Mod+ Members Discuss Their Personal Paranormal Experiences

Good mediums will not ask for information, and certainly wouldn't ask who you'd like to connect with. If anything they will positively deter you from offering anything other than 'yes' and 'no' to pieces of information they give you and they should not be asking questions other than whether you understand what they have said.

Exactly. That's why I was skeptical about my reading personally. When he read me I could tell he was struggling to get a reading as to who wanted to communicate with me. So, he resorted to asking me questions such as "Who do you want to communicate with?" So, to me ... that was a fail.

However, when he read my brother-in-law and my wife, things seem different. He didn't have to ask those questions. It seemed more fluid. Yes ... it would be nice if he mentioned the Kool-Aid specifically. However my mother-in-law (according to my wife) also liked grape popsicles when she was on her death bed as well. It seemed she liked anything grape. Oh! And another tidbit is that no one mentioned to the medium she was in the hospital or even how she died before he started asking about smelling grapes. Duh ... perhaps I should mentioned that too. Sorry ... I'm still processing this.

Anyway, allow me to add to this later. Perhaps you may find it more interesting when I add more details to the overall reading.

Okay. Here's more. I just had a conversation with my wife recapping the events that transpired from the reading on Saturday. Now that a couple days had past, I think we may have a clearer picture as the emotions from the reading have subsided. We have come to conclusion that the medium was not lead in any way ... especially on the onset of the reading. Her brother and she were very good about not giving anything away and letting the medium flow through his thoughts as the information was being presented to him through my dead mother-in-law.

The following statements were determined all TRUE when the medium presented them to my brother-in-law (BIL). He only responded with "yes" answers. They are as follows ...
(1) The medium mentioned to my BIL that he was born very pre-maturely (he was kind of a miracle baby) .
(2) He stated that my BIL had two visitations (apparitions) of his mom once when he was very young and the other when he was a teenager (He only told his sister - my wife - and his wife that story).
(3) He has an older brother and sister (it wasn't established to the medium that my wife was his sister until he said "yes" at that point).
(4) This was the grape scent story where my wife got involved in the process because everyone looked puzzled when he mentioned smelling grapes. My wife was the only one who knew the grape Kool-Aid and Popsicle story. So, my wife had to explain the story about her mom being in the hospital and drinking grape Kool-aid and eating grape popsicles during her last days. Again ... this said story my wife told AFTER the medium mentioned smelling grapes. But it still wasn't revealed to him how she died until (5). Also, see the previous posts for details on the grape scent story.
(5) He then proceeded to say that her blood was bad when she died (she died of two forms of leukemia and that was presented to him by my wife AFTER he stated that about her blood).

Anyway the rest of the message the medium was presenting to my BIL were apparently actual messages from his mom. Nothing to really verify here but worth noting simply because it was emotional. The quotes represent what his mom said through the medium. He was simply trying to repeat what she was trying to communicate to him. Anyway, I am paraphrasing a bit...
(1) "I have been looking after you all these years and will continue to." "I've also been looking after your brother and sister." (See (3) above)
(2) "Im sorry you never got to know me as you were only a baby when I passed on. However, if you want to really know me ... just look at who you become. You are very much like me."
(3) "I'm so proud of you" (Something like that)
(4) "Oh ... I know you have free will but I tried to get you and your wife together because I liked her. And you two are soulmates"
(5) "You're two kids - my grandkids - are beautiful. I look after them too.
(6) (Also see (2) above) "I appeared to you because I'm trying to protect you from doing something stupid." (My BIL was a teenager and was getting drunk in the backyard the second time she appeared to him. He always thought that could have been an hallucination because of his intoxication. But I think he may have a different perspective on that now).

So, that's pretty much what my wife and I could recall. Again, I think my BIL and my wife did a pretty good job not leading the medium on as he was presenting the above statements. I'm still 99% convinced that my mother-in-law was there based on the evidence (or whatever you call it). However, I continue to be open to any opinions. So fire away. :)

Last edited:
Hi Morning Fog

That's very interesting. In context I can see there was a lot more to this than simply the grape comment. The premature birth remark is a good example. Given that the medium was passing this information to you without asking questions I can see why you were impressed.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I had three unusual coincidences today within about ten minutes of each other.

I went for a walk to a pond near my house to look at the wildlife. The first coincidence was that my back started to hurt during the walk and I found a cane lying on the side of the road that I could have used if I had needed it. I thanked THEM but said that I thought I could get along without it.

The second coincidence was that I dropped my pencil as I was putting it in my pocket and it fell on a plastic spoon that was lying on the ground. Because it fell on the spoon, it made a noise that caught my attention and I wouldn't have heard it fall otherwise and I would have lost it. It is a nice mechanical pencil that I've had for many years and I would not have liked to lose it. I carry the pencil and a small notebook so that I can write down anything unusual that I see so I know what time of year to look for it again in future years.

The third coincidence was that I saw both a beaver and a muskrat close up. I've seen animals swimming in the pond on different occasions and I thought they were beavers, which are similar to muskrats. You can tell them apart because a beaver has a flat tail and when a beaver swims you don't see the tail, but when a muskrat swims you can see its tail swishing from side to side behind it. Basing my identification on that, I thought I had seen a beaver in the pond several times over the years ... but I had doubts ... despite the presence of a few tree stumps that looked as if they had been gnawed by a beaver, beavers are much less common than muskrats here and there is no beaver lodge or dam visible in the pond. But today there was a dead beaver that had been hit by a car on the road along the pond and the flat tail was unmistakable so I now knew there were definately beavers in the area. During the walk I also saw a young (small) muskrat swimming close to the shore of the pond so I could get a very good look at it and see the tail moving as it swam. So that helped me confirm my past sightings were probably beavers as I had thought.

It was also strange was that I saw the cane, dropped my pencil and saw the muskrat all within about ten minutes or so but the entire walk took me about 3.5 hours.

I don't know why I had three synchronicities while on my walk when most of the time when I take a walk, I don't have any. Maybe it is because I have been doing a lot of samatha meditation recently and that has something to do with it?

A weird dream...
When I was in college, one night before I went to sleep, I prayed for a dream. It had been a while since I'd had a significant meaningful memorable dream. I dreamed that this girl made a pass at a guy named Jim, but he rejected her. She then turned things around to make it seem like he had hit on her and she rejected him and she was the victim of discrimination. I woke up laughing at how ridiculous she was being. I thought how on earth could this dream mean anything? Later that day, a female acquaintance asked if I'd like to go have dinner and talk. I said ok. She then unloads about the problems she's having with a mutual acquaintance named Jim and how he was interested in her, but she wasn't but some people warned him about her and she was the victim of unfair treatment and gossip. I didn't know about any of this until she told me. I got really tired of listening to her complain about Jim and her unfair treatment so I tried to change the subject to anything else. I started telling her about the dream I'd had the night before and all of a sudden I started laughing because I realized my dream was an exact explanation of what was going on here with her and Jim.

----------

A few years ago I was doing some soul searching trying to figure out what my calling in life is and a synchronicity/answered prayer occurred. In this one week I started a class at my church on spiritual gifts. In the first class I was instructed to think about the three things I like most to do - the things I would do with my life if money were no object. More than anything I wanted to write... Also to teach, and finally to create art (I was making a side business out of photography at the time). This is all a bit odd since I'm an engineer. I also wanted to be able to heal people and prophesy. I prayed specifically that someone would lay their hands on me and tell me what I was called to do just as Paul laid his hands on Timothy and gave him his calling. At the end of the week on a Friday night my church had a worship night that I attended. There were some visitors there from a nearby college. I was telling one about a health problem causing me great pain. He said, "Oh you need to have ____ pray for you." So I get introduced to this guy I've never met before and tell him only that I needed prayer for my painful hips. I mentioned nothing about my week of soul-searching to figure out my life's calling. He lays his hands on my shoulders for a minute and says nothing. All of a sudden he begins, "You're a writer. You're a teacher. You'll see heaven opened and paint pictures of it. It is on you. God's love is on you. You've got it. You have the gift of healing and prophecy." Then he went on to pray for my hips which never got miraculously healed although a year ago I got them both replaced and no longer have any pain.

---------

After Skeptikoing for a while I decided to experiment with a psychic that I drive by on my way to work every day. I tried my best to only give yes or no answers and not give any free information. She gave me very accurate information about myself and my situation which is a little too personal to share here.

That's enough for one post :)

Last edited:
I once had a Tarot reading with a medium friend, Cindy, and she used the cards to get in a state of mind when Spirit would give her messages, as she believed. I had doubts as to whether Spirit were involved, as an open-minded sceptic. I have had several types of paranormal experiences, mainly table tilting communication, but this reading was quite intriguing, to me anyway.

It was very interesting, with some survival evidence, but Cindy had asked Spirit for something different and special this time, as she now knew me very well, and I needed evidence of Spirit unknown to her. Part of her reading went:
“ I am given a book, Cold Comfort Farm, If you read it, you will find something very relevant to your life in it.”
I decided this was worth researching. I had not heard of the book, and neither had Cindy, whose honesty I trusted. This phrase seemed to trigger off a string of very strange coincidences, or was Spirit behind it? Again, the ambiguity which is often found in the psychic.
I found that there was a book of that name, by Stella Gibbons. It was published in 1932, and was described as the comic classic of rural life. When I bought a copy and read it through, on page 25 there was a section of a paragraph which seemed out of context with the theme of the book, which had nothing to do with the psychic.
“ Perhaps Flora would not mind using the large attic, which was now used as a meeting-room for the Orient-Star-in-the- West Society on Tuesdays, and for the Spiritist Investigator’s League on Fridays. She hoped that Flora was not asceptic, for manifestationssometimes occurred in the attic, and even a trace of scepticism in the atmosphere of the room spoiled the conditions, and prevented phenomena, the observations of which provided the Society with such valuable evidence in favour of Survival.”
I was a sceptic, I was an investigator in to Spirit, and I was sitting in circle on Friday evenings at the time. I was thinking of getting involved in physical mediumship.

This really made me think. Assume that Cindy had never heard of, or read, the book Cold Comfort Farm, and assume that she just happened to invent the book title which actually happened to exist. The next coincidence was the passage which clearly stood out as special for me. So, an imagined book, and a lucky significance, for my evidence of Survival. There was more to come.
A little later, Cindy selected some novels at random at the Library, and found, to her astonishment, that one of them was about a television company which went to the West Country to film… ‘Cold Comfort Farm’ .
It further so happened that when Cindy and her husband visited me on New Year’s Day, a T.V. film of Cold Comfort Farm was screened.
Two years later my divorce was completed, and I told the story to my new wife. Oh, she said, the producer of that TV film was a schoolfriend, Alison Gilbey, and she actually wrote to me to tell me it was on, beforehand !
Later, we just happened to bump in to Alison Gilbey in Tescos, when she was visiting my home town.
What was behind all this? Pure coincidence? Synchronicity? Psychic precognition?
Or could it really have been people in the Spirit World, impressing Cindy to speak the message, which meant nothing to her? They knew that I would read the book, which they had pre-selected because of the phrase which made me think. They can see a little ahead at times, and knew they could impress Cindy to select the book at the Library, that the book was going to be filmed for TV, and that I would meet and marry Joanna, a friend of the producer.

Which is the most likely explanation? It was still ambiguous, as precognition is hard to accept, but even if later events were coincidental, that does not explain why Cindy gave me the book title, in the context of trying to prove Survival to me via a reading, and the topic of Survival was in the book.
Select your own interpretation I guess!
lightbulb.png

Hello everyone.
Thank you for sharing some of your lives in this way.

I'd like to share something that happened to me more than 20 years ago. Or maybe it started in my mothers womb.
I was born with a hemangioma in my left calf. Something like a tumor of blood-vessels. The doctors didn't want to operate my leg, in case they would hurt the calf muscle, but said that the legs might grow differently because of this. They did grow differently - my left leg turned out to be three centimetres shorter than my right leg.
When I was 14 years old I was given a couple of shoes that were modified to correct this difference in length. Then a couple of weeks after I received the shoes, I prayed to God when I went to bed (I was a devout christian at that time). I prayed that if there was no meaning in the left leg being shorter, that God would make the legs become equally long. I then went to bed and, as I used to do, rubbed my feet against each other, feeling the ankles slide one above the other. I then folded my knees drawing my feet closer to the rest of my body and started to feel tingeling sensation in my left leg. Sort of like carbonic acid, moving around in my calf. This feeling went on for maybe half a minute or a minute and then subsided. I then stretched out my legs again and wasn't sure what to believe when my ankles actually touched each other.
A couple of weeks or so later I visited a doctor (an orthopedist) at my local hospital. She measured my legs and confirmed that the difference of the lengths of the legs had gone from being three centimetres to be one centimetre (she had the records of the earlier measurements). I told her what I had experienced and she said that she could not explain what had happened in any other way.

I think when that leg grew might have been the happiest day of my life (so far). At that time I saw what had happened as a proof that my christian faith was true. Now I don't see it that way, but I still can't get away from the fact that there must have been some kind of mind over matter interaction going on. However, I certainly feel blessed to have experienced this.

I will generally say that I seem to be very non-psychic. I tend to fall on the believer side of this debate for quite different reasons. However there are two incidents that come to mind.

1) At a time when we would return from work at rather random times, we had a cat who would pop round our neighbour and spend the evening with her until we arrived back. He was always in the garden waiting for us, and our neighbour explained that he would get up and ask to be let out just before we returned home! This seemed very unlikely to me at the time, because we drove a very ordinary car (so the noise would not be obvious), and our cat must have been begging to get out at least a minute or two before we were any where near home (our neighbour was a bit slow on her feet). I didn't believe it then, but now I think it was a perfect example of an animal anticipating the return of its human - just as Rupert Sheldrake has explored. He was the only cat that did this, and Sheldrake discovered that about 1/3 of cats do this.

2) Much more recently, I had a rather strange incident. My partner was intending to make a journey in her car, and I kept on thinking about checking her tires. On the morning when she was going to go, I went out of my way to take the car down to the garage. When I looked at one of the tires, it had obviously cracked, and would almost certainly have shredded on the motorway! I drove very slowly to a repair garage to get the tire replaced, and she missed her appointment. At the time we were both quite stunned by this event, and I still feel the peculiar urgency of my decision to check her tires was extremely odd.

David

Two little coincidences/synchronicities happened recently. My girlfriend planned a vacation for us which is where I've been the past week. She kept the destinations a complete surprise from me until we actually landed. One destination on our road trip was Crater Lake, Oregon, which I didn't recall ever hearing about before. This morning I realized my desktop background pic is of Crater Lake Oregon. I change my desktop background maybe once every year or two. I happened to change it on June 1st (1-1/2 months ago) because on that day I thought my hard drive was about to crash, so I went through my files and saved off the important ones. In doing so, I rediscovered the crater lake pic which I had saved two years previous from a NASA photo of the day. ....So I randomly changed my desktop background to a picture of crater lake at the same time that my girlfriend was planning our trip there.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130619.html

Also, right at the beginning of our Pacific Northwest road trip in the rental car, we got a slow leak in the back right tire. I had to put air in it every day. When we got back to Texas, my truck had a flat in the back right tire.

Last edited:
I started reading through this thread again, and realized that I am not yet allowed to write here since I've written to few posts. I apologize for not being more observant and hope I didn't offend anyone. I'll come back when I've written more posts on other threads :)

Lots of great stories here, thanks everybody for sharing. The stories of verifiable mediumship, of the sensing of danger and/or passed on loved ones, of objects being hidden for protective purposes, of answered prayers especially involving miraculous physical transformation, of synchronicities and of animal connections are very powerful. Elessar, I'd love to read more about your experiences if you'd be willing to add me to your private conversation.

I've been having (almost entirely negative) spiritual experiences on and off over the past fifteen years, but the problem with sharing them, other than that many of them are very personal, is that none of them involve any objective or third-party corroborating evidence, so it would be too easy for the reader to dismiss them with "Nah, dude, it's all in your mind". In any case, you can get a sense of the nature of some of them through the post I made recently in another thread.

So much for the bulk of any personal paranormal experiences I can share. Too bad.

I can think of only two other experiences that might make the grade, although they're not all that impressive. The first is my one and only ouija board experience, which occurred in 1997 in rural Victoria, Australia, where I was visiting a family of fruit-picking friends, and the children of the family (around my age) suggested we try a ouija board at their friend's house - they said they had used one before with intriguing results, and I was curious. So we did, while their friend's parents were out one evening, drawing up an ad-hoc board and using an upturned glass. The objectively-verifiable inexplicable (on a materialist account) thing that happened is that as soon as we called for a spirit to communicate with us, a strong wind blew through the room, totally spooking us all out. Why was this inexplicable and spooky? Because the house was entirely shut up: all of its doors and windows were closed, and there was no way for a wind (especially one of that strength) to get in.

I would never use a ouija board again, I have heard too many stories of negative things happening to people who played around with one of these devices. Perhaps it is possible to use them safely, I really don't know, but for those who don't know what they're doing, as I and my friends did not, my strong advice is: do not use ouija boards; you are potentially opening yourself up to dangerous and malevolent forces and entities of which you know very little.

The second experience is somewhat less objectively-verifiable, but a lot more positive. Hooray.

Sometimes, I struggle with excessive consumption of alcohol. Some years back, I had reached a point where I really, really wanted to quit and clean up my life, but no matter what I tried (mostly "willpower"), the cravings kept me chained. I was at that time in communication with a wise online friend who was spiritually developed and had a personal spiritual toolbox, and, when he saw that I was serious about wanting to quit and clean up, he suggested that I pray out loud to God, His angels and any helper beings, saying exactly what I'd told him - that I wanted to quit, and to clean up my life, and that I requested their help in doing so. He had other advice but it's not so relevant to this story, so I'll omit it. In any event, after our conversation, I did exactly that. It was a sincere prayer, and it had an immediate effect: from the moment I finished it, the cravings for alcohol (which, recall, had been so strong until then as to prevent me daily from quitting even though I really wanted to) vanished, and I never experienced anything beyond the mildest of temptations for another two years (at which point, I'm sorry to say, I took up drinking again, but, whilst that's sad, it's also beside the point of this story).

Of course, it might be easy for the reader to decide that this was a placebo effect: I believed that the prayer would work, and so it did, and, of course, I have no hard refutation of that other than that it doesn't match with my experience; in fact, I didn't pray with the expectation that it would work, I simply took my friend's advice and prayed sincerely. It might then be objected that regardless of whether I had a conscious expectation, the ritual primed my subconscious with a personal intent which had the effect of eliminating the cravings. Again, I have no hard refutation of this, but it doesn't match with my understanding of this experience; I would say that at best it's only part of the story. It is not very convincing to me (on a materialist account) that conscious, willpower-based attempts to quit utterly failed whereas a brief ritual in which I wasn't particularly consciously invested - beyond sincerity - would result in such stark success.

Anyhow, as I said, these experiences aren't all that impressive, but they're the best I've got with any degree of objective evidence: a paranormal wind felt by others and two years of sobriety.

Last edited:
No, I wanted to in the daylight, but just never did. Maybe something was telling me subconsciously not to.
My great-grandfather immigrated to the U.S. to work in the mines in Utah. He died in a mining accident. I'm sure he wasn't the only one. Maybe you were picking up on the emotions of the people who died in the mines in the past?

I can't speak for the others, but I was thinking of allowing any sort of experience that could best fit in a post-materialist worldview. Altered states, remote viewing, kundalini, encounters with light beings, energy healing, automatic writing, synchronicities, ADCs-- everything ranging from nuts-and-bolts experiences to the outer fringes of the New Age movement. If the member feels it's worth sharing and going into, that's what this thread is for.

Then, very soon, we'll start a new thread: Phase 2, where we take elements from these experiences, resources like the ones you provided, threads from the other forums, and, Mythbusters-style, attempt to create our own personal experiences.

To reduce the chance for possible abuse, I was thinking of limiting the folks who can contribute here to those who have made at least 30 posts, but that would really be Alex's department, I could at best say, "Shoo fly, don't bother me."

EDIT: What the heck, I'll put it in the rules anyway. Nobody under 30... posts.

I think your 30 post rule may get abused, and it may also block people who have only lurked, but then really want to contribute to your forum. How about getting an agreement with the moderators that this forum is special, and that tighter rules apply. Initially the rule might simply be that if you object to someone they get expelled. That sounds a bit arbitrary, but it might help you to get the group going without too much hassle.

My impression is that a few people like to push rules to the absolute limit, and that it is easy to end up wasting a lot of time justifying decisions with them!

David

Last edited:
This is from a while ago, but probably worth a share given my often cynical take on the paranormal:

My mother's last words were an exclamation - "Everyone's alive! Everyone's alive!" - said looking past me, trying to get me to understand something that seemed incredibly important to the nature of reality.

One of the things that drives my interest in the paranormal.

My twin brother , who I was very close to , being twins off course.
I kept his analog watch . A few years later the batteries had gone.
I checked the time the hands had stopped on - It was the exact time he had passed on, as I had recorded in my diary.
it also had the same date of month on the inner small window.

I suspect by experiences were coincidence, but there is one that stands out very clearly. About five years ago, I was asleep and dreaming. In this dream, I was standing in a city facing the ocean and there was a massive tidal wave heading straight for me and the city. Something in my mind said I had to stop it, so I held out my hands and focused all my mental energy on trying to stop it. I was able to push the wave away briefly, but in the end failed and it engulfed me and the city. I woke up that morning and checked the news to that Japan had been struck by the tsunami. That is the only time something like that has happened to me.

Not really a "paranormal" experience. But a brief taste of another "dimension."

I was lying in bed recently in that perfect combination of bodily exhaustion and mental alertness. Already I had a couple of those instances where one feels the "energy body" jar back into place upon startling awake for apparently no reason. So I knew something might be up.

Instantly I find myself standing in a room, in front of a table. It is rather dark, but I can see everything there is to see. But the quality and quantity of my "senses" is beyond description. It is the "realer than real." The best analogy remains the difference between analog TV from the 50's as compared to today's 4K sets. My consciousness is utterly unfiltered.

There is only a small rectangular bowl on the table, black and low-lipped. In the bowl are small, perhaps centimeter square pieces of some kind of raw flesh. I am eating a piece, not entirely enjoying the sensation.

I have a quick but powerful longing for both my wife and my mother, as if I won't be seeing them again.

Then I am back. I open my eyes in bed and am shocked by the difference in the quality of "awareness."

I'd recently seen several references in book's (including Kripal's latest) suggesting that perhaps we who are living in this material dimension on Earth are "the dead." And that those who are living after the death of the body are actually "the living." I'd been mulling over that idea for a few days time when this brief bit of traveling happened.

Another interesting aspect is the flesh eating. Imbibing or eating "on the other side" apparently conveys some as yet unknown meaning.

Not really a "paranormal" experience. But a brief taste of another "dimension."

I was lying in bed recently in that perfect combination of bodily exhaustion and mental alertness. Already I had a couple of those instances where one feels the "energy body" jar back into place upon startling awake for apparently no reason. So I knew something might be up.

Instantly I find myself standing in a room, in front of a table. It is rather dark, but I can see everything there is to see. But the quality and quantity of my "senses" is beyond description. It is the "realer than real." The best analogy remains the difference between analog TV from the 50's as compared to today's 4K sets. My consciousness is utterly unfiltered.

There is only a small rectangular bowl on the table, black and low-lipped. In the bowl are small, perhaps centimeter square pieces of some kind of raw flesh. I am eating a piece, not entirely enjoying the sensation.

I have a quick but powerful longing for both my wife and my mother, as if I won't be seeing them again.

Then I am back. I open my eyes in bed and am shocked by the difference in the quality of "awareness."

I'd recently seen several references in book's (including Kripal's latest) suggesting that perhaps we who are living in this material dimension on Earth are "the dead." And that those who are living after the death of the body are actually "the living." I'd been mulling over that idea for a few days time when this brief bit of traveling happened.

Another interesting aspect is the flesh eating. Imbibing or eating "on the other side" apparently conveys some as yet unknown meaning.

Jeez, Chuck guys eating their own doings and bowls of raw flesh ....? Makes my Pam Reynolds stuff look pretty good

My mother's last words were an exclamation - "Everyone's alive! Everyone's alive!" - said looking past me, trying to get me to understand something that seemed incredibly important to the nature of reality.

Wow, powerful stuff, thanks for sharing! Reminds me a little of was it Roger Ebert's final exclamation "it's all an elaborate illusion!", even though the literal sentiment of your mother seems far more positive and uplifting!

Did you write over at another forum as "Saj"? If so, my condolences buddy.....

Back