit soon and the fact that my mother in law is in poor health. This led to a discussion about his maternal grandmother (who is no longer of this mortal coil) and her first heart attack and when she was in the hospital. He reiterated the story his grandmother told about how angels would come out of this thing that looked like a bee hive. And how sometimes when she was sleeping the angels would blow in her face to wake her and let her know my mother in law would be there soon to see her. My husband said he had his doubts about this because his grandmother was not a good person in life, and was abusive to his mom. He said he didn't believe his grandmother loved his mom.

So, this whole time he's talking about his grandmother, I start feeling the "energy" or whatever. Something I call "the buzzies". It's sort of just there, but the moment he says he doubts she loved his mom, boom, the feeling is almost overwhelming. I'm sitting there thinking "I'm not going to say anything, this is nothing", but it just gets stronger and stronger to the point where I feel absolutely compelled to tell him what is happening. By now I'm shaking pretty bad and heart is beating out of my chest. As I'm telling him what is happening, I get this thought "tell him she loved his mother very much". Again, it's like a thought, not a voice, and I don't see anything. So I tell him and I get the thought "tell him she loved him too but he already knew that, it's important he knows she loved her". So I tell him my thought and he kind of looks around and says, "I'm sorry I didn't go to your funeral". At which time another thought comes in "it doesn't matter, that's not important, just let him know she loved her, that's what's important". So I do and the feeling almost immediately starts to recede until it's soon gone.

So, I cannot say I fully trust my own experience. I'm not a medium, have never been and have never really had an interesting in being one. So, I don't know. It seemed like just thoughts that would come into my head, so it's very well likely it was just my own thoughts, but the coinciding feeling was strange. It felt like the same feeling as what happened when supposedly my cousin contacted my mom.
I have never had anything like that happen before (or since).

I have had certain "intuitions" about people before, but nothing major other than this one time, my brother, his wife and I went out to dinner. Upon leaving the restaurant, as we were exiting, a woman and two men were entering. One of the men held open the door for my sister in law and I with a smile. I looked at him to say thank you, and boom, I got the worst feeling, like a billion alarm bells went off simultaneously saying "danger, danger". My sister and law look at each other and she says "did you feel that?!" And we proceeded to compare what we experienced, which was essentially the same thing. We didn't know this man or anything about him, but again, the fact that both of us felt similar feelings at the same time toward the same person was what makes me think it wasn't just "in my head".

I've sometimes wondered if I may be sort of clairambient, but I'm not really sure if I believe in that stuff.

I don't know. Experience is a difficult thing. When your surrounded by a culture that tells you none of this stuff is real and it happens to you, you kind if learn to dismiss it or question wether you really experienced what you think you did.

Sorry for the super long post.

The most up-to-date version of this information is at:
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2015/02/consciousness-beyond-hypnogogic-state.html
Consciousness Beyond the Hypnogogic State

If you watch the activity of your mind as you drift off to sleep, you might notice going into a state where you experience vivid imagery and the mind wanders wildly from one thing to another. This is the hypnogogic state. I have a page on my web site that discusses how to recognize this state, how to enter it using relaxation exercises, and how to use it to experience psychic phenomena.

If you learn to recognize the hypnogogic state and practice being in it, you many find that it leads to another deeper state. I call this deeper state the "beyond-the-hypnogogic" state. The vivid imagery stops and one feels more alert but it is not normal consciousness. The body is deeply relaxed as in sleep and the mind does not wander.

There is a simple method you can use while in the hypnogogic state to help bring on this deeper state. When you are in the hypnogogic state, each time you experience some imagery or your mind wanders, try to describe as best you can in a few words what you experienced. For example, if you experienced imagery of a grocery store you could describe it as "seeing a grocery store". The mental activity in the hypnogogic state arises from the unconscious. By describing that mental activity as best you can you practice bringing the conscious awareness into the level of the unconscious. As you do this, it becomes easier to move consciousness beyond the hypnogogic state.

The beyond-the-hypnogogic state is similar to other states you may have read about. Robert Monroe wrote about a state he called "mind awake, body asleep" that is favorable to inducing out-of-body experiences. In the Buddhist tradition, there is a state called "boundless space" or The Base of Infinite Space. There is also the feeling of limitlessness in the beyond-the-hypnogogic state. In Himalayan Yoga, there is a recognized state between dreaming and sleep called Aladani, that also seems similar to this state. If you are interested in out-of-body experiences, Buddhist meditation, or Himalayan Yoga, you might find that practicing being in the hypnogogic state is a short cut to attaining these states. Since the hypnogogic state is something most people enter naturally as they fall asleep, it is relatively easy to learn to enter. The page on my web site that discusses this state explains how to recognize it and how to learn to enter it by doing relaxation exercises.

Last edited:
??? Credits?
Yes I'd forget about the credits reference Vault. You're not missing anything.

Very interesting experience. Now I will share one.

For most of my life growing up on a housing estate (I guess it would be a project in the US) near Manchester in the UK we had only one neighbour. She and my mum were good friends and she had a large family. So we got to become very friendly.

In time she developed cancer and passed away. On the day of her funeral we were in church and it was packed. At the front one or two of her kids were reading out pieces about their mum, I was thinking how well they were doing as they would have been unaccustomed to addressing such a large group. They'd be in their forties then as was I. I was awake but not really concentrating but I could pick out what was being said, and my mum was sat next to me. The Church was silent apart from the person speaking right at the front. We were about half way back and some way toward the centre, so sort of surrounded by people.

Suddenly I heard a loud rough laugh, as from a smoker. My neighbour (deceased) had a very rough laugh and was prone to using pretty rough language too lol. I then heard the words "f*ing hell Obiwan, look at all these people!".

Firstly I say I heard the voice; so much so I snapped my head round. It appeared to come from just over my right shoulder,I was sitting at the time. The words were clearly directed to me, sounded very happy that so many had turned out for the funeral and maybe a little surprised. At the time, although at her funeral, I wasn't thinking of her, my mind was sort of in neutral. It was unmistakeable. I asked my mum if she'd heard that and she asked "What?" - I said I'd have to explain later. I could barely keep from laughing out loud.

Now the voice seemed to me completely real. I registered it like I would hear any person speaking to me. It appeared to come from outside me. There was a sense of a real person behind it, It's hard to convey the complete full nature of the event but I have never experienced anything like it before or since and I have been to a number of funerals. As soon as I realised what I had heard and focused my attention, the moment seemed to have passed.

Though I wouldn't expect anyone else to accept this as evidential, I am pretty confident it was what it appeared to me to be. A very curious experience.

Last edited:
I recently had a very strong deja-vu (or premonition) experience as I was driving and approaching an intersection. I vividly saw my car turning right instead of going straight about 30 meters before I had actually arrived at the intersection. I normally would had gone straight. However, this time I turned right, as I was probably avoiding an accident.

. Even when I was a hardcore materialist I had trouble reconciling what I saw and the feelings it engendered.

Even if you aren't a materialist these experiences can be difficult to fit into "reality". We are taught to believe that these things aren't real and if they happen to you, something is wrong with your brain. And that scares people. No one wants to be branded as crazy, so they keep it to themselves.

Just posting some of my experiences here has kind of forced me to pay them some attention, and in doing do has made me realize I've had more anomalous experiences than I had really thought. Even my husband who is a "non-believer" I guess you could say, has had a few things happen to him.

I think we all learn to compartmentalize these experiences and pretend like they don't really have an affect on our reality or our world view. We simply don't know what to do with them, so we ignore them until something happens and we can no longer ignore it.

This is why it's such a pity that science won't take any of this seriously. Instead they just tell you it's all in your head, and think that alone is sufficient explanation. So then one really has no choice but to look to the experts in "woo" for answers.

Even if you aren't a materialist these experiences can be difficult to fit into "reality". We are taught to believe that these things aren't real and if they happen to you, something is wrong with your brain. And that scares people. No one wants to be branded as crazy, so they keep it to themselves.

Just posting some of my experiences here has kind of forced me to pay them some attention, and in doing do has made me realize I've had more anomalous experiences than I had really thought. Even my husband who is a "non-believer" I guess you could say, has had a few things happen to him.

I think we all learn to compartmentalize these experiences and pretend like they don't really have an affect on our reality or our world view. We simply don't know what to do with them, so we ignore them until something happens and we can no longer ignore it.

This is why it's such a pity that science won't take any of this seriously. Instead they just tell you it's all in your head, and think that alone is sufficient explanation. So then one really has no choice but to look to the experts in "woo" for answers.

I think part of the problem with a strictly 'scientific' approach may be that of replication. Many of the phenomena reported just don't seem to be reproducible in a controlled environment these days (that doesn't seem to have been the case historically). Even in the past people had lots of failed attempts to observe phenomena between their successful efforts.

Observation is certainly part of the discipline of science, and many of the earlier investigators were leading scientists of their day and reported their observations in some detail.

Plus there probably isn't much money or kudos in it so no real motive for devoting one's career to it.

Last edited:
Would anyone be interested in trying out a dream experiment? PM me and I'll start a private conversation with those who are interested.

Perhaps, you can provide some details as to what's involved during the experiment? That might generate more interest. Just a thought. I know nothing about these experiments.

Perhaps, you can provide some details as to what's involved during the experiment? That might generate more interest. Just a thought. I know nothing about these experiments.
I've participated in a few dream contests at a conference, and it's quite fun. There are some different options, but I was thinking of doing a precognitive dreaming contest in which I would chose a picture from a pool of pictures after a night in which the participants recorded their dreams. Then I would post the group of pictures the target was chosen from and participants could let me know which picture seemed to correspond to their dreams.After that was done, I would tell everyone which picture was the actual target.

It's similar to doing ganzfeld or RV, but I think dream work really opens you up to psi and helps you understand it better. We all dream, so it's a good introduction to psi experiences.

I'd be willing to participate in the dream experiment
OK, I'd add you and Doppelganger to the list.

I'd like to do the experiment this weekend (Starting Feb 20 2015). That means recording your dreams on Friday night, posting the dream content on Saturday, seeing the pool of pictures on Sunday (when the target will have been randomly chosen from the pool of pictures), and finding out the actual target on Monday once you've had the chance to choose which target seemed to best relate to your dreams.

I'm doing this in a conversation (group pm) format, so anyone who wants to participate needs to ask to be added to the conversation.

Note: If Friday is a bad night to record dreams, do it on an earlier night this week with the same intention of asking for information about the upcoming target

Last edited:
I think part of the problem with a strictly 'scientific' approach may be that of replication. Many of the phenomena reported just don't seem to be reproducible in a controlled environment these days (that doesn't seem to have been the case historically). Even in the past people had lots of failed attempts to observe phenomena between their successful efforts.

Observation is certainly part of the discipline of science, and many of the earlier investigators were leading scientists of their day and reports their observations in some detail.

Plus there probably isn't much money or kudos in it so no real motive for devoting one's career to it.

I agree, I've heard it before and it seems to have been repeated here that most experiences are spontaneous.

OK, I'd add you and Doppelganger to the list.

I'd like to do the experiment this weekend (Starting Feb 20 2015). That means recording your dreams on Friday night, posting the dream content on Saturday, seeing the pool of pictures on Sunday (when the target will have been randomly chosen from the pool of pictures), and finding out the actual target on Monday once you've had the chance to choose which target seemed to best relate to your dreams.

I'm doing this in a conversation (group pm) format, so anyone who wants to participate needs to ask to be added to the conversation.

Note: If Friday is a bad night to record dreams, do it on an earlier night this week with the same intention of asking for information about the upcoming target

You can add me too. Sounds interesting.

Reactions: K9!
Back