My experience with a medium. Feeling depressed

I just wondered since your argument, while equally valid, focused on the deconstruction of the OP and the author's apparent motivations.

When I first read it and posted the warning up top, I had a general idea that it was propaganda based partly on your comments and after I'd had some time to think about it, I realized what stood out for me.

Linda,
I can only rely on my own experience and expertise as well as common sense. The OP story from Bill just doesn't ring true because it flies in the face of how people ordinarily react to what is obviously a terrible product. It is a story full of ego massages for skeptics and is utterly contemptuous of "believers." Bill is portraying his own relatives as basically being as dumb as a post. It seems to me that we could seem them as victims of Bill's character assassination.

We've established that you fervently believe this. This isn't particularly relevant to the point I made, which was that it's not appropriate to be a dick under these circumstances, regardless. However, since you ignored this to affirm once again that you believe you are right, I'm guessing that what you are saying is that your belief that you are right makes it appropriate.

Some skeptics feel the same way, however, it seems to me that most proponents complain when they do so. I think I've seen you do so, as well. Anyway, it looks like Bill has fortunately left this thread and I think he's getting some more appropriate support privately, so hopefully this is all moot.

Linda

Cry me a river, Linda. The fact of the matter is that the OP was a blantant lie, Bill's emotional state was never compromised.

You believe this. However, it's quite possible you are wrong.

I do not jump over people who post actual personal experiences, regardless of which "camp" they belong to, but I have quite a nose for BS and will not let anyone more vulnerable fall into a trap. Hell, even after I posted the two stories side-by-side some people from the proponent side still replied to the OP with some sympathy.

It's nice to see that some people here are decent.

I have seen you drool over the Borjigin papers, which are all about correlations. And in fact, you were carrying the torch when the last one was published. Even when the other users involved in the conversation read the paper and concluded that your argument was not stated in it you carried on. So... No.

The Borjigin studies are not all about correlations. Some people mistakenly thought that based on reading the abstract (plus people were getting mixed up and looking at criticisms directed at the first study). Only a few people read the full study (two?).

Linda

I'm not going to humor you, Linda. You can try to manipulate all you want, I'm not interested in playing your game. But, before closing this exchange, I will note just how hilarious it is to imply that a study whose only "connection" to the NDE phenomena arises from the relationship that its author draws between some activity consecuence of asphixiation and it, is "not all about correlation".

Edit: syntax

Last edited:
Reactions: tim
I'm not going to humor you, Linda. You can try to manipulate all you want, I'm not interested in playing your game.

I don't know what you are going on about. Don't know what your problem is treating people as sincere.

But, before closing this exchange, I will note just how hilarious it is to imply that a study whose only "connection" to the NDE phenomena arises from the relationship that its author draws between some activity consecuence of asphixiation and it, is "not all about correlation".

Edit: syntax

Your criticism is not relevant. Please consider reading the paper.

Linda

We've established that you fervently believe this. This isn't particularly relevant to the point I made, which was that it's not appropriate to be a dick under these circumstances, regardless. However, since you ignored this to affirm once again that you believe you are right, I'm guessing that what you are saying is that your belief that you are right makes it appropriate.

Some skeptics feel the same way, however, it seems to me that most proponents complain when they do so. I think I've seen you do so, as well. Anyway, it looks like Bill has fortunately left this thread and I think he's getting some more appropriate support privately, so hopefully this is all moot.

Linda

I've long noted the skeptic's attitude that no one who disagrees with them can possibly know what they're talking about. And this is no different. Linda frames me as a prisoner of my own beliefs and biases.

It's not true. I'm really a prisoner of love.

I've long noted the skeptic's attitude that no one who disagrees with them can possibly know what they're talking about. And this is no different. Linda frames me as a prisoner of my own beliefs and biases.

It's not true. I'm really a prisoner of love.
Not people who disagree. Everyone, including me, you, and those who agree with me, are prisoners of our beliefs and biases. It's more like "because we are all prisoners of our beliefs and biases, a bit of caution may be in order before you act on your assumptions".

Linda

Not people who disagree. Everyone, including me, you, and those who agree with me, are prisoners of our beliefs and biases. It's more like "because we are all prisoners of our beliefs and biases, a bit of caution may be in order before you act on your assumptions".

Linda

I did exercise caution. I did not label this thread as a possible lie lightly. I needed to examine it and give it some thought before reaching a conclusion. And my conclusion was that it contained far too many elements of anti-psychic propaganda and appeared manipulative.

However, I thought that people should also be allowed to judge for themselves, so I felt that the best course of action was to simply comment at the top of the thread and leave it at that.

I did exercise caution. I did not label this thread as a possible lie lightly. I needed to examine it and give it some thought before reaching a conclusion. And my conclusion was that it contained far too many elements of anti-psychic propaganda and appeared manipulative.

However, I thought that people should also be allowed to judge for themselves, so I felt that the best course of action was to simply comment at the top of the thread and leave it at that.

The best course of action was to risk calling someone who is distraught and depressed a liar? And using your authority as a moderator is a reasonable way to let people "judge for themselves"?

Real nice, Craig.

Linda

Real nice, Craig.

Linda

Crocodile tears from Linda. real nice

images

Last edited:
Back