My Introduction

Hi all. I'm a novelist and ceramicist. I am 72 now, have been a seeker since my early twenties, and have traveled to India more than a dozen times to visit the tomb site of Meher Baba. I discovered Skeptiko a few years ago while working on ceramic symbols of the world's religions, to be installed in a marble monument in Meherabad. I have listened to almost every podcast, always illuminating and full of diversity. In fact, in my novel, A Dredging in Swann, due out from Blackstone in January, the hero detective has a near death experience in Iraq. I was aware of NDEs before but was made more fully cognizant of them from Alex's many interviews on Skeptiko. Here's the passage from the novel:

"The next day Seb caught an RPG fragment through his armpit into his aortic arch. When they got him to the hospital his pulse was 180 and the pressure almost gone, and then he was gone and came up out of his body and saw the doctors and nurses working over him and then went down a tunnel of glorious light, and there was his dead father, who had killed himself, now benign and kindly, and he saw his whole life go by like shuffling cards, and some others that shined, and then one of the shining ones came forward and said, you have more to do, and embraced him, and the love that went through him and around him showed Seb everything about life that he would ever know. Then he woke up in the hospital, and they sent him home."

I am currently studying Aurobindo Ghose's The Life Divine, a book in full agreement with the work of Meher Baba in God Speaks and also in Infinite Intelligence, a book recently published from a newly-discovered manuscript. It was edited by Dr. Ward Parks. Ward, incidentally, would make a fine guest on Skeptiko.

Hi all. I'm a novelist and ceramicist. I am 72 now, have been a seeker since my early twenties, and have traveled to India more than a dozen times to visit the tomb site of Meher Baba. I discovered Skeptiko a few years ago while working on ceramic symbols of the world's religions, to be installed in a marble monument in Meherabad. I have listened to almost every podcast, always illuminating and full of diversity. In fact, in my novel, A Dredging in Swann, due out from Blackstone in January, the hero detective has a near death experience in Iraq. I was aware of NDEs before but was made more fully cognizant of them from Alex's many interviews on Skeptiko. Here's the passage from the novel:

"The next day Seb caught an RPG fragment through his armpit into his aortic arch. When they got him to the hospital his pulse was 180 and the pressure almost gone, and then he was gone and came up out of his body and saw the doctors and nurses working over him and then went down a tunnel of glorious light, and there was his dead father, who had killed himself, now benign and kindly, and he saw his whole life go by like shuffling cards, and some others that shined, and then one of the shining ones came forward and said, you have more to do, and embraced him, and the love that went through him and around him showed Seb everything about life that he would ever know. Then he woke up in the hospital, and they sent him home."

I am currently studying Aurobindo Ghose's The Life Divine, a book in full agreement with the work of Meher Baba in God Speaks and also in Infinite Intelligence, a book recently published from a newly-discovered manuscript. It was edited by Dr. Ward Parks. Ward, incidentally, would make a fine guest on Skeptiko.
how awesome TVG... so glad yr here.

pls send me an email re the book so I can mention it when it's out.

Thanks, Alex. I will send a note when the book comes out. I will post some thoughts here in time. I love your work and persistence for truth.

Hi Alex,
As I mentioned, my novel, A Dredging in Swann, is coming out January 28, and in it, the hero detective, Seb Creek, has had a near death experience, which grounds his being and life. I'm writing today because I just had an essay published in The Strand Magazine which you folks might be interested in. In it, I show that despite the modern world's emphasis on noir in detective fiction, we still are beings searching for light. Here's the link:

https://strandmag.com/the-light-inside-noir/

Here's an excerpt to give you an idea of where the piece is coming from: "Because even in noir, at least one of the characters we have to hang with must be made habitable by some humanizing reluctance, even if his descent into depravity is complete." That's the theme--and the piece is fun to read besides.

Anyway, as my publicist recommends, this note is me reaching into the ethers of the internet for attention. And I think you guys are the right audience. I love your work, Alex. A deep and honest curiosity pervades it. Best, Tim Garvin

Back