More Global Warming 'Stuff'

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101101/full/news.2010.577.html

For most of her career, Curry, who heads the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology, has been known for her work on hurricanes, Arctic ice dynamics and other climate-related topics. But over the past year or so she has become better known for something that annoys, even infuriates, many of her scientific colleagues. Curry has been engaging actively with the climate change skeptic community, largely by participating on outsider blogs such as Climate Audit, the Air Vent and the Black¬board.​

Here is her blog:
https://judithcurry.com/

Last edited:
Where are the qualified scientists on this issue? Proponent or not. I would like to hear both sides like Steve I don't know much.

Referencing Novella and skeptics with no qualifications doesn't help anyone's case
They don't come much more qualified than this guy:
http://www.mediatheque.lindau-nobel...ver-global-warming-revisited/laureate-giaever

Of course, others will say he is a physicist, not a climatologist, so he should keep his mouth shut!

Lot's of us have scientific degrees/PhD's of one kind or another, but nobody is a climatologist as far as I know.

David

Study documents tree species' decline due to climate warming
A type of tree that thrives in soggy soil from Alaska to Northern California and is valued for its commercial and cultural uses could become a noticeable casualty of climate warming over the next 50 years, an independent study has concluded.

Yellow cedar, named for its distinctive yellow wood, already is under consideration for federal listing as a threatened or endangered species.

The study published in the journal Global Change Biology found death due to root freeze on 7 percent of the tree's range, including areas where it's most prolific. It cited snow-cover loss that led to colder soil.

Additional mortality is likely as the climate warms, researchers said.

"Lack of snow is only going to become more and more prevalent," said lead author Brian Buma, a University of Alaska Southeast assistant professor of forest ecosystem ecology.

By 2070, winter temperatures in about 50 percent of the areas now suitable for yellow cedar are expected to rise and transition from snow to more rain, according to the study.

Yellow cedar began to decline in about 1880, according to the U.S. Forest Service, and its vulnerability is viewed as one of the best-documented examples of climate change's effect on a forest tree.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2017-01-documents-tree-species-decline-due.html#jCp

Climate change battle heats up for Australian winemakers
When an unprecedented heatwave hit South Australia state, home to the world-renowned Barossa Valley winemaking region, viticulturists fretted about the impact on their grapes.

The crops survived, but the extreme weather last year was a reminder of how climate change can hurt a resurgent Aus$2 billion (US$1.5 billion) export industry boosted by Chinese thirst for Australian premium red wine.

"I've been here for 20 years ... and we're seeing more severity in the weather," winemaker James Sweetapple told AFP at his vineyard in Orange, a picturesque town 250 kilometres (155 miles) northwest of Sydney.

"The wet years are much, much wetter, the dry years are much drier and much hotter."

With record-breaking hot weather tipped to become the new "normal" in the world's fourth-largest wine exporter by value, the government and grape-growers are trialling ways to mitigate against the challenges, including pruning later and switching varieties.

Lower quality

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-12-climate-australian-winemakers.html#jCp

Rising sea level estimates require collaborative response, experts say
Policymakers and scientists must act quickly and collaboratively to help coastal areas better prepare for rising sea levels globally, say climate change experts from Princeton and Penn State universities.

Their analysis will appear Friday, Dec. 16, in the journal Science.

Recent estimates suggest that global mean sea level rise could exceed two meters by 2100. These projections are higher than previous estimates and are based on the latest understanding of how the Antarctic ice sheet has behaved in the past and how sensitive it is to future climate change. The projections pose a challenge for scientists and policymakers alike, requiring far-reaching decisions about coastal policies to be made based on rapidly evolving projections with large, persistent uncertainties.

"An effective approach to managing coastal risk should couple research priorities to policy needs, enabling judicious decision-making while focusing research on a few key questions," write co-authors Michael Oppenheimer, a professor of geosciences and international affairs in the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton, and Richard Alley, a professor of geosciences at Penn State.

The researchers say scientific developments are emerging too fast to be captured by the Intergovernmental Panelon Climate Change (IPCC) assessments. "Policy-makers are left without a means to contextualize recent estimates, which remain highly uncertain," the authors write. "But ignoring such estimates could prove disastrous."

They say waiting another few decades to decide on specific adaptations in the hope that scientific predictions will become firmer may put completion off until the last quarter of this century. At that time, actual sea level rise could be approaching two meters, with a much larger rise still to come.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-12-sea-require-collaborative-response-experts.html#jCp

Climate change behind some 2015 floods, fires, heat waves: study
Last year's heat waves across Europe and Asia, fires in Alaska, unusually sunny winters in Britain and high-tide floods in Florida were influenced by climate change, a US report showed Thursday.

But other extreme weather events could not be blamed on the burning of fossil fuels which traps gas in the atmosphere and warms the planet, said the report called "Explaining Extreme Events from a Climate Perspective."

Those for which scientists found "no climate signal" included the extreme cold in the eastern US and Canada, the late arrival of Nigeria's spring rains and heavy daily precipitation in December over Chennai, India.

The report, regularly published in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, does not cover all extreme weather events, but allows scientists to select and study certain ones of interest.

Scientists then use historical records and climate models to attempt to explain the extent of the impact of climate change in shaping them.

The latest report is based on 25 peer-reviewed research papers that examine episodes of extreme weather of 2015 over five continents and two oceans.

Some 116 scientists from 18 countries contributed to the analysis.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-12-fingerprints-weird-weather-cases.html#jCp

Why People Don't Believe In Climate Science

Part one.
Climate Science: What You Need To Know

Last edited:
I am totally 'agnostic' when it comes to this debate Michael. I admit to knowing nothing, it helps having a sort of fatalist viewpoint.

One probably simplistic question I have is: Why are the regions of ice at the poles reducing rapidly? As this is the impression I'm constantly getting from satellite photos and videos about polar bears for example.

Is this even part of the debate, does this specific example matter that much in the big picture? (It seems to matter to polar bears??)

"Anthropogenic Global Warming" is a myth. Not the fact that the world has been warming ever since the last ice age, or even that increased CO2 has a very minor role to play in that, but the whole bruhaha that it's doing so almost entirely because of our wicked human nature. The North pole is doing one thing, and the south pole is doing the opposite. Apparently, that's what happens when the world warms -- mostly naturally -- a little. Ignore the countervailing evidence, and you can create the myth.

Why would anyone want to do that? I think the answer may lie in the agenda of the New World Order: certain banking elites are wanting to use the myth to change the world in a way that increases their influence: they think they see the world in the right way and know how to change it. However, they're beginning to reap what they sowed: the world is waking up and rejecting the drive towards the flavour of global unity they've been espousing. Not that we don't need global unity, you understand, but that global unity as they envision it is the wrong way to tackle the issue.

The real battle has nothing to do with AGW. It's a Trojan horse, but luckily the Trojans have stationed a guard around it just in case the Greeks have secreted soldiers inside it. There are even murmurings that they should burn the damn thing down and have done with it. Some Trojan horses can be good things, but the AGW one, IMO, isn't.

Ignore the countervailing evidence, and you can create the myth.

It seems to me that maybe life is all a scam in a way. As I've said a lot recently, I'm at a new place where it's difficult to find a firm foothold. Everything seems to be turning from 'matter' into a strange mush that's changing my thinking in a fundamental way. It often seems that there is no right answer, and that we're put in complex situations to see our reactions.

I am coming to a more basic thinking about life, what's important and what's not. The vast majority of what we currently think of as being important really isn't.

It seems to me that maybe life is all a scam in a way. As I've said a lot recently, I'm at a new place where it's difficult to find a firm foothold. Everything seems to be turning from 'matter' into a strange mush that's changing my thinking in a fundamental way. It often seems that there is no right answer, and that we're put in complex situations to see our reactions.

I am coming to a more basic thinking about life, what's important and what's not. The vast majority of what we currently think of as being important really isn't.

Sounds promising...

You've become a philosopher.

According to someone with the initials ML such news would likely be a fabrication by the NWO to make loads of money. They nor anyone else that spouts that opinion has ever shown one itsy bitsy bit of fact to actually back that up. It ends up nothing more than an opinion based upon their perceived belief that climate change will cause them to have to change their life style. What they don't acknowledge is they will have to change if they live long enough.

This article also includes other part of the world.
Climate change to shift global pattern of mild weather

As scientists work to predict how climate change may affect hurricanes, droughts, floods, blizzards and other severe weather, there's one area that's been overlooked: mild weather. But no more.

NOAA and Princeton University scientists have produced the first global analysis of how climate change may affect the frequency and location of mild weather - days that are perfect for an outdoor wedding, baseball, fishing, boating, hiking or a picnic. Scientists defined "mild" weather as temperatures between 64 and 86 degrees F, with less than a half inch of rain and dew points below 68 degrees F, indicative of low humidity.

Knowing the general pattern for mild weather over the next decades is also economically valuable to a wide range of businesses and industries. Travel, tourism, construction, transportation, agriculture, and outdoor recreation all benefit from factoring weather patterns into their plans.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-shift-global-pattern-mild.html#jCp

Back