Parmenides - Ancient Greek Shaman

I very much appreciate what you're doing, Michael. One slight concern is that I'm wondering how long PK's translation of the poem is, and also, I suppose it will be copyright: if it's long, it could maybe exceed fair use if you intend to go through it all line-by-line. That doesn't mean I'm not interested: far from it, but there may be some other way to skin the cat you want to skin. Maybe by summarising the force of the poem in your own words, illustrating with perhaps a few snippets?

Hi Michael L, thanks for pointing this out. I checked in with Peter, his wife responded that planning to use such extensive material from the book would indeed require a copyright, which they are unable to extend at this time. So, I've deleted that post. There is a hole now, but I think we can jump over it. Onto your Plan B, which I've been thinking about while waiting for Peter's response. I'll post my thoughts about the poem in a few days, but first I'll need to re-read a few of the chapters.

What about just posting a standard translation of the poem and using that as the basis for discussion? Here's one:
http://philoctetes.free.fr/parmenidesunicode.htm

I'll take a look at the translation to see if I can use it. Kingsley's translation isn't standard from what I gather. He argues very convincingly that previous translations contain errors, partly this was due to an attempt to minimize the esoteric elements of the poem by assuming he was just using metaphor or waxing poetic, if you will. So I'll need to see to what extend the translation you linked to diverges and how I can present that in the current context. Thanks for the link.

I'll take a look at the translation to see if I can use it. Kingsley's translation isn't standard from what I gather. He argues very convincingly that previous translations contain errors, partly this was due to an attempt to minimize the esoteric elements of the poem by assuming he was just using metaphor or waxing poetic, if you will. So I'll need to see to what extend the translation you linked to diverges and how I can present that in the current context. Thanks for the link.
Okay. Here's some info on Burnett - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Burnet_(classicist))

I think I'm going to have to do without the Burnet translation. It diverges significantly from Kingsley and leads Burnet in the opposite direction to conclude this about Parmenides:
Here it becomes important to remember that he had been a Pythagorean himself, and that the poem is a renunciation of his former beliefs.
I'm not equipped to handle an academic debate on which translation is the more accurate. I assume Kingsley's is and to my knowledge his scholarship is not in question. Thanks for the suggestion though and the link to the poem, it is in turn linked to an online ancient greek dictionary, which will be fun to play with at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to have to do without the Burnet translation. It diverges significantly from Kingsley and leads Burnet in the opposite direction to conclude this about Parmenides: I'm not equipped to handle an academic debate on which translation is the more accurate. I assume Kingsley's is and to my knowledge his scholarship is not in question. Thanks for the suggestion though and the link to the poem, it is in turn linked to an online ancient greek dictionary, which will be fun to play with at some point.
Okay. Sorry it wasn't much help.

I think your best bet is what I suggested. Use your own words to explain the force of PK's translation and maybe quote a few snippets: a few hundred words' worth in total would probably be fair use.

I think your best bet is what I suggested. Use your own words to explain the force of PK's translation and maybe quote a few snippets: a few hundred words' worth in total would probably be fair use.

That is Plan B. It will be a few days before I post that though.

Hi Michael - I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Jules

Thanks. I'm working on it. The challenge with this book is that every sentence is significant and necessary. I'm re-reading large sections of it to prepare the post. That and the holidays are slowing me down a bit, but I'm making progress.

Reactions: K9!
Thanks. I'm working on it. The challenge with this book is that every sentence is significant and necessary. I'm re-reading large sections of it to prepare the post. That and the holidays are slowing me down a bit, but I'm making progress.
I'm grateful for the time you're putting in. Its a really interesting area.

Here is a little forshadowing of Parmenides by Kingsley,

"[This] is how logic once used to be before it was corrupted into reason" Reality, pg 76.

I'm almost finished reviewing the first half of the book, the part dealing with Parmenides, and should have the post up by next weekend.

Here is a little forshadowing of Parmenides by Kingsley,

"[This] is how logic once used to be before it was corrupted into reason" Reality, pg 76.

I'm almost finished reviewing the first half of the book, the part dealing with Parmenides, and should have the post up by next weekend.

I look forward to that, Michael. Meanwhile, have a merry Christmas! :)

Back