Name that symbol!

Will

New
Figured, with the interests of various people on this forum, someone might be able to help me with this:

In 1998, I was obsessed with the film The Mask of Zorro. In said movie, Zorro has a medallion, and for my birthday that year, my parents gave me the closest match to that medallion that they could find. It doesn't match the one in the movie that well, truth be told, but I wear it to this day.

In the film, the symbols on the medallion represented the unique fencing style the Spaniards used in the 1700s. I have no idea what the symbols on my medallion mean, and neither has literally everyone else who's ever seen it. No one who's seen it has a huge interest in religion, spirituality, shamanism, or the occult/magick, though, and the symbols have that look to them. As some here are into this stuff (much moreso than I), I'm hoping one of you can finally clue me into what I've been wearing around my neck all this time, or at least point me to where I can find out.

The front:
medallion1_zpsb84b0422.png

The back:
medallion3_zps54eb4f20.png

Any help greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Kym
Hey Will,

It looks like the back side of your amulet is an amalgamation of elemental symbols. The triangle with the 3 points being Fire, the upside down triangle is Water, the extra line for Earth, and Air is created using the line from the upside down triangle. The combination of both main triangles symbolizes balance, harmony or unity. A triangle can also symbolize masculinity while an upside down triangle can symbolize femininity, but I don't really know what's going on here lol

Now as for the additional symbols [9] and the Roman numerals - XI XXII C CM : 11, 22, 100, 900 I really don't know why they are added if the geometric symbols are elemental. The 9 just confuses me so let's shelf that for now lol and maybe the roman numerals are there just for aesthetic purposes? I don't know lol I don't even know why I responded now as I look at it more and more lol...

I can't figure out why all these symbols are coming together yet but it looks like a cool amulet. The front side I'll look at more tomorrow but maybe check out symbols for those elements and you might find something.

Maybe other people can shed some light on it better than I can. Does anybody know the name of the shape in the front image? The vortex-like shape? lol

Last edited:
Isnt there some big databases of symbols written, photographed, or handmade, that you can scroll through with ones original image, until one finds a match. .A bit like face-recognition software Some Anthropology university must have those, I think.

Last edited:
Isnt there some big databases of symbols written, photographed, or handmade, that you can scroll through with ones original image, until one finds a match. .A bit like face-recognition software Some Anthropology university must have those, I think.
If there is such a database, I'd love to use it, but I don't know what the name would be.

Back