Misogyny in UFOlogy

This is an excerpt from a recent episode of The Paracast, which is known for having a multitude of annoying ads, a few decent guests, and one particularly sexist co-host:

I've never heard of "Chris" before, but he starts off by pointing out that Leslie Kean used to date Budd Hopkins... as if that is her only credential for having an article accepted for publication by the New York Times. Never mind the fact that the woman is a published author on a variety of topics who does a fair amount of research and fact checking just like any other journalist hoping to be published in the New York Times would have to do.

Later in the podcast, John Alexander pointed out that Kean had connections within the group that gave her access to the information that was eventually published and that everything was carefully checked before it could be published. She acted in the capacity of a journalist with high-level sources. She did her job.

I wonder if Chris checks his facts before opening his mouth on the Paracast?

This was so sexist. He owes Leslie Kean an apology. It's one thing to criticize what Kean has written. It's quite another thing to suggest that she somehow is getting attention that she doesn't deserve because she " is just Budd Hopkin's girlfriend". He might as well just come out and say he thinks she slept her way to being published in the New York Times. What an asshole.

Last edited:
This is an excerpt from a recent episode of The Paracast, which is known for having a multitude of annoying ads, a few decent guests, and one particularly sexist co-host:

I've never heard of "Chris" before, but he starts off by pointing out that Leslie Kean used to date Budd Hopkins... as if that is her only credential for having an article accepted for publication by the New York Times. Never mind the fact that the woman is a published author on a variety of topics who does a fair amount of research and fact checking just like any other journalist hoping to be published in the New York Times would have to do.

Later in the podcast, John Alexander pointed out that Kean had connections within the group that gave her access to the information that was eventually published and that everything was carefully checked before it could be published. She acted in the capacity of a journalist with high-level sources. She did her job.

I wonder if Chris checks his facts before opening his mouth on the Paracast?

This was so sexist. He owes Leslie Kean an apology. It's one thing to criticize what Kean has written. It's quite another thing to suggest that she somehow is getting attention that she doesn't deserve because she " is just Budd Hopkin's girlfriend". He might as well just come out and say he thinks she slept her way to being published in the New York Times. What an asshole.
IDK re the sexism thing, I've been getting a very strange vibe from Leslie Kean lately. She jumped on the obviously fake Tom Delonge disclosure really early and really hard (go back and look at her twitter feed). this is hard to explain given that so many UFO researchers we're quick to call bullshit on the project's stated objectives and openly deep state connections.

Is anyone else talking about this?

IDK re the sexism thing, I've been getting a very strange vibe from Leslie Kean lately. She jumped on the obviously fake Tom Delonge disclosure really early and really hard (go back and look at her twitter feed). this is hard to explain given that so many UFO researchers we're quick to call bullshit on the project's stated objectives and openly deep state connections.

Is anyone else talking about this?
I would have no problem with the host of that show being critical of the content of Kean's article in the New York Times, or any of her work, just so long as he stuck to the facts of the article. He made it sound as if she slept her way into the spotlight.

I agree that the Delonge group is pretty suspicious looking. That's already been covered in a few other threads. That doesn't excuse sexist behavior by a podcaster who seems jealous of the attention a female journalist is getting after she publishes a story in the New York Times.

Chris O'Brien doesn't come across as the swiftest bunny in the forest. He's a sidekick on a UFO podcast, and perhaps he wanted more out of life. But he should get out and do something about his situation rather than being upset that someone's "girlfriend" is getting more attention than he is. Come on, if you were producing a serious news show for TV, would you bring on the sidekick from a fringe podcast as your expert, or a woman who had an article on the topic published in the New York Times?

Have you had O'Brien on your show, Alex? No. But you've interviewed Leslie Kean. Why is that? Was it because you were interested in her work? Or was it because she used to date Budd Hopkins?

When a guy suggests that a woman achieved success in her occupation because of who she dates/sleeps with/is married to, chances are pretty good that she is far more qualified for the job than he is. Because if she wasn't, that would be his starting point, not her relationship status.

Last edited: