Overtone singing by Anna-Maria Hefele

This woman has a truly awesome ability to sing two different notes at the same time:
polyphonic overtone singing - Anna-Maria Hefele

From Reality Sandwich:
Polyphonic Overtone Singing - Anna-Maria Hefele

Anna-Maria Hefele is a one woman vocal ensemble. Trained in overtone singing, she is able to manipulate the resonances of her voice to produce polyphonous melodies, producing a ghostly and enchanting sound.

It may seem like an inhuman ability, but apparently we’re all capable of it:

overtone singing is a voice technique where it seems like one person sings two notes at the same time.

You can sing the overtone scale on one fundamental. Another fundamental has its own overtone scale, so in order to have more overtones to sing nice melodies, you can use different fundamentals and change them while singing.

the video is live, and every human being is able learn overtone singing
icon_wink.gif
….well…not starting directly with polyphonic overtone singing…. but singing overtones on one fundamental isn’t too hard.

More videos:
Anna-Maria Hefele / Obertongesang

As part of the group Supersonus:
Rosary Sonata 1
RITUS

Anna-Maria's website:
http://www.anna-maria-hefele.com/

Doug

overtone singing is a voice technique where it seems like one person sings two notes at the same time.

Thanks for the post. However that description is not correct. It's not limited to two notes. There are people who can sing three, or even reportedly four, different notes at a time.

Listening carefully she's singing two notes all the time.The notes she can sing using her tongue position against her palate is base upon the fundamental note she's singing with her voice. Her harmonic overtone range appears to be five notes, I didn't count though. She is good. Much better than I can do.

I mentioned this type of music some time ago in
Songs that you feel are "spiritual" thread

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/songs-that-you-feel-are-spiritual.506/#post-12503

I learned myself to sing this way in early 1990s.

Interestingly, when I mentioned back then this type of singing to my classmates studying physics at the university and to the professors, they thought this is some kind of hoax (seeing the hostility to this kind of "woo" I did not dare to mention I can do it myself). Since then I am very sceptical about "sceptics". I am glad that now the overtone singing is mainstream.

Back